Jump to content
  • Join Today

    Join today and reduce ads presented

CousinRicky

So, how many conservatives

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

will be refusing or returning the $1,200 Socialist payments that will be made soon?  I mean, we need small government and we don't want them to get involved in our lives.  Reminds me of this classic conservative.

 

Edited by CousinRicky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

will be refusing or returning the $1,200 Socialist payments that will be made soon?  I mean, we need small government and we don't want them to get involved in our lives.  Reminds me of this classic conservative.

 

If I return it, can I go back to living normally? Ya know open up the restaurants and bars for those that return it? No? then yeah, i'll keep it. P.S. not even really a conservative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

will be refusing or returning the $1,200 Socialist payments that will be made soon?  I mean, we need small government and we don't want them to get involved in our lives.  Reminds me of this classic conservative.

 

I will bite not that I am a classic conservative. 

1) This would be a better argument for those receiving payments on the lower end than people that can be seen as getting their money back (something they would rather do 100 percent of the time). 

2) Having to make payments to people because you unilaterally decided to shut down their lives over a communicable disease is an argument for why big government has a tendency to create new issues to cater to rather than actually fixing anything it did not break or make worse. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

If I return it, can I go back to living normally? Ya know open up the restaurants and bars for those that return it? No? then yeah, i'll keep it. P.S. not even really a conservative. 

Pretty sure it is the same gov't doing both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Pretty sure it is the same gov't doing both.

exactly.....the payments are a part of their decision. it's not really a conservative/liberal thing. I'm sure the conservatives would love for the government to keep their money, but they also want the government to stay out of their lives and not tell them they have to stay home. As Puc pointed out some of these payments are just the government giving back what the government took through loss of revenue and for some, it doesn't even touch what they lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last I looked, I don't qualify.

Secondly, handing out checks as stimulus is a bad idea.  But it is the expectation.  The march to a nanny state continues.

I guess if I got one, I'd give it to my kids who are trying to get through the bloated, overpriced, indoctrinating US colleges.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

exactly.....the payments are a part of their decision. it's not really a conservative/liberal thing. I'm sure the conservatives would love for the government to keep their money, but they also want the government to stay out of their lives and not tell them they have to stay home. As Puc pointed out some of these payments are just the government giving back what the government took through loss of revenue and for some, it doesn't even touch what they lost. 

One could argue that the payments are a result of their decision.  I often don't get my point across clearly. I really wanted to post that video of Nelson making that idiotic statement and no one mentioned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right leaning libertarian here. I do not support the government handing out money. However, they are essentially returning the money they took from my paycheck last year. I don't see this as a socialist program, but rather proof that the government is taxing its citizens too high.

Additionally, I have a heart. People who would otherwise be working, paying their bills on time, and putting food on the table are now without a job, with no way to pay their bills, and no way to put food on the table because of something that was out of our control. Rather than making them suffer, I am 100% behind funds going to them to help them eat. That being said, I fully believe that the money that is being given out should instead be put in the unemployment fund. People who I just described, who are actually struggling could receive these funds via unemployment. People who are lucky, such as myself, and are still working wouldn't (and shouldn't) be receiving the $1,200. 

Also, in case you didn't know, the $1,200 is based on your 2019 AGI on your tax return. The amount is reduced $50 for every $1,000 above $75,000. So anyone making over $99k a year will be receiving nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

One could argue that the payments are a result of their decision.  I often don't get my point across clearly. I really wanted to post that video of Nelson making that idiotic statement and no one mentioned it.

got ya, that's on me, I didn't watch the video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

However, they are essentially returning the money they took from my paycheck last year. I don't see this as a socialist program, but rather proof that the government is taxing its citizens too high.

Or is printing like crazy right now.  It may help people and the economy now but it may also weaken future buying power.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...