• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Hockey Just won the SCHC Championship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Don’t expect NHL though. There is a huge drop off from D1 college hockey (where the average age is 23 years old...with lots of international players) and club hockey. 

Why are college hockey players so much older than other sports? 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

We live close to the Advent Health rink and could make it easier than campus. Wasn't aware of upcoming games until recently. Definitely would go to one. We went there for a drink one time and watched some random men's league game for a few minutes. Kinda cool being that close to the ice.

Friday, I'm taking Mrs. S to see Andrea Bocelli. God knows she deserves it. It's been a month since we've been to a hockey game up there. Even though it's a drive for us, the game is free and  you can make reservations at Top Shelf, so we thought it might be a nice Saturday night out.

Edited by swamprat

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

56 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Don’t expect NHL though. There is a huge drop off from D1 college hockey (where the average age is 23 years old...with lots of international players) and club hockey. 

Yeah, it's not the NHL, but the hockey is not bad by any means. The team is well run, organized, they play exceptionally hard, and they have fun. I love hockey, so I'm not just ra-raing this stuff. Mrs. S and I thoroughly enjoy these matches and recommend it to everyone.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Why are college hockey players so much older than other sports? 

Because most play 3 years of major junior hockey prior to college. Up here the high school programs are pretty much all gone as the good players go right into the various levels of junior hockey and this is where the colleges recruit. Some will only play two years of college hockey before going pro/drafted. Thus, in many ways D1 college hockey is just another step in the minors. 

31 minutes ago, swamprat said:

Yeah, it's not the NHL, but the hockey is not bad by any means. The team is well run, organized, they play exceptionally hard, and they have fun. I love hockey, so I'm not just ra-raing this stuff. Mrs. S and I thoroughly enjoy these matches and recommend it to everyone.

Completely agree. I’ve watch a few games on line and it’s not bad at all but it is a different level for sure. 

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

16 hours ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

Hockey is our best sport currently, club or not. Who would have thought a Florida team is more dominate at hockey than football?

why doesnt the school upgrade to an ncaa sport?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,881
  • Days Won:  33

17 hours ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

Hockey is our best sport currently, club or not. Who would have thought a Florida team is more dominate at hockey than football?

We were dominant in hockey before we even had Football.

The team I played on went to the semi-finals at nationals in 1996.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, smazza said:

why doesnt the school upgrade to an ncaa sport?

Cost cost and cost. And you would have to do it twice for Title 9. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, John Lewis said:

We were dominant in hockey before we even had Football.

The team I played on went to the semi-finals at nationals in 1996.

I didn't realize that we had a Hockey team that went back that far.  Was is set up the same way as a Club Team of USF?

I was at USF from 86 - 90, and I never heard of a Hockey team, so I'm assuming it doesn't go back that far?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

53 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I didn't realize that we had a Hockey team that went back that far.  Was is set up the same way as a Club Team of USF?

I was at USF from 86 - 90, and I never heard of a Hockey team, so I'm assuming it doesn't go back that far?

http://icebulls.pointstreaksites.com/view/icebulls/team-history-35

The USF hockey team started with a thought of two students who loved and missed hockey while attending USF in 1987. They had been at USF for a couple of years and played in some men’s league games at the only local rink, Sunblades in Clearwater Florida. Eric Mattson and Chip McCarthy decided that they wanted to start a USF team, so they began looking into the idea of a hockey club.

They researched the idea and found out that the closest college hockey team was in Atlanta, Georgia. Georgia Tech, Georgia State and the University of Georgia all had club teams and were playing in the SCHA (Southern Collegiate Hockey Association. They contacted the then Commissioner Walt Flanigan to find out how they could start a team and join the SCHA. Mr. Flanigan sent them the information they needed and the two of them went to work.

Mattson and McCarthy researched the proper way to start a new club sport through the school and made sure they followed the proper guidelines so that the school would recognize the team as an official club. The process was very time consuming so when another student and friend, John Risinger, offered to help they accepted. After going through all the red tape and getting the club started they went back to the SCHA for their approval. The trio traveled to Atlanta at their own expense and made their pitch to Walt Flanigan and the rest of the SCHA. Several weeks latter came the good news. The USF Bulls were accepted to play for a one-year probationary period for the 1989-1990 season.

The best part of this is the fact that Walt Flanigan was the commissioner.  Jay and Silent Bob once got stoned with his dog.

The guy that scored the first goal, Larry Sullivan, was a friend of some friends of mine.  Never knew he played hockey with the Ice Bulls

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Up here the high school programs are pretty much all gone as the good players go right into the various levels of junior hockey and this is where the colleges recruit.

So would be similar to high school age hoops players just playing on AAU travel teams year round and no high school?