• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Penn State ... where was the tradition?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Tradition:   A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.

From that definition "storming the field" might seem like a tradition.  And since some colleges allow it we can't say is overall illegal and therefore not a tradition.

Who cares if "some colleges allow it"?  I can't think of one off hand, but still, that's an irrelevant argument.

You're attending the University of South Florida, and the University of South Florida, the athletic department, AND the owners of the stadium where the Bulls play have issued an edict that storming the field is NOT allowed.

Illegal or no, it's not something your institution wants, and that should be good enough.  Be man enough to respect the decision and find other ways to express your excitement.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

Who cares if "some colleges allow it"?  I can't think of one off hand, but still, that's an irrelevant argument.

You're attending the University of South Florida, and the University of South Florida, the athletic department, AND the owners of the stadium where the Bulls play have issued an edict that storming the field is NOT allowed.

Illegal or no, it's not something your institution wants, and that should be good enough.  Be man enough to respect the decision and find other ways to express your excitement.

your missing the point though. The question was whether storming the field was a tradition in football, not at USF, or Penn St or OSU or UCF or any school in particular. In college football the fans have a tradition of storming the field. Yes, the schools fight it and don't want it but that doesn't make it any less of a tradition.....just an unpopular one for the school administrations.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

How about you read my post again?  Never did I condoned storming the field at USF. I simply stated that from the definition "storming the field" might be a tradition where allowed. I used the legal and illegal argument to state that since is condone in some schools then we can't say that is not a tradition AT ALL. Simply put it is a tradition that it is not allowed at USF.  

How about you read my post again?  Never did I condoned storming the field at USF. I simply stated that from the definition "storming the field" might be a tradition where allowed. I used the legal and illegal argument to state that since is condone in some schools then we can't say that is not a tradition AT ALL. Simply put it is a tradition that it is not allowed at USF.  

I wasn't directing those comments at you, but at the group of students in general who think it's their "right" to be able to run on the field.  I was just using your comments as a framework for general commentary.  Sorry if I wasn't clear, my bad.

But you're right.  It's a tradition, but one that's not allowed at our fine institution.  That should be good enough.  

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Where are these posters claiming a "right" to storm the field?

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Wouldn't say that it started as someone saying it was a right.  More so that it is an entitlement.  Find a post from Jewbull.  I believe that is where it started.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I just looked at a few and I believe he claims that it would be up to the administration, not that students could simply storm in spite of them.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

it is a different time

storming the field will not be tolerated

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Here's something from a local State College Newspaper

PSU apologizes for poor fan behavior

By Anne Danahy

adanahy@centredaily.com

Some Penn State fans might be described as sore winners.

The Nittany Lions beat rival Ohio State on Saturday, but not before some Penn Staters could show off their worst, including throwing things and jeering at Ohio State fans. The behavior was bad enough to prompt the university to apologize to Ohio State.

According to a report by WBNS-TV, of Columbus, Ohio State University's band director said the marching band was subject to pushing on its way into the stadium. There were other reports of drunken behavior.

Steve MacCarthy, university spokesman, acknowledged that some Penn State fans behaved inappropriately and said the university will do what it can to stop it from happening again.

"It is simply unacceptable to be throwing things or cursing at the fans from the opposing teams," MacCarthy said. "We have apologized to the Ohio State fans, and hope that our fans will realize that it gives the university a bad name when they do that."

The unwelcome behavior toward Ohio State fans was not the only behavior problem Saturday. Drinking was also a problem at the game, which didn't start until evening.

"It was an extraordinarily bad game in terms of alcohol abuse," said university spokesman Bill Mahon.

He said there were 31 ambulance trips from Beaver Stadium to the emergency room before, during and after the game, compared to seven trips on a typical weekend.

University police used pepper spray on some fans who tried to get out of the stands and onto the field after the game.

"The police were facing an extremely difficult situation in trying to control a very large crowd that had been told repeatedly not to go onto the field," MacCarthy said. "There are huge safety problems with that many people suddenly surging onto the field, and police took absolutely appropriate measures to try to keep the situation under control."

Mount Nittany Medical Center had a busy weekend too. Spokeswoman Maureen Karstetter said there were 40 patients in for alcohol overdoses along with dozens of alcohol-related injuries such as lacerations and facial injuries.

The medical center also saw one person complaining of pepper spray Saturday night.

Mahon said most of the 110,000 people at the game behaved well, but university officials are concerned about the drinking that goes on and the safety of fans at future games.

University police used pepper spray on some fans who tried to get out of the stands and onto the field after the game.

"The police were facing an extremely difficult situation in trying to control a very large crowd that had been told repeatedly not to go onto the field," MacCarthy said. "There are huge safety problems with that many people suddenly surging onto the field, and police took absolutely appropriate measures to try to keep the situation under control."

Mount Nittany Medical Center had a busy weekend too. Spokeswoman Maureen Karstetter said there were 40 patients in for alcohol overdoses along with dozens of alcohol-related injuries such as lacerations and facial injuries.

The medical center also saw one person complaining of pepper spray Saturday night.