• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three big topics: QBs, coaching and bowl game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt will lose all respect from me if he doesn't fire Smith.

I would've fired him on the spot in Pitt.

Smith is a joke.  He showed he couldn't develop a QB over the last 5 years and he's showing he can't run an offense any better than a pee-wee coach.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143

I'm a big Fan of Coah Levitt's...   simply out of respect and appreciation for all he's done for South Florida football...

THAT BEING SAID...

I'm soooooooooooooooo **** frustrated w/ our coaching!!!!   >:(

I don't know if it's Levitt, Smith, or the whole bunch, but there are tooooo many frustrating things at that level...

Where was the gameplan??  Especially after a bye??  Where is the creativity??   The Louisville game was a MASTERPIECE!!    Where was that creativity before that game??  And where has it gone since??

I'm sooooo frustrated by the - hmm - not sure how to describe it...  the "old school, old style, classy, respectful football" that we seem to play...

I posted any earlier post about what USC and Pete Carroll just did in South Bend...   Dirty Pool, but hey, THEY WON!!  They didn't settle for 3 and OT - they played "dirty" and they WON!  

Would our staff have the 'stones' to pull off something like that??  Or would we consider it 'disrespectful'?   Sooooooooo many times I've sat in the stands wanting us to go for the jugular - really put it to a team...  (like we did to UL), but instead we play 'classy and respectful' - and I've seen it cost us!

Sorry - bit of a rant, but, it sure seems like it's a new era of college football (for better or worse) and our coaching staff needs to adapt to that if we want to win and get noticed...

Come on - even JOE PA has adapted, and look at the turn around there!

Maybe we can start next week against WV   ???

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

QB- we need one

coaching- inconsitant preparation esp on the road

bowl game- sorry not this year (i will beg forgiveness if we do)

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

guys

pitt game was vitage leavitt

this game is consistent of our coaches and qbs since MB left the program

what were you expecting?

our players need nads

usc plays like champions

they expect to win

our qb and players expect to lose on the road

pj admitted he is an emotional wreck and he is  our leader

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

leavitt should leave but not for usf failing to make a bowl

1.not recruiting a qb in 4 years

2. not bringing in an offensive coordinator

3.promoting rod smith

4.lack of progress since 2001

5.poor recruiting

6.not fixing the same problems for years

I actually have to somewhat agree with smazza here.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that CJL should go, but there are some points made here.

1. while the jury is out on C. Hill and Grothe, we haven't recruited a decent QB.  Banks (didn't live up to expectations), Gachette (apparently not that greata at QB, moved to DB}, Kraky bailed (was obvioulsy vastly overrated), Denson (transfer, now we may realize why Auburn wanted to move him to DB).  Do we need to go on.  Truth of the matter is that Julmiste attempted something along the lines of 189 passes in his entire high school career.  Why in the world would we bring him in here when he obviously doesn't fit into our offensive scheme?  

footnote to #1:  who is supposed to be developing our QB's.  The coaching roster says that it's Rod Smith.  His lack of developing anyone period, should have been enough reason for his dismissal.

#2/#3  Smith's spread attack is simply not cut out for the caliber of athletes we have here.  Plain and simple, as it stands right now, we are a running team.  Work on moving to an I-formation/2 back set.  You can still play action, roll out, etc.  Let's look at what we've got personnel we have and think about moving that direction.  

Sometimes I think that Smith gets his playcalling straight from PS2.   You know, you can run the same gimmick play time and time again and it always works?  Let's call a spade a spade.  The playcalling worked beautifully against UL.  EVERYONE SAW WHAT HAPPENED IN THAT GAME.  We used every gimmick we had, end around, reverse, end around pass....  Does he expect that nobody is going to gameplan for that going forward?  That's not what an opponents defense is going to focus on, but you'd better believe that it will be stressed.  I, as were most, were both shocked and disappointed to hear that Smith was moved into the OC position.  Personally, I would have loved to see Carl Franks in the OC role.  I think he could have brought in a few new ideas as to how to make the best of the personnel we have.

#4  Disagree here.  We've made progress since 2001.  We've moved from Indy, to CUSA, to BE.  That in itself is progress.  

#5 Poor Recruiting.  Only is certain positions.  I think it is obvious that QB has left us looking for answers.  I know that our receiving corps is still fairly young, but I'd rather see guys that catch the ball rather than guys that "give us a chance" to catch the ball solely because they've got 5" on the DB.

#6  Not fixing the same problem - see QB and OC.   Our OL and DL have improved and the LB's are back to a stellar level.  

Guest firemanbullscpa

Everyone,

Please listen.  Although I do not enjoy watching PJ as he is not talented for I-A, I don't believe any quarterback would do great in our current system because:

a) Perpectual dropping of passes...even the announcers were praising when a receiver caught a pass ("...well that is some progress that USF can build on this drive, Jackson caught the pass.....")

B) Play calling and design of offense is very odd.  No consistency....a) bad transfers on handoffs; B) PJ rushes 18 times for quarterback keepers; c) passing game is designed for 4 to 6 yard gains

c) Can't blame PJ for those mistakes identified in a and b.  I know that PJ is not a quality quarterback, but how could you expect CH or CD to do better.  I am not a talent scout but I can tell you that we have much bigger problems than PJ  (i.e. receivers (very athletic that can run but can't catch) and poor play calling).

Mind you, our defense is solid against the run (but not against the pass).  Our defense is a legit force.

Our offense has not improved over the past few years.

I was at the Miami game and our offense looks like a high school team.  Forget about Miami's offense for a second.  We drop balls and our running backs trip over own players.

Where am I going with this....PJ is not the problem....it's the coaching and designing of the offense.  Remember, CJL is a defense guy.

By the way, for those of you that thought we had a chance getting to a BCS bowl, there was no chance even if we won out.  I work with the Orange Bowl Game Committee and they said there would be no way they would pick any Big East Team (even Louisville).  This is the result of money!!!

Forget about bowling....we need an overhaul on offense (not Mr. Julmiste)!

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

fireman made some **** good points, i especially like the one about our offense looking "odd"....which is COMPLETLEY true. In the words of Tony Dungy: "We just arent in sync."

usf going from indy-cusa-be

is like a kid being passed on to the next grade without earning it

while it is great for usf it doesn't mean we progressed as a football team

i always said our offense was  ridicullous

i was one of the first to use the word gimmick offense

i never saw our offense run by any other team

we have so many 3 and 4 receiver sets but our qb can't throw and everyone knows it.

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

Fireman and BullsGrad95 are more eloquent than I and I agree with what they have said.

Kizarvexis

we should build a Statue for leavitt for all that he has done

but he is not the coach to lead us to that "next" level

isn't it apparent