• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FCS scrubs

Guest Jonesy Bull
13 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

That may be, but they were ranked 3 and would have been left out of the BCS

Sorry I mis-read your above post.  I think we are in agreement on this point.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

19 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Sorry I mis-read your above post.  I think we are in agreement on this point.  

We are.  I couldn't understand why you were arguing with me.  :)

Guest Jonesy Bull
7 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

We are.  I couldn't understand why you were arguing with me.  :)

Lack of reading comprehension on my part apparently.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

On 1/14/2020 at 7:58 PM, Apis Bull said:

Here's the rub, if we still had the BCS, Clemson wouldn't even have been there because tOSU was the, "better" team.  With 120 teams that all play different schedules, it's virtually impossible to get the four, "best" every year.  Eight, with P5 Champs, G5 Champ, and two at-large takes out most of the guess work.

Would Ohio St. been number two it was solely on the BCS model? 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On 1/14/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jonesy Bull said:

It would be alot of fun to see the FBS playoff increase to 8 teams, and let the highest rated G5 team in.  But the NCAA establishment seems to be fine with the status quo of 4 teams right now. 

The thing I don't get is that there is always 1, sometimes 2 P5 conferences that get left out.   The PAC12 is a prime example.  Seems like they would put more of a stink for expanding the playoffs.  

If you increase the size of the playoffs, you're going to have to cut back on a regular season game. The reality is, 100 teams absolutely know they have no chance of winning the national title, so they're giving without getting anything back. Right now, a playoff team gets $6 million for its conference for participating. For argument's sake, let's double it with another round. Is it worth it for Kansas to make an extra million dollars to give up a home game? Doubtful. And if you trim the season down, the first game to go for P5 teams is those paydays to G5 schools. Utah State is making $2 million just to play Alabama and got $1.5 or so from Wake Forest for this year. They'd be crazy to give up a guaranteed $1.5 - $2 million every year just for the conference to get the chance to get the 8 seed in a playoff every 3rd or 4th year. In the same time span they can make $6 - $8 million for themselves. That goes a long way when you're on the low end of the pay scale.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, JTrue said:

If you increase the size of the playoffs, you're going to have to cut back on a regular season game. The reality is, 100 teams absolutely know they have no chance of winning the national title, so they're giving without getting anything back. Right now, a playoff team gets $6 million for its conference for participating. For argument's sake, let's double it with another round. Is it worth it for Kansas to make an extra million dollars to give up a home game? Doubtful. And if you trim the season down, the first game to go for P5 teams is those paydays to G5 schools. Utah State is making $2 million just to play Alabama and got $1.5 or so from Wake Forest for this year. They'd be crazy to give up a guaranteed $1.5 - $2 million every year just for the conference to get the chance to get the 8 seed in a playoff every 3rd or 4th year. In the same time span they can make $6 - $8 million for themselves. That goes a long way when you're on the low end of the pay scale.

There are ways around that though.  There are so many Mid to late December meaningless Bowl games.   You could make 4 of those bowls actually playoff bowls for the 1st round, and really not miss a beat.  

There are creative things they can be done to make it happen.  But there has to be more of a revolutionary movement.  There are always a couple of teams every year that whine and complain, but its going to take alot more than that to change the current format......having said that, nothing lasts forever.  We went from having the  NY Day Bowl games with the highest ranked team named the mythical National Champion, to the BCS format, to the current format today.  Who knows what goes down in the future.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

22 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

There are ways around that though.  There are so many Mid to late December meaningless Bowl games.   You could make 4 of those bowls actually playoff bowls for the 1st round, and really not miss a beat.  

There are creative things they can be done to make it happen.  But there has to be more of a revolutionary movement.  There are always a couple of teams every year that whine and complain, but its going to take alot more than that to change the current format......having said that, nothing lasts forever.  We went from having the  NY Day Bowl games with the highest ranked team named the mythical National Champion, to the BCS format, to the current format today.  Who knows what goes down in the future.

I think one concern is the total amount of games played by the teams that go all the way. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
23 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I think one concern is the total amount of games played by the teams that go all the way. 

16 games is alot for College kids.....but you can spin it as, it prepares them for the rigors of a 16 game NFL schedule!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

12 games schedule

Round 1 - 8 teams play a 13th game, but so do all of the bowl teams

Round 2 - only 4 teams play a 14th game

Round 3 - only 2 teams play a 15th game. I think that's manageable.

Guest Jonesy Bull
17 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

12 games schedule

Round 1 - 8 teams play a 13th game, but so do all of the bowl teams

Round 2 - only 4 teams play a 14th game

Round 3 - only 2 teams play a 15th game. I think that's manageable.

I think Conference Championship games would make it a total of 16.