• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

if judy g called and made you head coach today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

what  moves would you make

I do not accept the premise of the question...

Let's change it to this: if CJL caled and made you OC today, what changes would you make??

1) Look for pass plays that include POST patterns.  You see, the post pattern puts the WRs behind the safeties.  Now, this works when safeties sneak up and play the run -- which Pitt did all day.

2) Make sure that our pass plays include check down receivers -- Hall out in the flat (as opposed to over the middle).  When the RB sneaks through the line the MLB can cover him easily.  If Hall sneaks out into the flat, he is less covered and can get

3) Teach the WRs that catching the ball is more important than any YAC.  Peyton dropped a good pass because he turned his head to start running before the ball hit his hands.  I would use the baseball team's ball machine and tennis balls -- get them used to catching.

4) I would penalize the PJ everytime he tucked the ball and started running.  Pat "Happy Feet" Julmiste needs to learn how to look at other receivers.

5) I would teach CD to look off defenders.  He was looking at the WR from the snap until he threw the INT.  "Telegraph" isn't strong enough on this play.

6) If we are able to run the ball, I would run every play.  Against Pitt, USF was able to get 4, 5, 6 yards per carry on most carries.  Why would you throw the ball on 3rd and 3?

7) I would abandon the shot gun and spread.  Always keep an RB back to pick up the blitz -- no blitz, then the RB can be a check down receiver.  I would also give PJ three-step drops to quick slants and short crossing rounts most of the time.

8) Play action.  You can't run a play action when your QB lines up deeper than the RB.  Pitt was lined up against the run most of the game, play action passes would have been much more successful than end arounds or reverses.

These are just a few of the things I would do...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Well I wouldn't call an end around on the second play of the game especially since the first paly picked up 9 and left you two downs to gain one yard, keep a drive alive and play ball control offense.  i don't know why but right after the second play I feared we would lose this game.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

usfjim-you post makes way too much sense

dabull-you are also correct

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

what  moves would you make

i would call butch davis to take my place

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Fire my offensive coordinator and hire someone who has a reputation for developing QBs and who knows how to run a balanced offense.

The End.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Get our best offensive player the ball as often as I could.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

that too.  which means the QB shouldnt have more carries than him.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

that too.  which means the QB shouldnt have more carries than him.

That goes back to what I said in another thread about him being afraid to throw the ball.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

8) Play action.  You can't run a play action when your QB lines up deeper than the RB.  Pitt was lined up against the run most of the game, play action passes would have been much more successful than end arounds or reverses.

I kept waiting to hear this yesterday and never did :-[