• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PAT JULMISTE IS OUR QB! GET OVER IT!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

bien, you totally caught me off guard on your posts (both here and the "other" site). I was actually expecting to hear you defend the coaches and blame the everyone on the field, including PJ, for the lack of execution. This may a first that I strongly agree with most of your points. I'm not willing to take all blame away from PJ but I do think the receivers have compounded his problems. The thing is, I just can't help but think the coaches are not capable of teaching the proper fundamentals and techniques they need to properly execute on the field. If we had a quality OC and assistants then I think PJ and the recievers would be able to play at least well enough to supplement our awesome D and we probably would have won at both Penn St and Pitt. Miami would probably still be a loss but I really feel we let those other two wins get away.

Top that off with an obvious lack of ability on Smith's part to create and call plays and you end up with what we have...a disaster on offense.

I most likey disagree with you about changing the QB though. Unfortunately since it seems likely that we will not be changing staff, it may be our only hope to just keep changing QBs until we get lucky enough to find one that can make up for the coaching faults. Hell, this goes for WRs as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien
bien, you totally caught me off guard on your posts (both here and the "other" site). I was actually expecting to hear you defend the coaches and blame the everyone on the field, including PJ, for the lack of execution. This may a first that I strongly agree with most of your points. I'm not willing to take all blame away from PJ but I do think the receivers have compounded his problems. The thing is, I just can't help but think the coaches are not capable of teaching the proper fundamentals and techniques they need to properly execute on the field. If we had a quality OC and assistants then I think PJ and the recievers would be able to play at least well enough to supplement our awesome D and we probably would have won at both Penn St and Pitt. Miami would probably still be a loss but I really feel we let those other two wins get away.

Top that off with an obvious lack of ability on Smith's part to create and call plays and you end up with what we have...a disaster on offense.

I most likey disagree with you about changing the QB though. Unfortunately since it seems likely that we will not be changing staff, it may be our only hope to just keep changing QBs until we get lucky enough to find one that can make up for the coaching faults. Hell, this goes for WRs as well.

Bull, I admit when I am wrong.  I am not taking away that Pat Julmiste could play better, but he is making plays, but he can't make all the plays.  I am shocked people are absolutely making him the scapegoat for some blatant play calling, and missed personnel moves.  Even the announcers for the Pitt game openly questioned some obviously stupid moves, i.e. benching PJ, then Denson, and having Denson throw, on a roll out, the receivers that were not completing patterns and ignoring the first down markers.  When announcers are questioning your players execution (they didn't have much bad to say about PJ, actually it almost was like they felt sorry for him).

Again, PJ's not worse than WVU's QB's but they've got a staff that can adapt, and work to their strengths and talents.  All I see from our staff is poorly executed strategies, and a rapid abandoning of the game plan once the slightest adversity strikes.  It's sad really.

Bullheaded, I am wrong about defending Smith and crew.  In fact, should Leavitt not see the error of his ways my defense of him in the off-season will wear thin as well.  I frankly believe that nothing short of going undefeated, and superb offensive execution will change my stance toward the offensive coaches.  There is just to much I have issue with- why is Amarri Jackson ahead of Peyton, the WR play in general, abandoning the running game too early against PSU, Miami, and Pitt, where is Carlton Hill and why is wallowing on the back of the depth chart at WR, you get play makers the ball anyway you can- make him a **** rb/slash player but get him the **** ball, why is Denson being forced in at the most inopportune times then yanked after he makes a bad play (that's horrible for both Denson's and PJ's psyche), where is the QB development, where are the plays that can play to the strength of these QB's, all I heard in the off-season as bragging about this new spread-formation and how they studied in Gainesville under Urban Meyer- where is it, all I've seen is a few shovel passes and option pitches, and just the play calling and non-systematic approach to play calling.

That's a lot for them to overcome.  What's funny there is almost nothing wrong on defense.  When there's problems we know we've got good defensive coaches (we already know that to be a fact), and you see what good coaches do they fix problems.  Last year the defense had lots of problems, guess what our good defensive coaches fixed the problems.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I can't really add anything to that, I agree completely.

On the positive note about the D, I really have been impressed with their play this year. Actually I was never really concerned about the D last year since they were so young and our coaches have a great track record in developing the players, somehow I just felt confident in the coaches ability to bring them along....pretty much the exact opposite of how I feel about the offensive coaches. And this past game, yes they let a couple big plays happen but how long were they out there on the field? I've gotta think that after the first 5 minutes of the first half the offense MAY have had what? a total of 2 or 3 minutes on the field? Seemed every time they got the ball it was either 3 and out or worse 1 and fumble or 1 and interception. You just can't ask a defense to practically play an entire half and still be fresh enough to play at the top of their game...especially a speed oriented D.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

I can't believe that everyone (including the coaches) are all turned off to Denson.  He DID earn the starting job in spring.  One bad "deer-in-the-headlights" series against Penn State and he's out?  We haven't seen what Denson can do yet. Every other time he comes in to the game he's in a come-from behind situation, or in mop-up duty.  

When he makes a miskate, they pull him.  If they are going to put him in the ballgame, let him play for more that 1 series.  I think if he had some time and took a significant number of snaps and still stinks, then put Julmiste back in.  We've been seeing Pat for 2+ years now, we know what he can do, and what he can't.    

Denson, who knows?  

Guest S.  Bien
I can't believe that everyone (including the coaches) are all turned off to Denson.  He DID earn the starting job in spring.  One bad "deer-in-the-headlights" series against Penn State and he's out?  We haven't seen what Denson can do yet. Every other time he comes in to the game he's in a come-from behind situation, or in mop-up duty.  

When he makes a miskate, they pull him.  If they are going to put him in the ballgame, let him play for more that 1 series.  I think if he had some time and took a significant number of snaps and still stinks, then put Julmiste back in.  We've been seeing Pat for 2+ years now, we know what he can do, and what he can't.    

Denson, who knows?  

Don't blame us.  If I was Denson I would be wondering if Smith didn't like him or something. Who brings a guy in on 1st and 10 inside our 8 for his first series.  Has him execute two extremely difficult pass plays, then after you throw an INT yanks you for the rest of the game.

Next time Denson should see if he could get some lotion to go with that....

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Maybe it's the gold teeth...

Guest tulderbull

Just a few question, How can C.Hill not know the play book.  This is the most unimaginative offense in the country.  I've said it once and will again and again.  If he can't start this year he never will as long as Smith is the QB coach.

I also don't understand why we don't use Denson in a different light.  He is a spread offense QB not a drop back guy.  The funny thing is our offensive coaching staff spent time with the gators and learned some from them.  (not saying that is a good things now)  But I think Denson can run that offense especially with Hall and Ponton.  Misdirection here roll out here. Option here then play action throw deep to your receivers.  That offense would be perfect for him.

Instead the idiot Smith does drop back out routes with a guy with a weak arm.  Hell if your going to throw the out do it on a rool out you moran.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Ok, I am far from a football coach.

But look at all of the suggestions from the multiple posters in this thread.  WHAT IN THE HELL IS REALLY GOING ON WITH THIS TEAM?  Certainly these coaches are "better" then us, that's why they are being paid to do this, it's their job.

So, if I mess us at work, I get corrected, or figure out how I can fix what I did wrong so I don't get fired.  Is there any accountability on this team with the coaches?

It all comes down to the coaches one way or an other.  

Why aren't they doing some of the things we have suggested multiple, multiple times?  Is anyone there recommending things like this and the coaches feel they can't be done?  Or, are we all totally off base here?

What's really going on?   ???  :-/

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

sbien-you made some great points than you post:Again, PJ's not worse than WVU's QB's but they've got a staff that can adapt, and work to their strengths and talents.

i must respectfully disagree.pj is not better than any qb on wv's team

zonald posts: WHAT IN THE HELL IS REALLY GOING ON WITH THIS TEAM?  Certainly these coaches are "better" then us, that's why they are being paid to do this, it's their job.

to this i say don't be so sure.there is no a doubt in my mind i could do  a better job from 2 years ago than leavitt has done.

leavitt did a fabulous job creating the program but he hasn't built on it.forwhatever reason, he has surrounded himself with inept people and the program is floating along instead of steamrolling with top recruiting class after top recruiting class

i think usf should consider bringing in butch davis

QB CAROUSEL: Although Pat Julmiste was replaced by Courtney Denson for a second consecutive game, he remains USF's starter.

"He was 6 for 8 in the first half [against Pittsburgh] throwing the ball," USF coach Jim Leavitt said. "That means he did some good things there. I do have trust in Courtney. I think Courtney is a good football player. I'd like to play Courtney more, but right now Pat gives us the best shot in my opinion. At this point I really believe that.

"If you know about my personality, I'll lock into somebody. I locked into [former QBs] Chad Barnhardt a long time ... and into Marquel Blackwell for years. I do stay with people but I do have high expectations and all our players do also."