• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF, OSU, and Tenn ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Are the only teams who have two losses to Top 20 teams and 1 win over a Top 20 team...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

Look at the schedules

Ohio St

Miami (OH) W 34-14

(2) Texas L 22-25

San Diego State W 27-6

Iowa W 31-6

at (19) Penn State L 10-17

Tenn

UAB W 17-10  Audio

at (14) Florida L 7-16

at (12) LSU W 30-27

Mississippi W 27-10

(5) Georgia L 14-27

USF

at (8 ) Penn State L 13-23

Florida A&M W 37-3

UCF W 31-14

(19) Louisville W 45-14

at (7) Miami (FL) L 7-27

Two established programs in powerful conferences, who played I-A competition.

One brand new program that many outside of Tampa don't know where the school is at, that played a I-AA team and (at the time) the worst I-A team in the nation. Also, the Top Ten team that USF beat was widely perceived as overrated after the USF victory.

Kizarvexis

Guest S.  Bien
Look at the schedules

Ohio St

Miami (OH) W 34-14

(2) Texas L 22-25

San Diego State W 27-6

Iowa W 31-6

at (19) Penn State L 10-17

Tenn

UAB W 17-10  Audio

at (14) Florida L 7-16

at (12) LSU W 30-27

Mississippi W 27-10

(5) Georgia L 14-27

USF

at (8 ) Penn State L 13-23

Florida A&M W 37-3

UCF W 31-14

(19) Louisville W 45-14

at (7) Miami (FL) L 7-27

Two established programs in powerful conferences, who played I-A competition.

One brand new program that many outside of Tampa don't know where the school is at, that played a I-AA team and (at the time) the worst I-A team in the nation. Also, the Top Ten team that USF beat was widely perceived as overrated after the USF victory.

Kizarvexis

Kiz, sadly that's the perception, but not necessarily the fact.  UCF clearly isn't close to the worst 1-A team in the nation, that was just the perception AT THE TIME WE BEAT THEM.   UL's overrated, it depends on who's making that call.  UL's hung 60+ pts on Oregon State, and UNC, neither are bad teams by a long stretch.  It wouldn't shock me if both were in bowl games by year end.

Unfortunately it's all perception.  If we were OSU, or say South Carolina and played the schedule just played with the same record and results we would probably be knocking on the top 25 with votes and if we pummel Pitt would be in the top 20.  As it stands we probably need to pummel Pitt JUST TO GET VOTES!!!

We've got to earn respect it isn't given to anyone.  I am glad no one is making it easy on us, and UL is still ranked and ranked ahead of us.  I want Leavitt firing up the troops with talk of disrespect, and under-rated talk.  I want them to go out each a beat down the opponent to prove their worth.  

This is disrespect, but let's go out each week and do like UL beating teams so badly that no one has any choice BUT TO ACCEPT US AND RESPECT US!  We might not do it with the high flying UL passing game, but we've got a great defense and other weapons.  Use them appropriately and we can win respect.

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

Kiz, sadly that's the perception, but not necessarily the fact.  UCF clearly isn't close to the worst 1-A team in the nation, that was just the perception AT THE TIME WE BEAT THEM.   UL's overrated, it depends on who's making that call.  UL's hung 60+ pts on Oregon State, and UNC, neither are bad teams by a long stretch.  It wouldn't shock me if both were in bowl games by year end.

Unfortunately it's all perception.  If we were OSU, or say South Carolina and played the schedule just played with the same record and results we would probably be knocking on the top 25 with votes and if we pummel Pitt would be in the top 20.  As it stands we probably need to pummel Pitt JUST TO GET VOTES!!!

We've got to earn respect it isn't given to anyone.  I am glad no one is making it easy on us, and UL is still ranked and ranked ahead of us.  I want Leavitt firing up the troops with talk of disrespect, and under-rated talk.  I want them to go out each a beat down the opponent to prove their worth.  

This is disrespect, but let's go out each week and do like UL beating teams so badly that no one has any choice BUT TO ACCEPT US AND RESPECT US!  We might not do it with the high flying UL passing game, but we've got a great defense and other weapons.  Use them appropriately and we can win respect.

I agree with everything you have to say, I just was understated in saying it in my post. OSU and Tenn are established teams who are in perceived powerful conferences whereas USF is brand new (Still rubbing the shiny off ;)) and is in what is perceived the weakest BCS conference.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Kizar, with all the statistical information you are finding, you should be the new Howie (at least until he comes back).  But first get that octopus off your head!  ;D

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Octopi(that's the plural, right?) belong in Detroit.

Kiz, you're totally right about perception.  Look at Marshall and Tulane when they went unbeaten.  Neither had too much I-A appeal and got shafted in the rankings.  After a number of winning conference titles, Marshall has some recognition, but nothing in comparison to Ohio State or Tennessee.  Tulane, if they stayed in the SEC could have been there.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Tulane, if they stayed in the SEC could have been there.

when was Tulane in the SEC?

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

when was Tulane in the SEC?

Until 1965. Georgia Tech also used to be an SEC member too, and left about the same time.