• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Hockey Just won the SCHC Championship

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,214
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, smazza said:

why doesnt the school upgrade to an ncaa sport?

Then they would have to fund it. We already under fund our biggest sports and hold them back.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

16 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

The best part of this is the fact that Walt Flanigan was the commissioner.  Jay and Silent Bob once got stoned with his dog.

An obscure, erroneous reference that I'm not sure how many will get. Never saw the movie but am familiar with Flanagan only through CBM ...

Guest Jonesy Bull
37 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

http://icebulls.pointstreaksites.com/view/icebulls/team-history-35

The USF hockey team started with a thought of two students who loved and missed hockey while attending USF in 1987. They had been at USF for a couple of years and played in some men’s league games at the only local rink, Sunblades in Clearwater Florida. Eric Mattson and Chip McCarthy decided that they wanted to start a USF team, so they began looking into the idea of a hockey club.

They researched the idea and found out that the closest college hockey team was in Atlanta, Georgia. Georgia Tech, Georgia State and the University of Georgia all had club teams and were playing in the SCHA (Southern Collegiate Hockey Association. They contacted the then Commissioner Walt Flanigan to find out how they could start a team and join the SCHA. Mr. Flanigan sent them the information they needed and the two of them went to work.

Mattson and McCarthy researched the proper way to start a new club sport through the school and made sure they followed the proper guidelines so that the school would recognize the team as an official club. The process was very time consuming so when another student and friend, John Risinger, offered to help they accepted. After going through all the red tape and getting the club started they went back to the SCHA for their approval. The trio traveled to Atlanta at their own expense and made their pitch to Walt Flanigan and the rest of the SCHA. Several weeks latter came the good news. The USF Bulls were accepted to play for a one-year probationary period for the 1989-1990 season.

The best part of this is the fact that Walt Flanigan was the commissioner.  Jay and Silent Bob once got stoned with his dog.

The guy that scored the first goal, Larry Sullivan, was a friend of some friends of mine.  Never knew he played hockey with the Ice Bulls

Very cool and interesting story.  Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea that the IceBulls started as a thought way back in 87.  That was even before the Lightning were here, so there was absolutely no Hockey history in Tampa at that point.  When they actually start playing real Club games?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So would be similar to high school age hoops players just playing on AAU travel teams year round and no high school?

Yes, exactly. The same thing is also starting to take place up here in lacrosse. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, Jonesy Bull said:

Very cool and interesting story.  Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea that the IceBulls started as a thought way back in 87.  That was even before the Lightning were here, so there was absolutely no Hockey history in Tampa at that point.  When they actually start playing real Club games?

'89-90, there's more information in the link

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

'89-90, there's more information in the link

I was a Senior that year, and have always been a Sports fan.  There wasn't much publicity about that team on campus, because I never had heard of them at that point.

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

An obscure, erroneous reference that I'm not sure how many will get. Never saw the movie but am familiar with Flanagan only through CBM ...

And thus the downfall of our society

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/156f18b3-eacd-4689-9295-d34f403ce257

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

And thus the downfall of our society

Of which I'm contributing .... I'd have had no clue who Flanagan was if I didn't watch Comic Book Men.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Of which I'm contributing .... I'd have had no clue who Flanagan was if I didn't watch Comic Book Men.

Do yourself a favor and go watch Kevin Smith's stuff.   Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks 2, Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, etc.   Great stuff

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Do yourself a favor and go watch Kevin Smith's stuff.   Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks 2, Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, etc.   Great stuff

I would put you around 40-46 years old yes? I have buddies around that age and they made me sit through all of those. Clerks (I love when Jay sings “fuk fuk mother fuk noise 2 drinking beers drinking beers” 😂)was good but the others I could not get into. I think I missed out by half a generation. 
This **** still makes me laugh: 

Edited by NewEnglandBull