• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Closes Regular Season at No. 6/4 UConn as Part of Big Monday on ESPN2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

44 minutes ago, &rew Bull said:

They have not. They've lost to all of those other teams loaded with American talent just as many times as they've lost to us.

That's what I thought. And for many of those years we were the only conference team you could conceivably call a threat to them without being laughed out of the building.

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,067
  • Days Won:  56

17 hours ago, SittingBull said:

Show me any teams that have beaten UConn that have more than a few foreign players.  I’ll wait.

UCF has beaten USF the last 4 times they have met, how many foreign players has coach Abe recruited during her tenure, which began April 1, 2016.  OBTW, UCF beat WSU 95 - 50 tonite.  USF managed. 56 - 50 against the Shockers last month.

It's amazing to me that after years of dominating UCF, you just want to look at the past two and hold them up as some kind of ultimate barometer. USF had won 10 of the previous 11 against UCF under Jose - with plenty of foreign players getting minutes. And I'll say it again, if Laksa and Ferreira were in the lineup and healthy last year, would you have taken UCF in those two games? I'd take that bet.

I guess the point you're trying to make (and I've seen it before from you) is that "Coach Abe" and UCF has somehow passed Jose by because they won two games a year ago (by 13 and 3) against an injury depleted team missing its top two scorers, and then two more this year. If you think it's some kind of serious trend that's happening, realize that two of UCF's top three scorers this year are seniors - averaging nearly 30 ppg combined. We start no seniors. Let's see how they replace those 30 points every night next season and stack up against Jose's club.

With no UConn, I fully expect our foreign-laden USF team to be the preseason pick to win the AAC next year, since two of Cincinnati's top three scorers are also seniors.

Now, I know you'll respond with some marginally thought-out argument, but just take a minute to digest what I've written and recognize the logic. Sports are cyclical and UCF has won 4 in a row against USF after being dominated for nearly 30 years. They did so against a team ravaged by injuries to its top players last year and against an inexperienced team this year while they fielded a roster of upperclassmen. I guess we'll see, but I have a feeling it's going to be a short trend.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

4 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

It's amazing to me that after years of dominating UCF, you just want to look at the past two and hold them up as some kind of ultimate barometer. USF had won 10 of the previous 11 against UCF under Jose - with plenty of foreign players getting minutes. And I'll say it again, if Laksa and Ferreira were in the lineup and healthy last year, would you have taken UCF in those two games? I'd take that bet.

I guess the point you're trying to make (and I've seen it before from you) is that "Coach Abe" and UCF has somehow passed Jose by because they won two games a year ago (by 13 and 3) against an injury depleted team missing its top two scorers, and then two more this year. If you think it's some kind of serious trend that's happening, realize that two of UCF's top three scorers this year are seniors - averaging nearly 30 ppg combined. We start no seniors. Let's see how they replace those 30 points every night next season and stack up against Jose's club.

With no UConn, I fully expect our foreign-laden USF team to be the preseason pick to win the AAC next year, since two of Cincinnati's top three scorers are also seniors.

Now, I know you'll respond with some marginally thought-out argument, but just take a minute to digest what I've written and recognize the logic. Sports are cyclical and UCF has won 4 in a row against USF after being dominated for nearly 30 years. They did so against a team ravaged by injuries to its top players last year and against an inexperienced team this year while they fielded a roster of upperclassmen. It's going to be a short trend.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

11 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Sports are cyclical and UCF has won 4 in a row against USF after being dominated for nearly 30 years.

This is something that some ardent fans just refuse to acknowledge. I get the passion but it shouldn't be used to make rash judgement coaching decisions ..... we dominated the Kanigits because we were always a little step above them in conf affiliation and should have dominated them. We're on a level playing field now and this where the cyclical aspects of sports should kick in.

Guest Jonesy Bull

I wouldn't go as far to say that ucf has bypassed us in Women's Basketball because of the last 2 years.  The circumstances for our Women's basketball team (especially last year) has been the worst luck I've ever seen for any team sports program.

If they continue to progress and we don't then they will have passed us by to an extent.  But not yet.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Now, I know you'll respond with some marginally thought-out argument, but just take a minute to digest what I've written and recognize the logic. Sports are cyclical and UCF has won 4 in a row against USF after being dominated for nearly 30 years. They did so against a team ravaged by injuries to its top players last year and against an inexperienced team this year while they fielded a roster of upperclassmen. I guess we'll see, but I have a feeling it's going to be a short trend.

I still believe if we had one of the two senior players we would have been a lot more competitive last year against the juggernaut that is UCONN. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Triple B said:

This is something that some ardent fans just refuse to acknowledge. I get the passion but it shouldn't be used to make rash judgement coaching decisions ..... we dominated the Kanigits because we were always a little step above them in conf affiliation and should have dominated them. We're on a level playing field now and this where the cyclical aspects of sports should kick in.

We live in a reactionary, short attention spand society today, as you know.

We that grew up in the 70s and 80s and before that understand this much better than the technology driven millenial generation......not to disparage millenials. I actually think they have alot of other qualities.

Guest SittingBull
2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Since Coach Abe was hired UCF has beaten Jose 4 out of the last 7 games.   What’s your excuse for Jose losing the first game of her tenure?   
https://gousfbulls.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2016-17/ucf/boxscore/9095

You seem to like excuses for losses, injuries have been more common since Jose recruited more and more foreign players.  Heck he has a player sitting on the bench (3 years) who has not played in a single game for the Bulls, and her injuries happened while playing for her national team, not while practicing with the Bulls.

2 hours ago, SittingBull said:

Since Coach Abe was hired UCF has beaten Jose 4 out of the last 7 games.   What’s your excuse for Jose losing the first game of her tenure?   
https://gousfbulls.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2016-17/ucf/boxscore/9095

You seem to like excuses for losses, injuries have been more common since Jose recruited more and more foreign players.  Heck he has a player sitting on the bench (3 years) who has not played in a single game for the Bulls, and her injuries happened while playing for her national team, not while practicing with the Bulls.

What’s my excuse for the first loss? So your claim is that we should NEVER lose a game to them? Ever? Can’t take it anymore. See ya.

Edited by Dave_Glaser