• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs Memphis Game Discussion

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

How about all of the options we have the first 30 minutes of these games that are getting us these leads to begin with? With less than 5 to go in the game I'd like to see:

• Rideau staying above the free throw line on offense - when he over pentrates it usually leads to easy baskets on the other end and we lose our best defender because he chasing from behind
  • Collins should NEVER be bringing the ball over the half court and distributing - among our guards, Ridaeu (1.2:1) and Castenda (0.9:1) have the best assist-to-turnover ratios
  • We should be then running multiple back screens for Collins, Durr, Dawson and Williams - all shooting over 43% or better from the field -  and Brown, so they can take zero-to-one dribbles and finish or shoot; Williams has evolved into the best mid-range shooter on the team and needs more looks through set plays
  • More multiple screens for Williams (his shot is more top of the key), Dawson and Casteneda for catch and shoot three pointers - all three are shooting 41% from the new extended three point line

We have go to protect the ball first as its led to many easy baskets on the other end of the court late in games. Next, is more movement on offense with multiple screens and less 1 on 5.

There are also other options to conisder, but yeah there are better options than watching Rideau drain the shot clock and Collins going out of control to the basket.

Ok great points.  So are you saying that CBG is not being diverse enough late in games and should shoulder some blame?  I kind of agree that he deserves partial blame at least.

But at the same token, the players are not executing either, and being short handed and maybe not as talented to be real good for 40 minutes, and fatique has more to do with it.

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That is what I am saying, but I am not sure how much is on the players when a play calls for a player to go 1 of 5.

Is that really what is being called by the coach, or is the player making that decision and trying to take on more than he should.

Hard to determine really.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

19 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Is that really what is being called by the coach

No and last year we won more games by 6 or less than we lost. 

3 of the 4 we have lost to tourney caliber teams and the 4th was a road conference game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

28 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Is that really what is being called by the coach, or is the player making that decision and trying to take on more than he should.

Sure it was ...... just like Leftwich called all those plays that required Jameis to throw into triple coverage.

Guest Jonesy Bull
6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Sure it was ...... just like Leftwich called all those plays that required Jameis to throw into triple coverage.

I smell sarcasm.  Thats what I tend to think as well.  CBG is too smart to draw up plays that have almost no chance of succeeding.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

16 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That's true but it was still a significant amount lost. You were right it's 1-4. I meant 1 of 5.

Of course it is, you left it out because it hurts your "point" just like leaving out how 3 of those 4 losses this year are to teams that very few expected us to have a serious shot at winning against to begin with

19 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I smell sarcasm. 

Well you should ... he was laying it on pretty thick

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Hard to determine really.

If it isn't what is being called, why is Durr running up to the top to set the screens.  If other plays were being called you would think you might see Durr in a different position on the court occasionally.  If you have a way to rewatch those last 8 minutes or so you will see Durr come up to the top of the key (and a few times a 2nd guy joined him up there) to set a screen on almost every possession.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

If it isn't what is being called, why is Durr running up to the top to set the screens.  If other plays were being called you would think you might see Durr in a different position on the court occasionally.  If you have a way to rewatch those last 8 minutes or so you will see Durr come up to the top of the key (and a few times a 2nd guy joined him up there) to set a screen on almost every possession.  

Can rewatch here for those that need a refresher ...... https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3e2b0264-0ac1-4790-b935-4710c08581eb