• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New USF coach describes what it will take to get the program turned around

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

On 1/17/2020 at 5:58 PM, Friscobull said:

He has been more accessible in 3 days than CCS was in 3 years.  He is building up political capital by meeting and treating people well and being very accessible.  For the life of me I can’t figure out why more coaches don’t take this approach.  You can only afford to be an constant A$$hole when you have established yourself as a winner.   He is the polar opposite of the turd we had prior and this is a main reason we are all enamored with the guy.  

Odd, we had another coach who was awesome at alienating people rather than building bridges with the press and community. I guess people don't learn from history.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:05 PM, puc86 said:

Not everyone has good taste I suppose

You are the most self-aware person I know.

44 minutes ago, smazza said:

the best college coaches are great salesmen and communicators

scott will be a great one

Like it or not it's a people person job in this day and age. That's the part Taggart excelled at when he was here.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

On 1/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, jjlovecub said:

I hate that I have to preface my comments but I would like to avoid the onslaught. I will start by saying I’m so excited for a new chapter and I am even more excited that the fan base “appears” to be rejuvenated (at least until our first loss). I guess after the last few years we all want hope. Can CJS motivate people and is he doing the right thing with his approach? I think so. 

Where I get confused is the “he is an amazing communicator” comments over and over again. I mean I guess and maybe it’s the field I work in where I am continually exposed to motivational speakers. The press conference was ok. He s media interviews decent. Does he make me want to run through a wall? No. Does he inspire me ? No. But also I’m not a football player so maybe to them that’s what they need. And I get we are all motivated by different things. 

It’s not a bad thing but I think people are just thinking everything is amazing and I hope it will be. My rationale mind just struggles with those comments and wondering what I’m missing?? But hey if this team and fan base are 100% for it that’s great because my excitement for USF has always been there. 

CJS completely "won" his press conference, and when he speaks, he always makes it sound like everything is going to be great.  I agree with you.  This reminds me alot of how this board was right after Holtz was hired.  People were completely enamored by his quotes, metaphors, and words of wisdom in press conferences.  I hope this turns out to be different that the Holtz New Error.  I believe it will.

With that being said, I am enjoying it, and it is nice to feel optimistic again about Bulls football.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

56 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

CJS completely "won" his press conference, and when he speaks, he always makes it sound like everything is going to be great.  I agree with you.  This reminds me alot of how this board was right after Holtz was hired.  People were completely enamored by his quotes, metaphors, and words of wisdom in press conferences.  I hope this turns out to be different that the Holtz New Error.  I believe it will.

With that being said, I am enjoying it, and it is nice to feel optimistic again about Bulls football.

That’s one of the things that scares me, CJS looks to be an almost perfect hire just like Skip did ....... but USF has a way of making sow’s ears out of silk purses. Hopefully Scott can pull this off.