• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did anyone who watched the ESPN360 "broadcast"

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

notice something the announcers said about 5 different times throughout the game?  They said "USF's passing game is extremely unsophisticated....even the routes the WR's run are very simplistic and very easy to cover."

I know we supposedly have good receivers, so are the routes being kept simple for the QB's or is our offensive scheme just that "low budget?"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

I wouldnt read into what they said too much. Judging by most of the things they said.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Those commentators were so on Pitt's jock! I thought they were so biased towards the Panthers that I tuned them out after a while.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

it is true to some extenet though.... just think.... if you have 4-5 WR's running routes, SOMEONE is bound to be open somewhere, but PJ was taking coverage sacks all day.  So he either cant see the plays develop or the pass routes are terrible

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

PJ gets happy feet as soon as he sees the primary WR being covered.  I believe his WR progressions include two WRs and then he gets to decide to run or take a sack.  Forget stepping outside the tackle box and throwing the ball away.  That's way to hi-tech.  Gotta save that stuff for the seniors only.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

There was one play where the announcers made a good point about USF's passing game. I forget exactly which play it was, but the point was: USF is keeping the tight end and the running back into block, which means there are only two receivers in the pattern, which leaves the QB with no one to throw to and is easy for the defense to cover. Which was correct. So maybe part of the problem in the Pitt game was poor offensive line play.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

The routes themselves are not the direct problem, it is the combination of them.  We do very little in terms of getting a safety to bite one direction or catching a linebacker out of position.

A classic example would be sending twin receivers into post and flag routes.  This would not work well vs many coverages unless the play lasts for a long time, as a safety in 2 or 3 deep zone can sit on that until a little after the routes break.

Now what if the inside receiver ran a seam or quick post, while the outside ran a stop and go?  The safety would see the stop, and likely cheat in on the post.  That opens up a lot more room for the stop n go.  This wouldnt work vs all coverages, but cover 2 and man coverage could potentially give up a touchdown.

The problem with setting plays up like that is you need a QB to be able to not only know the play, but also the intent of the play vs different defenses.  After all this, he still has to have pocket poise and throw the ball on time and place it at least decently.  He also must read the play, since things like the corner playing off the route or the safety leaving the post more open to play the outside in anticipation of such a play could result in a turnover.

It's a complex game for the QB and good defenses as well.  You don't just line up and do something, you have to understand the field.  Julmiste seems to have trouble doing this after he makes a mistake or gets rattled a bit, so its hard to scheme for him.  Part of this, though, is also on the OC.  Our OC has rarely impressed me over the past years, be he hobbie or smith.