• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Factor....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Perhaps my verbiage was wrong, but I was stating that. I have seen the same tweets you have. 

Loved that kid when he was here. Great open personality and really enjoyed playing at USF. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So what did I miss in 19 pages? We've got one group saying "get over it" and another with mega-xCJL boners? 

Just now, JTrue said:

So what did I miss in 19 pages? We've got one group saying "get over it" and another with mega-xCJL boners? 

That about sums it up😂

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

The “*****” crowd is in the majority. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

And some insightful commentary in between. 

I'll go on record and say that I'm good with any hire as long as there's a reasonable basis for it, but that's normal. We have to have a high quality guy coaching the team. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

The “*****” crowd is in the majority. 

Makes sense. The "get over it" crowd probably didn't bother to open another of these threads up. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Leavitt as a DC at Oregon and Colorado was decent but not excellent. He allowed about 20 PPG over two years at Oregon (with the caveat that the defense looked a lot better in key games in 2016), but he allowed 26 PPG over two years at Oregon (and yes, I know they were rebuilding). I'm wondering if that is a key factor in him not getting another HC opportunity just yet. I do need to point out that Oregon let him go after 2018, he did not leave on his own terms. 

Would he succeed at USF? I think he would, but it would be an uphill climb for two years. The damage to the program right now is pretty bad and Leavitt is not going to be able to fix everything in one off-season. I have already written off the game against UCF next year, and for Leavitt that would suck as they finally have the "Leavitt doughnut" off their back. I also question his ability to get good coordinators. Towards the end of the Leavitt Era, he was having to replace coordinators regularly, and he would need to have good coordinators. You may almost want to keep Kerwin Bell if Leavitt comes back because then there's some stability on the coaching staff. Shaun King absolutely needs to stay, he coached Flowers and Flowers was fantastic, he's coached the RBs, and it seems like we've just churned out good RBs year over year (even Sands wasn't bad this year, and Joiner and Ford go without saying-at least when Ford got on the field). 

That said, watching the engagement on Twitter, the massive enthusiasm from past players, fans, and alumni about a potential Leavitt return-it could very well be worth it. Rehiring Leavitt would provide a huge shot in the arm to USF's community engagement. and you know that he will do the work to rebuild the program-I have to believe he is still passionate about USF football. I had a conversation with Michael Kelly earlier this year at a basketball game-Leavitt carried the torch for this program tirelessly. He went to every Rotary, Kiwanis, and Chamber of Commerce event in the Tampa Bay area. He pounded the ground for this program to try and get fan support. He's still 62 and if he plays his cards right he could be here another 12-15 years, it's not uncommon for coaches to coach into their 70s if they're successful. He would also have something here that we never had in his first go around here-a stable conference with clear opponents. He would not have to try and face the Big East with C-USA recruits again. You bring Leavitt back, then you have Matt Grothe and so many others pounding the ground. Flowers, Mack, and Rodney Adams have all expressed some desire to be engaged with USF and that would happen under Leavitt. Selvie and JPP could be involved as well, and also Kawika Mitchell and Stephen Nicholas, these guys would all be ambassadors for the program. I would also point out here that we would all but seal up Immokalee, where D'Earnest Johnson's high school for the foreseeable future as Louis Gachette is head coach there. 

Anyone that comes here and has aspirations to introduce a pro style offense is destined for failure, KB can’t get out of the building fast enough and if anyone wants to keep him or find someone like him they will go the same way as every other person before them.

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Anyone that comes here and has aspirations to introduce a pro style offense is destined for failure, KB can’t get out of the building fast enough and if anyone wants to keep him or find someone like him they will go the same way as every other person before them.

This...has to be a spread offense...it’s our only hope for offensive success. Further, the turnaround will more than likely be quick too. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This...has to be a spread offense...it’s our only hope for offensive success. Further, the turnaround will more than likely be quick too. 

+1

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

This is an excellent idea except I would write to VPofA MK.  Not that CJL is my first choice but I know of people who withdrew their financial support when he was fired.

But I thought some  boosters wanted him fired?

Why would Leavitt return to the same boosters who smeared him to get him fired? 

Edited by Gismo