• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Letter from Judy Genshaft on field storming

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  0

I'll admit right off the bat that I've stopped following the "on campus stadium" threads on this board, so I don't know if this is posted elsewhere. . . This is the official university response to the incidents after the UL game (not saying I agree or disagree with it, just FYI for those of you who may be interested):

-----------------------------------------------------------

From: Genshaft, President Judy [mailto:JGensha@ADMIN.USF.EDU]

Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 5:21 PM

To: USF Faculty and Staff (Exchange)

Subject: Safety and Security at USF Football Games

Dear USF Community:

As USF prepares for Homecoming and its next Big East home game against West Virginia, I wanted to take a moment to provide an update about some of the steps we have taken since our last home game against Louisville.

As many of you witnessed firsthand immediately  following the Louisville game, there were several unfortunate incidents involving spectators who

went onto the field and security officials who were trying to keep them off the field.

We recognize we have the obligation to protect the safety of our students, as well as the student-athletes on the field. There are many examples nationally where celebrations that began with the best intentions ended with tragic results, and we do not want that to happen

at USF. Additionally, as guests of Raymond James Stadium, we also must respect the policy of not permitting spectators on the playing field.

This is the standard policy for collegiate and  professional sporting events nationwide.

The incidents following the Louisville game were disconcerting, and we have been working behind the scenes to ensure this kind of scenario does not happen again.

We have been in discussions with law enforcement, hired security, Raymond James management and our athletic department. We asked Raymond James to review and re-address their security policies. Raymond James and law enforcement agreed to investigate any formal complaints and take appropriate action. They also assured us that the safety and protection of those in attendance is of utmost importance, and they are committed to using the least amount of force necessary in arrest situations.

Additionally, there was miscommunication at the game about whether or not spectators were allowed on the field. In light of this, USF will use posters, flyers and public announcements to ensure spectators at

upcoming games know that they cannot go onto the field.

At the same time, we want USF fans-and especially our students-to have the opportunity to celebrate our big wins. I am pleased to announce that our football team will be starting a new tradition. After wins, they

will circle around to the student section to give students the opportunity to congratulate them.

We are proud of the Bulls, and we expect a lot of big wins, as well as big-and safe-post-game celebrations. With greater awareness of the policies and heightened sensitivity by all parties, I am confident we will not see a repeat of what occurred after the Louisville game. I hope you enjoy the West Virginia game, and I look forward to seeing you during our many Homecoming festivities.

Sincerely,

Judy Genshaft

President

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I can buy that response... at least it acknowedges the desire to celebrate with the team.  

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  127

I saw the response, and certainly buy it as well...but I think it went to the wrong audience.  Not that many students and alum on the faculty/staff distribution list.  Did we just get chastised for something we didn't do?   ;)

I'm sure it'll make it to other outlets though.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I like it, nice political response.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  231

"We asked Raymond James to review and re-address their security policies. Raymond James and law enforcement agreed to investigate any formal complaints "

As long as we asked . . . . oh and there were no FORMAL complaints so  . . . . . tough stuff.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Raymond James and law enforcement agreed to investigate any formal complaints and take appropriate action.

Don't I recall them saying that they did not receive any FORMAL complaints when all of this happened?  ???

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Well I did not see Pariah's post till after I posted mine but apparently we had the exact same thought. It all sounds good but really nothing new is being done.

Also, why make the players come to the student section every game, they do this out of passion anyway. Now we are making it a FORMAL tradition?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

"Alright fellas, now remember the keys to the game are sure tackling, play execution, and discipline....oh yeah, and after the game we have to go shake hands with all the drunk students so none of them get zapped" - CJL

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

"Alright fellas, now remember the keys to the game are sure tackling, play execution, and discipline....oh yeah, and after the game we have to go shake hands with all the drunk students so none of them get zapped" - CJL

Good one.   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Just because we didn't have any formal complaints on the day the article was written doesn't mean there weren't any filed afterwards.  Many people on here did complain directly to USF and TSA.  I wouldn't doubt that there were a few formal complaints made at some point.