• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF at UT Travel Tips

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  309
  • Days Won:  0

A few things I'd pass along.

Plan on a minimum of 3-4 days.

Austin is a fun town.  If you are really into live music stay there. If not stay in San Antonio or New Braunfels.  Especially if you have kids or not into that scene.

San Antonio offers more touristy things and should have much cheaper lodging.

BBQ: Don't be an idiot and stand in line for hours at Franklin BBQ.  Drive to Luling, Lockhart, New Braunfels or Driftwood to get awesome BBQ.  You'll actually get a table and enjoy it more.  A few names to research for BBQ: Salt Lick, Black's, Cooper's, Kruez, City Market, etc...Roadside BBQ at Rudy's is solid.

Many spots offer complimentary beans...so find out first.  Cabrito at Cooper's is usually really good. Beef is King...pork is hard to find.  If you like lean Brisket make sure you request it.

Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is awesome.  Best natural water park in America.

The Paseo Del Rio (River Walk) is really fun for drinking.  Take the barge ride to view the River Walk early in the morning. If you wanna save a few bucks stay 1 or 2 blocks instead of overlooking the river.

Fiesta Texas is fun for the kids but pretty much similar to other theme parks.

Air Travel: SAT or AUS. Non-stop flights from TPA, PIE, MCO and SFB

Weather:. Expect 95-100 degrees.  USF section will be on the sunny side.  

Alamo: Do it only, you need an hour.  Literally about 300 feet from the Riverwalk.  If you have a day trip planned.  Try Fredericksburg, Boerne, Bandera, Wimberley, San Antonio Missions

Parking on gameday:  I used to find parking south of campus on the north side of downtown.  Have not been to a game at UT in 10 years though.  If you are in good shape the 3/4 mile walk to the stadium might be the way to go.

Finally for you Football fanatics: SMU is at Texas State on the same day.  Texas St is about 30 mins south of Austin on I-35 heading south towards San Antonio.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, TexanMark said:

A few things I'd pass along.

Plan on a minimum of 3-4 days.

Austin is a fun town.  If you are really into live music stay there. If not stay in San Antonio or New Braunfels.  Especially if you have kids or not into that scene.

San Antonio offers more touristy things and should have much cheaper lodging.

BBQ: Don't be an idiot and stand in line for hours at Franklin BBQ.  Drive to Luling, Lockhart, New Braunfels or Driftwood to get awesome BBQ.  You'll actually get a table and enjoy it more.  A few names to research for BBQ: Salt Lick, Black's, Cooper's, Kruez, City Market, etc...Roadside BBQ at Rudy's is solid.

Many spots offer complimentary beans...so find out first.  Cabrito at Cooper's is usually really good. Beef is King...pork is hard to find.  If you like lean Brisket make sure you request it.

Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is awesome.  Best natural water park in America.

The Paseo Del Rio (River Walk) is really fun for drinking.  Take the barge ride to view the River Walk early in the morning. If you wanna save a few bucks stay 1 or 2 blocks instead of overlooking the river.

Fiesta Texas is fun for the kids but pretty much similar to other theme parks.

Air Travel: SAT or AUS. Non-stop flights from TPA, PIE, MCO and SFB

Weather:. Expect 95-100 degrees.  USF section will be on the sunny side.  

Alamo: Do it only, you need an hour.  Literally about 300 feet from the Riverwalk.  If you have a day trip planned.  Try Fredericksburg, Boerne, Bandera, Wimberley, San Antonio Missions

Parking on gameday:  I used to find parking south of campus on the north side of downtown.  Have not been to a game at UT in 10 years though.  If you are in good shape the 3/4 mile walk to the stadium might be the way to go.

Finally for you Football fanatics: SMU is at Texas State on the same day.  Texas St is about 30 mins south of Austin on I-35 heading south towards San Antonio.

Any chance this is a night game? 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

40 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Any chance this is a night game? 

0.0000000001%

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

4 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

0.0000000001%

I still think that's a high number

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

0.0000000001%

No way I am sitting in that heat...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  442

May make the trip , thanks for the valuable information. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

My wife says we may make the trip but no one she's sitting in upper deck in 100 degree heat. She'll watch from a bar if we go.   Pretty sure the visitors are upstairs now. She doesn't do well with heights.  Austin was listed as one of 7 don't miss places in the US for this year by some magazine or paper.  Want to go but the heat and the beat down may have us go on a non football trip.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  309

54 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No way I am sitting in that heat...

It's a dry heat.  LOL

Seriously, way less humidity but mid afternoon is scalding if above 90.

• Topic Count:  2,323
  • Content Count:  21,266
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

0.0000000001%

So your saying their is a chance.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Wear a 'Make America Great Again' hat while you're in Austin... you'll be a favorite among the dregs living on the streets asking for handouts. On a different note, Texas Mark nailed it. There are two places to stay in San Antonio if you really want to make this an insane trip... the JW Marriott is everything and a ham sandwich. The La Cantera Resort and Spa also gets rave reviews as one of the top resorts across the country. Obviously, take the time to visit the Alamo. Read up on the Alamo before you arrive so you can fully understand why Texas is so God-damned awesome. The phrase "Come and Take It" means so much more to me now living three blocks from the Alamo. Anyways... everything is bigger in Texas (especially the San Antonio women - ask Charles Barkley). I blame the breakfast tacos... so **** good. Go Bulls! Beat UT!  

• Upvote 2