• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

9 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

McCloud is extremely deficient with arm strength, and that effects his accuracy. It's hard to be a quarterback when you lack these attributes, and I was never a Jordan McCloud fan this year. 

That being said, he has enormous potential because hes athletic, and I actually like his decision making and leadership. If he can put in the work with good coaching, he might be a QB who can help us be a solid bowl team. But if he doesn't progress, he cannot start again. 

why in the world do you recruit a qb with weak arm strength?

why is a kid with a weak arm playing qb?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

It remains to be seen how good this QB is, but there is no shame in losing your job to Sam Howell. That dude is a beast. Put up better numbers than Trevor Lawrence this year.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, smazza said:

not me

i have been watching football a long time

every system can work

jeff scott is a winner,football smart  and hard worker.the fact that his former head coach,fellow coaches and players think so much of tells me we have a future great head coach

Assuming we can get the players for this type of offense you are correct. However, the past two coaches could not, so the jury is still out. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

9 hours ago, usfbullrider said:

Looks like he's going for pro style.  Not sure that's going to work but UNC qb incoming

Clemson runs an RPO and the, "UNC qb" has got some wheels.  He not Flowers, but he can run.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, deters- said:

It fails here because we've consistently recruited athletes that can play QB, not quality QBs with proper fundamentals, good vision and a capable arm. Mix that with terrible offensive coordinators, a junk OL and receivers that drop more passes than catches and no wonder it fails. It's a lack of talent, not the style of play. Just having an offensive line that could block worth a **** would instantly improve the offense no matter what system we run. That is the most important place to recruit imo, followed by QB. 

In your rant... do you see the pieces coming together? You are basically saying that we need to pull in a full team of P5 recruits while in a G5 conference, going up against basically every P5 program east of the Mississippi that tries to recruit Florida heavily. We can occasionally have one or 2 pieces of that puzzle in place (for instance, Mack and MVS), but, it's not the norm, nor sustainable for us.

I completely agree with you, we can certainly make a pro-style work if we get the pieces in place, but, it's going to be hard to consistently have that talent level at all positions.

Eventually though, good coaching can mask some deficiencies on the OL, even in a "pro-style" system. Hopefully we have the right coach and he gets the right staff to maximize his talent. I have always thought great coaches adapt to their talent. You see it with John Harbaugh in Baltimore right now. He has embraced Jackson and changed their style and is being rewarded with wins and a ton of fun. The great quote about Don Shula is my favorite...

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and you'rn and beat his'n." - Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips on Don Shula's coaching talent

Basically, if CJS can come in here and recruit the best players we can recruit and coach them up to be the best players they can be, he'll have a ton of success. If he sets his sights on only players that fit his system, we'll likely miss on the rare talents like Q who can lift the team on their shoulders and carry us to wins.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Clemson runs an RPO and the, "UNC qb" has got some wheels.  He not Flowers, but he can run.

Yep, I encourage folks to watch his film...he can scoot pretty well when he needs to...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

32 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and you'rn and beat his'n." - Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips on Don Shula's coaching talent

One of the all time best sports quotes.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Give me a good pocket passer that can run okay over a good runner that can pass okay anyday. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Give me a good pocket passer that can run okay over a good runner that can pass okay anyday. 

This.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Regardless of what type of QB you think we need, the QB room got better with Fortin joining. 

Edited by BrassBulls12
  • Upvote 1