• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF QB: The Answer Could be.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Dang Sbien...two sweet posts.  I think those are the thoughts about our OC I couldn't figure out how to translate into writing w/the exception that PJ's inability to make plays has hurt USF on the road.  His reading progressions are pretty shallow before he gets antsy in the pocket.  He needs to be more decisive like vs. UL.  Plus, in the first half, USF has 3rd and long, about 8 I think, and PJ slides about a yard short of the first down.  My group including me thought he should of given up the body for the first.  It was kinda down hill offensively after that for the Bulls.  But you are right Smith's calling was weak at best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien
Dang Sbien...two sweet posts.  I think those are the thoughts about our OC I couldn't figure out how to translate into writing w/the exception that PJ's inability to make plays has hurt USF on the road.  His reading progressions are pretty shallow before he gets antsy in the pocket.  He needs to be more decisive like vs. UL.  Plus, in the first half, USF has 3rd and long, about 8 I think, and PJ slides about a yard short of the first down.  My group including me thought he should of given up the body for the first.  It was kinda down hill offensively after that for the Bulls.  But you are right Smith's calling was weak at best.

But Doug, PJ is decisive when there is a clear cut play or opportunity.  In fact, when there is a designated pass play to make he can rifle it in with the best of them.  Did you see that three step drop rifle into a sprinting Hall, in stride, in his arms.  That's all PJ, but that's where PJ is best.  Not dropping him back into these stupid 3rd and 9 situations and telling him to "GO MAKE A PLAY."  That's not where he'll excel.

Go run more set offensive plays where PJ knows exactly where the pass play needs to go and the check downs are easier to make, i.e. TE and RB.  Go like TTech, where other receivers run picks and as decoys to get one specific receiver open.  PJ is decisive when the right opportunity is available or his receivers get open.

Oh and don't get me started on the piss poor play of the WR's.  I can't understand how so many fine athletes can just stand in place, or run so many ineffective routes.  Hasn't Dawsey taught them the art of finding the first down marker or cutting off their routes and helping the QB.  i mean once PJ starts to take off and these guys aren't open on their initial move some of them just GIVE UP!  

There's just a lot wrong with this offense, and no one on the field is helping each other out on offense.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Bien,

For the most part, I have to agree with your analysis.  One part I'd somewhat disagree on is PJ's physical skills.  Unfortunately I couldn't make it either to Pitt or the Dome, so I listened from home.  The one play call that stuck out to me was a screen pass that was described by Jim Louk as a "fastball".  IMO, PJ just doesn't have great touch.  Sure, every once in a while, he'll throw a nice ball (Hall's TD reception), but for the most part, he's all over the map.  

As far as coaching is concerned, you are right on.  I don't understand why they are not calling plays that they know these kids can execute.  Why run this spread offense, only to run the ball between the tackles?  We should be setting up in either the I or the pro set, run between the tackles, and throw in some play action passing.  The spread formation is proving to be too complex for our guys to run, and we are not utilizing the talent that we've got on the field.  Why are we not running some skinny posts with Payton or Ce. Hill?  Mix in a tight end once in a while.  It just absolutely dumbfounded me that we would continue to run reverses/end arounds.  Do the coaches forget that the opponents watch film?  I don't profess to be some sort of genius coach in hiding, but if we can all figure out that our offensive scheme doesn't work, why can't our coaches?

Something else I'm glad was brought up.  Why do the coaches even bother bringing in Courtney Denson?  Are they trying to say "see, he's just not the answer, PJ is." ?  I mean I don't think that they could possibly bring this poor kid in under any worse circumstances.  As was pointed out, why in the world would you have this kid firing off passes when he's coming right off of the bench?  His strength from what we know of him is his elusiveness.  Put him in some situations where he can run the ball!!  Run an option set.  Call a QB keeper.  Something other than some tough throws right off the bat.

Hopefully, CJL will recognize the issues that we have our offensive play calling/coaching.  I wouldn't throw all the "O" coaches under the bus, but Smith and Dawsey do have a lot of work to do.  

One last thing.  I know it has been mentioned, but not only is Smith making very questionable play calls, but his QB development is non existant.  I'd say that is strike one and strike two against Coach Smith.  

Guest S.  Bien

The real sad part is honestly the call to put Denson in the game, and in one case start him at PSU- could have cost us two games.

We were only down by 1 TD against Pitt.  If we even go three and out and punt we're in the game.  Did you know that in the fourth quarter PJ drove us into Pitt territory three times!  All three were inside the 30, and in all three instances Pitt played a more prevent because all we did was have PJ drop back in a run-or-pass mode.  We gave the ball over on downs on all three drives.  Three FG's, and we win, providing we didn't surrender that INT by Denson, maybe only being down 1 TD wouldn't have made Smith abandon the run so easily and we score a TD on one of those drives and get a FG to win it.

The point is his personnel management insured Denson was playing at the most inopportune times, executing plays that were risky and he wasn't comfortable enough to perform, and subsequently turned the ball over and gave PSU, and Pitt the game.

Again, I don't blame pj or Denson.  I blame the staff for putting those guys in such tough situations then calling on them to do things they are not prepared to do.

There's just a lot wrong with this offense, and no one on the field is helping each other out on offense.

On the road there is but there have been no signs of this in RJS.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

As far as coaching is concerned, you are right on.  I don't understand why they are not calling plays that they know these kids can execute.  Why run this spread offense, only to run the ball between the tackles?  We should be setting up in either the I or the pro set, run between the tackles, and throw in some play action passing.  The spread formation is proving to be too complex for our guys to run, and we are not utilizing the talent that we've got on the field.  .  

Great post. I agree totally. I hope the coaches are looking in the mirror and realize it is their responsibility to put the players in a position to succeed.

Asking PJ to run a pass happy offense is like asking Roger Clemens to play 3rd base. Use him to the best of his abilities.

Line up in the I . Smash mouth 2 TE sets. Make use of Hall, Ponton and Simson. Sweeps. Let them get the edge. Then use some play action. Let our 6'5" receivers go up and battle for the ball 30 yards down the field. PJ is not known for his touch, why insist on having him throw little dink passes. Let him use his strong arm with downfield passes. Quit asking him to do stuff that does not come naturally to him.

Put him in a position to succeed.

One more flaw about PJ is his inabillity to step outside the tackles and throw the ball away when there is nothing.   Now this might be teh result of looking over his shoulder at Denson.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

The spread formation is proving to be too complex for our guys to run

We got a shipment of new furniture at work the other day and had to assemble everything ourselves. Well, they forgot the instructions so all we had was schematic diagram to figure out where everything went. Well, the furniture wasn't particularly complicated to put together but we had zero help in deciphering the diagram and no-one with experience to teach us any better. So, you can imagine the the clusterf#ck of professionals trying to figure out how to assemble the **** thing.

Kind of made me think...this must be how things are going on at the bulls practice. Hey PJ, Denson, CHill, Grothe, here is the playbook now you figure out how to execute it! Coaching? lol, ok...PJ, you pass....payton, you catch....got it? Ok, now lets beat Pitt!!

Guest S.  Bien

We got a shipment of new furniture at work the other day and had to assemble everything ourselves. Well, they forgot the instructions so all we had was schematic diagram to figure out where everything went. Well, the furniture wasn't particularly complicated to put together but we had zero help in deciphering the diagram and no-one with experience to teach us any better. So, you can imagine the the clusterf#ck of professionals trying to figure out how to assemble the **** thing.

Kind of made me think...this must be how things are going on at the bulls practice. Hey PJ, Denson, CHill, Grothe, here is the playbook now you figure out how to execute it! Coaching? lol, ok...PJ, you pass....payton, you catch....got it? Ok, now lets beat Pitt!!

that what it appears like on the field.  I think PJ can easily execute an effective spread offense, but I don't think this is an effective spread offense.

Put him in something like what Texas Tech has, believe it or not TTech isn't that complex, they have 4 WR's wide, one receiver is the go to play, the other guys are decoy's, set picks, or block, they might have two on pattern.  The RB is the check down.  Bam, go wide to Peyton on a crossing sprint.

Why are we not running 5-7 yard outs.  Pat can finally complete those with consistency, why not do those until the defense stops it like MB did in 2001.  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

smith has been the achilles heel of this team for the last 4 yrs

i hope we shoe him the door and soon!

i wanted to stay off his back until the season ended but NOTHING HAS CHANGED with him at the helm.