• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is it too late to trade for Steve Ensminger?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

18 hours ago, puc86 said:

How many unique takes do you honestly believe Steve has had? 

Steve is like our Jerry Rice.  The numbers are a little mind boggling for sure. I have to say that many times I did generally agree with Steve but found his posts to be over the top extreme and certainly challenged them.  You make good points too but also can be a little extreme.  I actually like both of you as message board personalities where I can agree fundamentally and yet still have issues with said opinions. Certainly better than most on other boards I have seen which have boring takes. 

The fact that Mazza is totally on board with the coach has made me feel a little more optimistic than I was initially. While I do not think Leavitt would be the answer for us at this time, there is no doubt that the end of his tenure is the high mark of interest in the program.  The attendance numbers show it.  We were still in the Big East 3 years afterwards and the numbers and "buzz" did decrease. 

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Mission9 said:

Awhile back, I would totally agree but I think he has come around to see that there is in fact an extreme bias against our program and the AAC despite some of the teams being competitive against some of the bigger programs. Actually, both of you were right in  what would happen with USF being left out of the realignment. I do wonder how he must have been annoyed that USF somehow beat BYU and yet BYU defeated Southern Cal. 

mission-thanks for the love. usc has its own major problems. they would have fired helton but his buyout is insane and his replacement would easily cost 10's of millions.usc didnt want to pull the trigger and they may be mired in mediocrity for years. I love scott. his energy and ability to speak with such passion and enthusiasm are attributes great leaders possess.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Ok, Let's put Puc's opinion aside since we all know where he is coming from.  I would not go as far as to say he is not a USF fan since he is not the only one who is either cautiously optimistic or even skeptical about the hire.  We have seen a couple of hires here which were supposed to be slam dunks and ended up in winning teams becoming losing teams. 

I think it says a lot that Scott comes from a winning program, seems to have a lot of support from his Clemson fans wishing him well here, and most importantly, has the blessing of thebullspen.com's resident contrarian and critic himself, Steve Mazza.  Still, I have not really heard a whole lot about him  and wonder how he will perform when he does not have the 100 percent backing of the local community like he did in a place like Clemson.  I realize he is not Skip but look how Skip did just fine in Greenville and Ruston where most of the locals are behind the product.  It is a little different here. 

Exactly I do not believe I have seen anyone say definitively that CJS is not a good hire but ten years of mostly failure should have built cynicism in even the most optimistic of fans. If people are cautiously optimistic no one is going to begrudge them of that but the "OMG OMG CJS is the best and so dreamy we are just sooooo lucky to have have him and we are guaranteed to get over the hump 100 percent guaranteed" crowd is a bit much when we have continually seen this movie and it has continually ended badly for us. Everyone wants for CJS to be the most successful coach we have had and for him to win every game because that is in the best interest of USF but its not unreasonable to have questions or to be cautious. Unfortunately having any expectations of our program or having even the slightest question of regarding the the CJS regime has become forboden and the only acceptable takes are that we are guaranteed the greatest era in USF history and we have to hate on the only success we have ever actually had. 

• Upvote 1
  • Crying 1

Awhile back, I would totally agree but I think he has come around to see that there is in fact an extreme bias against our program and the AAC despite some of the teams being competitive against some of the bigger programs. Actually, both of you were right in  what would happen with USF being left out of the realignment. I do wonder how he must have been annoyed that USF somehow beat BYU and yet BYU defeated Southern Cal. 

I agree I just want to believe we are not here for life and I completely get where people are coming from in wanting to minimize the AAC 💰

• Upvote 1

Steve is like our Jerry Rice.  The numbers are a little mind boggling for sure. I have to say that many times I did generally agree with Steve but found his posts to be over the top extreme and certainly challenged them.  You make good points too but also can be a little extreme.  I actually like both of you as message board personalities where I can agree fundamentally and yet still have issues with said opinions. Certainly better than most on other boards I have seen which have boring takes. 

The fact that Mazza is totally on board with the coach has made me feel a little more optimistic than I was initially. While I do not think Leavitt would be the answer for us at this time, there is no doubt that the end of his tenure is the high mark of interest in the program.  The attendance numbers show it.  We were still in the Big East 3 years afterwards and the numbers and "buzz" did decrease. 

The loss of the BEAST certainly had to do a lot with the loss of interest but you are completely correct that it started before that time and it had a lot to do with the unforced error of ripping the heart out of our program. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

26 minutes ago, smazza said:

mission-thanks for the love. usc has its own major problems. they would have fired helton but his buyout is insane and his replacement would easily cost 10's of millions.usc didnt want to pull the trigger and they may be mired in mediocrity for years. I love scott. his energy and ability to speak with such passion and enthusiasm are attributes great leaders possess.

I have to ask.... money aside, would you have been ok with Scott had Southern Cal hired him?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,466
  • Days Won:  422

19 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Unfortunately having any expectations of our program or having even the slightest question of regarding the the CJS regime has become forboden and the only acceptable takes are that we are guaranteed the greatest era in USF history and we have to hate on the only success we have ever actually had. 

Come on, puc, this is one of the reasons you catch **** at times ...... your broad generalizations.

Just now, Triple B said:

Come on, puc, this is one of the reasons you catch **** at times ...... your broad generalizations.

I feel you are broadly generalizing my posts, I feel attacked. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,466
  • Days Won:  422

Just now, puc86 said:

I feel you are broadly generalizing my posts,

That's why I quoted a perfect example ...

I feel attacked. 

You're not imagining things ...

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

That's why I quoted a perfect example ...

You're not imagining things ...

So you want me to be more objective, fair and argue in good faith? I do not think that is a very good strategy for a propagandist. Step one look for the most exploitable parts of an argument or poster and create a characterization, step two paint the target with that characterization, step three attack that characterization, step four turn the target into that characterization, step five win. See in zero of the steps is there room for reasonable honest dialogue, the goal is to win the argument and not to have the nicest most fruitful conversation, you are asking me to internet wrong.