• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

opinions on qb play and position

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Against Pitt, PJ was 18-35 for 222 yards, threw 1 TD and had no INT's.  PJ is not the reason USF lost that game.

I agree about PJ not losing us the game. It was R Smith and the horrible play calling and adjustments. PJ did an admirable job considering what we asked of him. I still can't believe they yanked him in order to have an option QB throw 2 passes inside our own 10 yard line. Where is the logic in that?

Sorry about the misread on the re-building. I agree that we are building towards something special here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

My point is that this program is so young.  From nonexistent to 1-AA to 1-A to 1-A BCS conference in less than 10 years.  That is unprecedented in college football history.  You have to have some patience to allow the recruiting to catch up to the meteoric rise of the Program.

I agree though that we need a new offensive scheme.

I don't disagree with that, and I really don't have a problem with being patient. The question for me is do we have the pieces in place to actually move in a positive direction. We have not seen this on the offensive side of the ball at all. Instead what I have seen is an offense that had MB and his ability to run around buying incredible amounts of time until somebody got open. That wasn't coaching, that was pure ability on MBs part. Once we lost him the deficiency in our coaches ability to run an efficient offense and actually coach the players has been obvious. In fact last year the defense was just awful, but we have seen the way our coaches have brought them along. On offense it's the same problems, year after year and player after player. So either we need to find another MB that can make up for the coaching deficiencies or we need to find coaches that can actually coach. right now we have neither one. So I suppose what I'm saying is that if I had confidence in the coaches then I'd have no problem being patient. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in their abilities and feel the are totally out of their league at this level and therefore I don't have any patience in sticking with something that I feel will just continue giving the same results year in and year out.

And yes we need to let recruiting catch up....but it is obvious we need to work on catching the coaching staff up to our meteoric rise of the program as well. Everyone seems to be so willing to agree that while the players were great at their respective levels we need to keep upgrading. Why is it then that the coaches are looked at so differently. The players and coaches both did a tremendous job in our program but the level of play has passed both the past players and most likely many of our coaches by.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Against Pitt, PJ was 18-35 for 222 yards, threw 1 TD and had no INT's.  PJ is not the reason USF lost that game.

Jake, that is surprising stats but the 76 yd TD is the result of Hall doing all the work on a short pass.  Minus that one catch and 17-34 for 146.  Pat fumbled on the USF 20 yd line after a series when Ponton fumbled on the USF 42.  I have one thing to say about PJ, when he brings USF back from behind in the fourth quarter by more than two scores, then I will begin to believe.  Until then, I will be a PJ doubter.

Guest S.  Bien

Jake, that is surprising stats but the 76 yd TD is the result of Hall doing all the work on a short pass.  Minus that one catch and 17-34 for 146.  Pat fumbled on the USF 20 yd line after a series when Ponton fumbled on the USF 42.  I have one thing to say about PJ, when he brings USF back from behind in the fourth quarter by more than two scores, then I will begin to believe.  Until then, I will be a PJ doubter.

Doug, that's an excuse to bash PJ.  I am not going to declare him a world beater but the pass to Hall was a pin-point pass, right into Hall's arms, in-stride and he was about 10 yards down field.  IF PJ doesn't throw an absolutely perfect pass to Hall then we don't score in that situation.  It was also a three step drop.

If you didn't see the game then you also missed Peyton dropping a perfectly thrown ball that drilled him right in the hands between the numbers on his chest.  PJ threw that ball 35 yards into Pitt territory as Peyton was running a crossing pattern with a 1:17 seconds left in the game.  Peyton catches that he might have scored, or he would have picked up another 10 yards easily since no Pitt player was around him.  That would have given us 1 minute to go 30 yards for the TD.  The kid can throw a good ball, but the receivers need to step up as well.

The kid can execute, but he needs to be put in a position that he can do it.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

You guys have a point about the OC lacking.  I just doubt PJs skills 'cause I've seen plenty of errant passes, no touch passes, untimely INTs, fumbles and his inability to step outside the tackles and throw the ball away.  And yes the WRs have had some bad drops but there are 2-3 drops in every game.  In my grading system, PJ falls short.  He's a D+ or C- at best.  Maybe you can say part of the blame is on Jackson, Peyton and the OL.  It looked liked he'd turned the corner the first 4 games but at UM and Pitt, he's looked ragged at best.  And lastly, I have no more excuses for the casual USF fan that wanna know why.  I haven't been a PJ fan and he almost got me on the band wagon but I took my foot off the step after the Pitt performance.  His sliding & coming up one yd short of a first down on USFs third possession rubbed me wrong.  I'm not saying he's a bad kid.  I think he's gutsy and admirable for his efforts.  I just don't believe he has what it takes to win a BE championship.  I have no problems if we disagree either.  Each to his own.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

my patience is worn out

pj needs to be replaced

he don't have game

the OC don't have game

Guest S.  Bien
my patience is worn out

pj needs to be replaced

he don't have game

the OC don't have game

smazza, that's the point, before replacing the player why not replace the OC to find out if it's truly the player that doesn't have game or the OC's crappy system and play calling that's making the QB look bad.  As it stands everyone other than MB has looked bad at QB in this offense, and MB got by more on his own by scrambling and having some amazing receivers like Hugh Smith, and Rubin who are still playing pro ball.

I fear next year there will be a new QB scapegoat if the OC isn't replaced.  We can't keep going year in and year out wondering why our QB recruits are all busts, and yet we see schools like WF develop players like Cory Randolph, or BGSU develop Omar Jacob neither of which were world beaters in HS.

Jim has a knack for finding diamond's in the rough, but QB is one position where those are rarely found.  You get the best athlete you can at QB, and then mold an offense around his strengths.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

I fear next year there will be a new QB scapegoat if the OC isn't replaced.

my fear also

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

There is no doubt that Bien has a very good grasp of the team but what I have noticed is the sheep on this board.  Early after the Pitt game eveyone was knocking PJ and then Bien chimes in about how bad the OC is and now everyone is bashing him.  Did I like the sweep on the second play of the Pitt game - NO - and with second and one and Andre Hall in the backfield seems like two running plays might get us a first down.  You might think the Pitt D would be thinking the same thing so the sweep goes for big yards and you look like a freaken genious but it loses yards and you look stupid.  All this talk about MB, who did a great job for us, being so fabulus makes me wonder if he could do the same thing against the schedule we play now. Our offense looks great against UL and has stunk it up for the last two games.  Lets play a couple more games before we pass judgement on this team.