• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Factor....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I think the issue isn't the QB... the issue is that to run a pro-style offense, you have to have a pro-style offensive line. High schools in Florida aren't developing that talent. We don't have the money or prestige to recruit the entire OL from the midwest/texas/california...spread-option can mask OL shortcomings and is better with more athletic linemen that can move in space. The spread-option allows for athletes to make plays in space whereas the pro-style needs more "prototypical" players. You need big WRs that are winning 50/50 balls, OL that can hold blocks, a RB with great vision, a QB with great pocket presence and accuracy etc... We may be able to line up one of those things at any given time, but, recruiting all of the pieces here is not likely.

I would agree with the necessity to have a top tier offensive line for success in the pro-style scheme.  I also agree with you that this is not solely a QB issue.   Take a look at many top offensive lineman at other institutions and I've found that many of them are in fact athletes from Florida taht have chosen to leave the state.  Florida is now the third most populated state in the U.S., surely we produce enough offensive lineman beyond many mid-west states.  I think its also important to remember that we are always eligible to seek talent outside the state.  Were as eligible as anyone to seek talent from the midwest, trouble is I dont think there has been a great degree of emphasis on large, skilled interior lineman at USF.  I agree with you 100% that the spread-option masks shortcomings on the line.  I think we are more a product of our decisions in player selection and scheme than a shortfall of available skilled lineman in a state.  Afterall, there are double the number of people living in Florida than there are in say Ohio. The talent resides here, to be sure....a good discussion- thank you OB!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254

9 minutes ago, Gismo said:

There aren’t enough lineman coming out of high schools for everyone to run pro-style. The blue chips get the top NFL prospect lineman. Do you think we’ll out recruit SEC and Big10 teams for the needed talent for successful pro-style blocking? Even Jimbo Fisher is having trouble getting it clicking at Texas A&M because of the talent gap (most sacs allowed in the SEC), and A&M has had top 25, even some top 10 recruiting classes for the past decade. 

I think USF will see the most consistent success sticking to a spread scheme so we don’t live or die by the recruiting of lineman and new coaches.

I would agree the pro-scheme requires the most athletic and skilled lineman.  I'm not sure that a team requires 'the top NFL prospect lineman' to be successful at a pro-scheme even at the college level.   Skilled yes, though not the NFL prospects in most cases.  I'm excited to see what MK delivers.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801

4 minutes ago, dclenden said:

I would agree the pro-scheme requires the most athletic and skilled lineman.  I'm not sure that a team requires 'the top NFL prospect lineman' to be successful at a pro-scheme even at the college level.   Skilled yes, though not the NFL prospects in most cases.  I'm excited to see what MK delivers.

Doing the same thing and expecting  different results is insanity.

Edited by Bullrush33

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I cannot think of one team from Florida that runs a successful pro scheme; that includes the NFL...lol

Edited by Skingraft
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

12 minutes ago, Skingraft said:

I cannot think of one team from Florida that runs a successful pro scheme; that includes the NFL...lol

FSU did under Fisher, but also recruited nationally. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

16 minutes ago, Skingraft said:

Every time FSU won a title it was with a pro scheme. Miami also. UF has not won their titles with pro schemes. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

You say you want to bring in a pro-style offense at USF?

image.png.56dabc0916490e47a7eb866106c4db1d.png

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

There aren’t enough lineman coming out of high schools for everyone to run pro-style. The blue chips get the top NFL prospect lineman. Do you think we’ll out recruit SEC and Big10 teams for the needed talent for successful pro-style blocking? Even Jimbo Fisher is having trouble getting it clicking at Texas A&M because of the talent gap (most sacs allowed in the SEC), and A&M has had top 25, even some top 10 recruiting classes for the past decade. 

I think USF will see the most consistent success sticking to a spread scheme so we don’t live or die by the recruiting of lineman and new coaches.

it's why the spread offense even came to be. top programs get all the best linemen. lower level programs adapted by getting smaller more athletic linemen who could zone block. pro-style offenses are complex and will take time to develop and recruit. Taggart learned the hard way

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, dclenden said:

I would agree with the necessity to have a top tier offensive line for success in the pro-style scheme.  I also agree with you that this is not solely a QB issue.   Take a look at many top offensive lineman at other institutions and I've found that many of them are in fact athletes from Florida taht have chosen to leave the state.  Florida is now the third most populated state in the U.S., surely we produce enough offensive lineman beyond many mid-west states.  I think its also important to remember that we are always eligible to seek talent outside the state.  Were as eligible as anyone to seek talent from the midwest, trouble is I dont think there has been a great degree of emphasis on large, skilled interior lineman at USF.  I agree with you 100% that the spread-option masks shortcomings on the line.  I think we are more a product of our decisions in player selection and scheme than a shortfall of available skilled lineman in a state.  Afterall, there are double the number of people living in Florida than there are in say Ohio. The talent resides here, to be sure....a good discussion- thank you OB!

look at the nfl draft and see how difficult it is for them to find decent pro-style blockers. sure you can develop guys at any level to block for a pro-style but it will take time and the offense  and blocking schemes are more complex.

it's one thing at a program like wisconsin where they can consistently bring in quality linemen but we would be foolish to think we can consistently bring in and train them here.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Skingraft said:

BAM!

Thats pretty much right on, considering all of the 3 have losing records - Again!