• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt and The People

Jim Leavitt and The People  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Jonesy Bull
16 minutes ago, Brad said:

I've never heard him say a negative thing about USF.  They ripped his heart out and attempted to destroy him, so yeah, I suppose there might be some negativity,  But Leavitt is an endlessly positive guy, I doubt he harbors any ill will towards the institution itself.  Of course, the $2.7 million dollar bribe USF paid him rather than have it heard publicly likely requires him to keep quiet, just as they were required.  Woolard moved on with his millions, Judy is honored for academics.  I think outside of that sleazy lawyer, Thomas Gonzalez, it's probably a whole new gang there.  Mr. Kelly was long gone before chaos ensued.

Time heals wounds, and now that Judy is gone, probably most of that negativity has washed away by now.  He seems like a person that lives in the Now, not so much in the Past.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

I've never heard him say a negative thing about USF.  They ripped his heart out and attempted to destroy him, so yeah, I suppose there might be some negativity,  But Leavitt is an endlessly positive guy, I doubt he harbors any ill will towards the institution itself.  Of course, the $2.7 million dollar bribe USF paid him rather than have it heard publicly likely requires him to keep quiet, just as they were required.  Woolard moved on with his millions, Judy is honored for academics.  I think outside of that sleazy lawyer, Thomas Gonzalez, it's probably a whole new gang there.  Mr. Kelly was long gone before chaos ensued.

I may be old, but my on the field memories haven't changed all that much. I would definitely disagree with you about him being an endlessly positive guy. The guy is more borderline sadistic than endlessly positive. He is a great motivator - however things have changed in 20-years and I wonder if the same Leavitt I loathed daily as a non-millennial player would be able to deal with current millennial players and their Instagram personalities? Wonder what DeAndrew Rubin would say about Coach Leavitt some 20-years later?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

You saw the player view, I saw the fan view of Leavitt - extremely positive.

I would imagine players that I coach think I'm a meanie, just like I thought my HS coach was a meanie.  It's the cycle.  Hopefully as maturity occur, one realizes that meanie was trying to get the best for you, at least in most cases.  Most sadists find outlets other than coaching.

russian woman GIF by Munter Film

Rich Rod, for example...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

36 minutes ago, Brad said:

I've never heard him say a negative thing about USF. 

FWIW, I've got a close friend who used to deliver to the Athletic Center, no not Pepsi, and interacted with CJL when there and got to know him a bit. Several years ago, not exactly sure how many, he ran into Jim at an airport and his feelings at that point about USF were that he wouldn't even let his daughter apply there. This was definitely before JG left but not sure about DW. Obviously things could have changed with the departures but someone also brought up how there may have been some boosters involved with the coup that are still around that would deter him. I don't know ..... so was just wondering if there's been anything at all out there indicating he would come back

Guest Jonesy Bull
53 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Are you ******** me?? If Kelly interviews but doesn't hire him it would be a freaking nightmare with all the CJL worshiping going on around here presently ..... and I've got no problem at all with bringing him back as HC, he's the only other retread I'm good with, behind SOS.

I haven't read all the CJL stuff posted, a little too depressing at times with the reminders that some have chosen him over USF football when it comes to support, but has there been any solid indication at all that his negative feelings towards USF has changed? Are people pining for something that has zero chance of happening?

I think so.  We have to ask ourself is CJL, Mike Kelly's type of guy?  Mike Kelly is meticulous and measured.  CJL is not. 

With all the history (some would say baggage) and the intense nature that CJL brings, does MK really want that for the program right now.....It seems too risky, I think MK already knows the guy or guys he wants to after, and CJL doesn't seem to fit his type.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Donors wanted him out, donors may want him in - we've heard one (big one) does.

It's all about which of the many problems with USF Football is Michael Kelly going to try to fix first.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I think so.  We have to ask ourself is CJL, Mike Kelly's type of guy?  Mike Kelly is meticulous and measured.  CJL is not. 

With all the history (some would say baggage) and the intense nature that CJL brings, does MK really want that for the program right now.....It seems too risky, I think MK already knows the guy or guys he wants to after, and CJL doesn't seem to fit his type.

VPMK said he wants a coach with the same vision as his for the program. Has he made his vision public. Or is it simply win and graduate student athletes?

Then again, what other visions does he need?

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

It is attributable to this crazy misconception about the terms of his settlement with USF for his wrongful termination. Part of the settlement stated that USF didn't have to consider him for any jobs if he applied. This was just a CYA provision slid in so that he can't say that he was discriminated against or treated unfairly in any hiring process. The University could EASILY waive that term of the settlement agreement and allow him back. I don't know how or why this misconception that he is forever banned from USF continues to persist. 

You should inform the radio host at 620 that said this over and over Yesterday that he can’t be rehired here. Something about his settlement. Thanks though.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,485
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

You should inform the radio host at 620 that said this over and over Yesterday that he can’t be rehired here. Something about his settlement. Thanks though.

Wouldn't be the first time a local sports radio host had no idea what he was talking about.  If both sides want it to happen, they'll find a way.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

9 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

To be fair, they just started caring about USF.