• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Get behind the Jeff Scott hire

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

The "grumpy old men" comment was a joke so hopefully no one gets offended by that. What I meant by that, is you come on here sometimes and it's just heaps of negativity toward anything and everything. Hurts my head to read sometimes. I'm well aware this hire could potentially not work out. All I'm saying is, we can collectively get behind Michael Kelly's first major hire. He has yet to give us all a reason to not trust that he knows what he's doing. Every hire is a question mark before it's not.

So the best we can do is help give this new HC, honestly whoever it is, all the outpouring of support possible. Not the attitude of, well how about you win first and then as soon as you leave, I'll ***** and moan about it.

It's been repeated a lot on this board, but if he leaves in 3-4 years for a big time job, that's awesome. It worked out ok for our neighbors to the east. And we are who we are. We're not going to be a final destination for any young coach and that should be ok with us as fans.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, Jon Tonison said:

Any chance he coaches our bowl game?

LOLOLOLOLOL

Guest Jonesy Bull
14 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Hopefully the kind that scores points

As long as he doesn't say we need to "slow the offense down to give the Defense a rest", then we should be fine.

Well that statement wouldn't even make any sense coming off this last season, so I retract it.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

10 minutes into the team meeting and nothing new yet?  WTH?  :D

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I like the hire. The only "concern" is the rumor that he was not the playcaller for Clemson, so not sure what to make of it. But honestly, a guy WANTING to come to USF is worth a lot more than people give it credit for. I mean, isn't that why we wanted CJL back? Someone who actually wants to coach here? 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

A little too much for a first post...

^this is the stuff I'm talking about right here lol. What does this even mean? Sorry for signing up for a fansite and injecting my opinion. I'll go sit in the back until I'm a better/more worthy fan than you

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

17 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Yes... because in every program across America, when a new coach is hired, 100% of fans love the hire!

We "grumpy old men" have just had enough of the rental coach... either he is good and he's gone in 3 years, or, he's bad and he's gone in 3 years (if we can afford it, which is fun). On the good side, it takes a bad hire about 1.5 years to tear it down again.

As for donors... I hope you're right, but, I would be hard pressed to open my checkbook as a big time donor when this guy tells me that "we're building something here" and that thing we're building is a ladder for him to climb off this ship to a bigger one.

Having said that, I don't know that anyone is "bashing" him that I have seen. I am optimistic that he will be a good fit. Maybe he even sticks around a bit because his father lives close and they will get to coach together. There's a sliver of a chance that he either falls in love with Tampa, or, we get invited to a P5 conference during his tenure and he decides to stay. 

As far as "anyone other than Leavitt" candidates, I am very pleased with the hire and he would have been my top choice. Larry Scott would have been more loyal most likely, but, Jeff Scott is the better hire today. Hell, maybe he'll have a ton of success and Larry Scott will get more experience and he can be our next HC when this guy bolts and we'll have the best of both worlds.

While a number of us really wanted Leavitt back, deep down, I knew that it was highly unlikely. I would have been thrilled, but, I am not destroyed by it not being him. I hope he gets the FAU job and does well there.

Leavitt wasn't a rental, Skip wasn't a rental, Willie turned out to be a rental but a lot of people thought he might be here longer than he was, Charlie it is up in the air whether he was a rental or just riding out the end of his career here.  

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I like the hire. The only "concern" is the rumor that he was not the playcaller for Clemson, so not sure what to make of it. But honestly, a guy WANTING to come to USF is worth a lot more than people give it credit for. I mean, isn't that why we wanted CJL back? Someone who actually wants to coach here? 

OMG. Welcome back.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

OMG. Welcome back.

Ha Thanks!

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

8 minutes ago, Roger "Toro" Smith said:

^this is the stuff I'm talking about right here lol. What does this even mean? Sorry for signing up for a fansite and injecting my opinion. I'll go sit in the back until I'm a better/more worthy fan than you

How grumpy wears the other pants... the inerwebz is tough business

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,930
  • Days Won:  12

Apparently that alleged 10am meeting didnt happen. Maybe USF should get behind the hire first 😁