• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rut-Row Here Comes Slick Willie!!!! He’s Getting Warmer!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

He's an ambitious (and please, SOMEONE come up with a non-USF homer reason why this is a bad thing) young head football coach who has had 4 college coaching jobs, all of which were programs in need of a rebuild. 

Rebuilds take time.  To paraphrase a famous quote from TBP long ago, you can't just go through the drive-thru at McDonald's and get a winning team in a few minutes.  

Successful at the first two, one of them being USF, had a winning season at Oregon then got a chance in a lifetime to coach his favorite boyhood team.  It sucks that said team didn't give him a full chance.  He has a template, it's pretty easy to see and FSU ignored it because they're too impatient.

It's really sad how people parrot his bowl record.  So he had the critical misfortune to turn around a team and get rewarded for it before he could coach one.  I'm sure he's sorry some of you hate him for that.  Guess what - we need him to do what he has proven to be good at.

I have no problem with him coming back here if he really wants it and it makes sense, $-wise.  I think a good # of you need to look in the mirror and legit ask yourself if you wouldn't do the same thing he has done.

I do not trust many on this board to be honest about it though. 

If you didn’t know who the coach was would you be super excited by the idea of a coach with a 56-62 record, with zero bowl victories, going on his 4th job in 5 years and just fired from FSU coming here? On paper he looks to have the worst resume of anyone that could be being applying for this job, sans KB obviously.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, puc86 said:

If you didn’t know who the coach was would you be super excited by the idea of a coach with a 56-62 record, with zero bowl victories, going on his 4th job in 5 years and just fired from FSU coming here? On paper he looks to have the worst resume of anyone that could be being applying for this job, sans KB obviously.

There you go again with that "if" statement you were literally complaining about just a few minutes ago.

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

There you go again with that "if" statement you were literally complaining about just a few minutes ago.

It’s different when I do it

• Haha 2
  • ???? 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

My biggest knock on it is very rarely do things turn out well the second time.

I'm glad he turned us around though.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I try not to be so short- sighted and myopic as to just look at the "paper" stats.  I try to also consider a big picture worldview when evaluating something.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

4 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

He was USF's savior after the complete debacle of Holtz.  Maybe you don't like scoring 50 points a game, but I do.

Also, I love it how some people point out his overall record, as if he didn't take over complete dumpster fires, that no one would have come in and won right away.  The fact that he took over garbage programs made his record what it is.  I mean he literally took over an 0-12 WKU team.  Of course that team is going to lose the first year.  Same as the 3 win team he took over from Holtz.  USF just wasn't going to win right away, I don't care if they brought in Nick Saban, USF wasn't going to win that year.  His overall record is misleading due to that, and not pointing out those facts and just listing his record is disingenuous.

That and 9-12 at FSU. Bottom line is he turned it around once, no reason he couldn't again.   I'm not all in on Willie T coming back and I get why some might hold a grudge for him leaving (even though they'd be lying if they say they wouldn't have done it themselves), but I'd like to see this the list of betters we could do 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Bulls On Parade said:

My biggest knock on it is very rarely do things turn out well the second time.

I could see that, but hey sometimes getting back together does work out

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

That and 9-12 at FSU. Bottom line is he turned it around once, no reason he couldn't again.   I'm not all in on Willie T coming back and I get why some might hold a grudge for him leaving (even though they'd be lying if they say they wouldn't have done it themselves), but I'd like to see this the list of betters we could do 

It would be easier to swallow if half the people defending the idea weren’t the same ones that say things about not being able to return back to greatness, no retreads and a coach has never been successful in a return anytime a CJL thread starts. At least CJL actually had success here which when measured by anything objective CWT has never had anywhere.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

I could see that, but hey sometimes getting back together does work out

Sometimes yes. He atleast knows not to try a pro style offense so that automatically is a plus.