• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Apology or Not?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

Full disclosure - I’m a season ticket holder from day one and a fan of CJL and would like to see him return.  

My question is, if you’re MK and negotiating with CJL to return, do you also reach an agreement with him on how he’ll respond to all the questions regarding his last departure?  These questions will start immediately with the first press conference, and USF will also have to respond.  I would think it would be very important for both parties to be aligned out of the gate. 

Do you:

A) Make him admit guilt, show remorse and say he’s had time to become a “better person” and happy for another shot, and USF go with the whole “we feel he’s paid his price”?

B) Let him continue denying things, and USF simply go with “that was in the past and we’re about putting the right person at the right time” now?

C) Both parties go with “no comment”?

Personally, I go with A. I wouldn’t make him go into details about what he’s guilty of (slapping, lying, or whatever) but something that says he didn’t do everything the way he should have and no comment after that. 

What I don’t know is that if somehow admitting any type of guilt would have an impact on his earlier settlement with USF. But then again, it would be USF’s option to take any action so I would think that would be all addressed in the new agreement. 

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with A

Hell, if he had done that in the first place, he would still be here. 

I also was a little frustrated with the plateau he seemed to have reached when here. 

But time with 49'ers, Colorado Oregon, (FSU is a negative, but only short time), surely has added to his talent, knowledge, patience. 

I could/would welcome him.

All in all, I will support the BULLS and anyone MK feels is our best man! Just make sure he can/will build a "row the boat" enthusiasm. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

C.  

It was a joke of an investigation and the report was also a joke, they did not even properly protect the names they blacked out.  Regardless of what actually happened it was carried out in an amateur manner.  It was a sham, manipulated for the benefit of that administration and a few key influencers.

He can't apologize nor can the current admin let him call the university liars, just have to ignore it and move on

Edited by slowdown
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

Might be part of the settlement that he not discuss the matter.  That would be an easy answer for he and the school to any questions about the incident.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

Tough call...since we don't know what happened at the end of the day...I say c.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

CJL - "I'm so excited to be back home! I know there will be many questions regarding my departure. I am going to make one statement and one statement only on the matter. There were a lot of things that happened that I could have handled differently. That's the past. I'm home now and ready to take on the challenge issued by that guy over at UCF."  GO BULLS!

VPMK - "We're so excited to have CJL back home! I know there will be many questions regarding his departure. I am going to make one statement and one statement only on the matter. There were a lot of things that happened that we, USF, could have handled differently. That's the past. CJL is home now and ready to take on the challenge issued by that guy over at UCF."   HORNS UP!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull

If I was him I would go with A.  There has to be "some" truth that he did something wrong.  Now if the report was exaggerated or pieces of it are not true.  Then of course He should explain that and let people know what really happened.  Dont just completely fall on your sword.

Personally I was against hiring him back initially.  But the more I process it...why not him.  As folks have said he has most likely gotten better as a coach since he left here.  And nobody would be more passionate about this job than him.  He will need to bring a solid offensive staff with him though.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Leavitt:

I'm so excited to be home. VPoA MK and I have discussed the circumstances of my previous dismissal. We have cleared the air and former players and coaches have recounted the events to Mr. Kelly. While I maintain my innocence, I understand the position this great institution took at the time based upon the misinformation in the media. The safety of all students is of paramount importance and Mr Woolard acted as he saw fit. It was unfortunate that the facts were clouded by conjecture. I am thankful for the opportunity to return home and finish what we started in 1997. Go Bulls!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

JL, I'd ask Mr. McMurphy, apparently he knows everything that happens even if it didn't happen at all.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

Just say he was caught up in the emotion of the game as this is football. Talk about the days of Bear Bryant Lou Holtz, Ditka, and other coaches that slapped or shoved players to get them playing harder. Tell them sorry that it caused so much of an uproar and now learned not to do something like that again. The question is if it was a hit why wouldn’t there be at least a bruise on the kids face? Think at most it was a motivational slap if anything. Heck Rick Flair does that all the time when wrestling.ric flair wwe GIF