• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I’d be interested to hear your theories . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

26 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

They prioritized and invested in Athletics - IPF, OCS, etc - while USF rested on our laurels athletically and invested more in Academics and that has born fruit with Preeminence status, but athletically we are woefully behind and have a lot of catching up to do.  

This all starts at the top and permeates down.  With MK in charge and a new President, I think things will change but it will take time.

THIS ↑

And Mark Harlan. I think he alone set us back at least 10 years.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

58 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

They prioritized and invested in Athletics - IPF, OCS, etc - while USF rested on our laurels athletically and invested more in Academics and that has born fruit with Preeminence status, but athletically we are woefully behind and have a lot of catching up to do.  

This all starts at the top and permeates down.  With MK in charge and a new President, I think things will change but it will take time.

We did make a point of investing in athletics..... Woolard put about $70m into the new Soccer, Baseball/Softball stadiums, the Sun Dome renovation, and more. The reinvention of USF's "athletic village" was Woolard's crowning achievement...

USF made a concerted effort to invest in athletic facilities on campus for every single sport except the one that matters. Imagine where we could be now if Woolard made football a priority.

Edited by OnTheBus

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

We should gave never stopped playing  them in football.that was mistake.

They emphasized athletics 

Usf made a series of bad hires

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I'm not sure we are that far behind.  Just took both of their hoops teams to the end of games.  Football has a bit farther to go but we'll see in 2 years where that stands.  Our basketball teams would both greatly benefit by having a kid or two that can shoot straight.  Otherwise we're close there.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

This is the correct answer. We had our BCS moment and pissed it all away. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

27 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm not sure we are that far behind.  Just took both of their hoops teams to the end of games.  Football has a bit farther to go but we'll see in 2 years where that stands.  Our basketball teams would both greatly benefit by having a kid or two that can shoot straight.  Otherwise we're close there.

Until we actually start winning we are behind. In terms of football it is starting to look like the Iron Bowl of the 1970s when Bama beat Auburn like 10 times in a row. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Until we actually start winning we are behind. In terms of football it is starting to look like the Iron Bowl of the 1970s when Bama beat Auburn like 10 times in a row. 

So, are we doomed to keep losing to them until we have our "Bo Over the Top" moment?  Oy!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, OnTheBus said:

We did make a point of investing in athletics..... Woolard put about $70m into the new Soccer, Baseball/Softball stadiums, the Sun Dome renovation, and more. The reinvention of USF's "athletic village" was Woolard's crowning achievement...

USF made a concerted effort to invest in athletic facilities on campus for every single sport except the one that matters. Imagine where we could be now if Woolard made football a priority.

Can someone explain to me how we would have won more games if we spent more money on football?  Not being argumentative I just don't understand.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, MMW said:

Can someone explain to me how we would have won more games if we spent more money on football?  Not being argumentative I just don't understand.

We could have invested in an IPF during Woolard's spending spree. If you want to say that wouldn't have been beneficial over the past decade, then I'm not sure why anyone is clamoring for it now. I'm being facetious of course, we stand to benefit from it as much now as we would have if Woolard made it a priority.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

. . . about how we’ve gotten to the current state of our “rivalry” with Oviedo Community College. For the better part of 40 years, we dominated this matchup in nearly every sport, with a few exceptions, yet somehow it is now lopsided in their favor. 

Super simple.

1. Collapse of the Big East.  Goodbye USF recruiting advantage.

2. UCF has cheated in every sense to get ahead in football.  (Which is the money maker and 'front porch' of the university)  From cheating on the construction of facilities (building dangerously unsafe stadium) to cheating to get recruits (receiving post season ban for recruiting violations and then getting off on a technicality) to cheating on funding buildings (breaking Florida law) to cheating on how they report metrics (claiming higher grades) to cheating their way to a ******natty (by just claiming one and ignoring the rules).

The simple answer is cheating does work.  Look at the Houston Astros, the Red Sox, the Patriots... All cheated to win and all got away with it.  UCF's cheating got them competitive advantages (money, publicity, more NFL graduates to use as recruiting stats) that they reap to this day.  Yeah Scott Frost was a stellar coach anyways for them, but his accomplishments were still on top of their cheater pile.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1