• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Factor....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think part of the reason CJL hasn't gotten another job is somewhat age related. He's mid 60s now maybe? That could hold him back from some jobs. Not this one in my opinion, but, if Oregon was between Cristobal and Jim, it's not crazy to think they just went with the younger guy. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

I think part of the reason CJL hasn't gotten another job is somewhat age related. He's mid 60s now maybe? That could hold him back from some jobs. Not this one in my opinion, but, if Oregon was between Cristobal and Jim, it's not crazy to think they just went with the younger guy. 

Agreed. Mentioned this earlier. Although UNC did hire Mack Brown who had mixed results this year. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I think there are a couple reasons for CJL not being a HC already. 

1. CJL won't just take any HC job. He was never like that. He has to be familiar with the parties involved (President, AD). 

2. He's first and formost a family man. His family has to like the move. If they don't, he won't take it.

3. He has a defense first philosophy and many schools are looking for Offensive minded HC's. 

4. Yes, his age may now be comming into being a factor.

The true fact is, none of us know for sure. NEB is a good poster and states his opinion. I do as well. I'm for CJL and don't hold it against him. He's wrong but, I don't hold it against him.

Edited by Azmodi

12 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

I think there are a couple reasons for CJL not being a HC already. 

1. CJL won't just take any HC job. He was never like that. He has to be familiar with the parties involved (President, AD). 

2. He's first and formost a family man. His family has to like the move. If they don't, he won't take it.

3. He has a defense first philosophy and many schools are looking for Offensive minded HC's. 

4. Yes, his age may now be comming into being a factor.

The true fact is, none of us know for sure. NEB is a good poster and states his opinion. I do as well. I'm for CJL and don't hold it against him. He's wrong but, I don't hold it against him.

Thank you and I respect your opinion. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Have to add to this one... a few thoughts:

IMO, Leavitt is better than all coaches to came after him. if we were to rehire Jim Leavitt... we know that he can have successful seasons (at least the games were fun...) that span the careers of multiple QBs. Having watched the team this season... it’s fairly obvious that Leavitt is a far better coach and motivator than Charlie Strong. The doubts about his coaching abilities in this thread are puzzling. We know he can coach... can he solve the things that hurt him in the past with the last season collapses? Maybe his newfound experience addresses that... I don’t know. Would I consider a change after 3-4 years of being in the spotlight but not quite getting it done... Of course! But even getting back to that is something that would be a major accomplishment at this point. 

Regarding his settlement language... I’m not a lawyer but I have to believe that if both parties want this to happen... that can be worked out pretty easily. 

As for other options...

Taggart was an amazing recruiter but his last few stints make you question whether or not he puts all the eggs in that recruiting basket... hopes to land a generational talent to ride to success? Or did he build something sustainable that Strong dismantled?

If we don’t go the Leavitt route... we should get an up and coming Coordinator from a big school.

Whatever happens... I’m just looking forward to actually having fun at the games again... it has been awhile since we have played in a meaningful matchup...

Edited by cmhatter
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

10 minutes ago, cmhatter said:

Have to add to this one... a few thoughts:

IMO, Leavitt is better than all coaches to came after him. if we were to rehire Jim Leavitt... we know that he can have successful seasons (at least the games were fun...) that span the careers of multiple QBs. Having watched the team this season... it’s fairly obvious that Leavitt is a far better coach and motivator than Charlie Strong. The doubts about his coaching abilities in this thread are puzzling. We know he can coach... can he solve the things that hurt him in the past with the last season collapses? Maybe his newfound experience addresses that... I don’t know. Would I consider a change after 3-4 years of being in the spotlight but not quite getting it done... Of course! But even getting back to that is something that would be a major accomplishment at this point. 

Regarding his settlement language... I’m not a lawyer but I have to believe that if both parties want this to happen... that can be worked out pretty easily. 

As for other options...

Taggart was an amazing recruiter but his last few stints make you question whether or not he puts all the eggs in that recruiting basket... hopes to land a generational talent to ride to success? Or did he build something sustainable that Strong dismantled?

If we don’t go the Leavitt route... we should get an up and coming Coordinator from a big school.

Whatever happens... I’m just looking forward to actually having fun at the games again... it has been awhile since we have played in a meaningful matchup...

Welcome back, man!! Great points

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,341
  • Days Won:  0

36 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Hope to see you sometime on this board other than when a coach gets fired...unreal how people are sensitive of Jimbo Leavitt...😂. and next time please refer to me as “Oh captain my captain”...😂 bye-bye...

Ive been on this board longer than you. It is obviously a foreign concept to you, but many people don't need to feed their complex by spewing on a message board. Many people are happy to read content about the program and go about their day.

This has been a rough few days for you.

3 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Ive been on this board longer than you. It is obviously a foreign concept to you, but many people don't need to feed their complex by spewing on a message board. Many people are happy to read content about the program and go about their day.

This has been a rough few days for you.

USFBull08...how about a truce? If I say something you disagree with then tell me. I’ll respond professionally and if we don’t agree then we can agree to disagree. I don’t mean to piss you off and I hope you will receive this offer in the friendly manner it is intended. In the end we both love our university and our football team. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,341
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

USFBull08...how about a truce? If I say something you disagree with then tell me. I’ll respond professionally and if we don’t agree then we can agree to disagree. I don’t mean to piss you off and I hope you will receive this offer in the friendly manner it is intended. In the end we both love our university and our football team. 

Oh this isn't pissed just trying to not let bias steer a narrative.

Your offer is fair and appreciated

Edited by USFBULL_08
Im dumb
  • Like 1

Just now, USFBULL_08 said:

Oh this isn't pissed just trying to not let bias steer a narrative.

This is fair and appreciated

Ok good.