• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball picked 7th in AAC preseason poll

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, Bullcocky said:

Exactly, the drought is in the "major" sports of baseball, football, and basketball... Not to belittle tennis and golf or anything. 

I feel good about us at least competing in the near future for championships in football and basketball.  Not sure about Baseball, that seems to be a bigger question mark right now.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,174
  • Days Won:  12

20 hours ago, JTrue said:

13 regionals in 40 years.

For comparison, Stetson has made 18 regionals in that same amount of time. Plus, a super-regional.

FAMU has at least 8. Bethune Cookman has 19.

I think i get your point but Stetson, FAMU and BCC are also above average baseball schools. Stetson has been good for a long time, as far back as i can remember. Which would be about the 90's before that is a cloudy haze. 

Another question is how are we determining if a program is above average or not. Solely by conference championships? I mean look at the girls basketball team, several years they were conf champs, if not for the football school in Conn. (jk) So if you are the 2nd place team in your conference every year for a decade, arent you above average? What about the top 3 every year or the top 4, 75% of the time Where's the line? IMO I am thinking top 50%, more than 50% of the time. And I'm fairly certain that baseball would fall in that category, however, maybe i'm being to liberal with my definition

Guest Jonesy Bull
13 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

I think i get your point but Stetson, FAMU and BCC are also above average baseball schools. Stetson has been good for a long time, as far back as i can remember. Which would be about the 90's before that is a cloudy haze. 

The 80's are a cloudy haze for me, but for different reasons!

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

Another question is how are we determining if a program is above average or not. Solely by conference championships? I mean look at the girls basketball team, several years they were conf champs, if not for the football school in Conn. (jk) So if you are the 2nd place team in your conference every year for a decade, arent you above average? What about the top 3 every year or the top 4, 75% of the time Where's the line? IMO I am thinking top 50%, more than 50% of the time. And I'm fairly certain that baseball would fall in that category, however, maybe i'm being to liberal with my definition

I think you are over thinking it.  Women's Basetball is kind of a special case.  Its not often you have the Top Program in the entire country every single year.  So there success gets classified differently I think.

Conference Championships and NCAA appearances are what I usually measure success with.  And we have fallen woefully short in the major sports from that perspective.  Technically, over the years Baseball has had more success than Basketball or Football, if you measure it that way.

Ah, yes, agreed, but success is different than what the OP was asking about, if we had any above average teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

50 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

And we're a shade better than UCF over that timespan. FAU has the same number of regional appearances as we do, but has left us in the dust the last decade. FIU has 11 appearances and 1 super-regional, but they didn't even start playing D1 baseball until the 1990s. 

Basically, we're in the bottom half of Florida baseball programs. I'm not sure why people expect us to be any more than we currently are or think we're demonstrably better than any other FL program. We make the NCAA tourney about once every 3 years and maaaaaaaaaaybe win the conference once a decade or two. That's USF baseball.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

And we're a shade better than UCF over that timespan. FAU has the same number of regional appearances as we do, but has left us in the dust the last decade. FIU has 11 appearances and 1 super-regional, but they didn't even start playing D1 baseball until the 1990s. 

Basically, we're in the bottom half of Florida baseball programs. I'm not sure why people expect us to be any more than we currently are or think we're demonstrably better than any other FL program. We make the NCAA tourney about once every 3 years and maaaaaaaaaaybe win the conference once a decade or two. That's USF baseball.

FGCU has gotten pretty good here recently as well 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, BrassBulls12 said:

FGCU has gotten pretty good here recently as well 

Yep. And JU is at least our equal these days, too.

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, cophbulls said:

Ah, yes, agreed, but success is different than what the OP was asking about, if we had any above average teams

If you are asking if we have any above average teams - right this minute in the Big 3?

Then No not really.  Certainly not Football (coming off a 4-8 season) or Baseball (season still to be played).  Men's Basketball is a game over .500, so don't really consider that above average either.

As far as potential in the next Year or 2, then that is a completely different argument.