• Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Members do not see this ad, Register today
Triple B

USF vs Central Florida Game Discussion

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Are guards are way overrated by many on this board...

Statistically speaking, Rideau is one of the worst offensive point guards in all of college basketball:

• 48% free throw shooter (haven't able to find what percentile he is in amongst guards but would expect it to be pretty low)
  • 27% three point free thow shooter
  • Commits the 34th most turnovers per game among all NCAA players (out of ~1,750 starters)

The 2.7 steals a game (6th nationally) and the 4.4 assists per game (just outside the Top 100 nationally) just aren't enoug to offset one of the primary reasons this offense is as bad as it is.

• Crying 1

11 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

that's on you then ..... 

Hmm, where have I heard that before ....... 

Its a broken record at this point. Rideau is one of the worst offense guards in the country and Collins should be played as a 3 and not a 2.

• Crying 1

30 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Statistically speaking, Rideau is one of the worst offensive point guards in all of college basketball:

• 48% free throw shooter (haven't able to find what percentile he is in amongst guards but would expect it to be pretty low)
  • 27% three point free thow shooter
  • Commits the 34th most turnovers per game among all NCAA players (out of ~1,750 starters)

The 2.7 steals a game (6th nationally) and the 4.4 assists per game (just outside the Top 100 nationally) just aren't enoug to offset one of the primary reasons this offense is as bad as it is.

Jesus....

If there was a better option, we'd see him on the floor but we may see other options more and more soon

Edited by chapelbull

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

If there was a better option, we'd see him on the floor but we may see other options more and more soon

Since he is only a sophomore, I'd like to see more of Casteneda at the point. He is quick, a better free through shooter (by almost 20 points) and three point shooter (by 13 points). He's not without flaws (just under a 1:1 asist-to-turnover ratio) but someone we'll likely rely on in his final two years.

Castaneda also turns the ball over 35% less than Rideau on a per minute basis. Not saying he's the better player but it would be a good idea to get him more time in a lost season to see how far he can develop.

• Upvote 1

I don't think CBG is going to call it a "lost season" just yet if ever.    We need the freshman to come in ready to go next year.   Castaneda is a better free throw shooter than Q, but then again ... so am I

Edited by chapelbull

Just now, chapelbull said:

I don't think CBG is going to call it a "lost season" just yet if ever.    We need the freshman to come in ready to go next year.

Totally agree. This is the starting five I'd liked to see next year:

PG Casteneda (to start the season) and Murphy to end the season (unless he outplays Casteneda from the start)

SG Collins (Dawson back up but would like to see him ultimately push Collins to the 3)

SF Brown (Williams back up)

PF Yetna (Anderson back up)

C Durr (Okpomo back up)

That leaves Mack as our 11th man. This should be a very deep team next year.

I'm thinking Anderson and Yetna need to be on the floor together more often than not.  Brown needs to go to the bench as well

Edited by chapelbull
  • Upvote 1

Just now, chapelbull said:

I'm thinking Anderson and Yetna need to be on the floor together more often than not

They both play facing the basket so will be tough from a spacing perspective, but I can see them easing Yetna back in which shoud give Anderson plenty of minutes to integrate into the team.

41 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Totally agree. This is the starting five I'd liked to see next year:

PG Casteneda (to start the season) and Murphy to end the season (unless he outplays Casteneda from the start)

SG Collins (Dawson back up but would like to see him ultimately push Collins to the 3)

SF Brown (Williams back up)

PF Yetna (Anderson back up)

C Durr (Okpomo back up)

That leaves Mack as our 11th man. This should be a very deep team next year.

If Mack doesn't transfer I'd rather have him backing up Durr. Mack will provide some offense. Okpomo is a rim runner who scores on put backs mostly when I watch Oak Hill Academy. Mack is more skilled. If he is with the team next year I expect Mack to be in even better shape than he is now.

Also, you left out Chapman and Akec.

Edited by Basketball Jones