• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

The TBP Official In Game Thread: Bulls vs. Temple

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Hopefully there will be no fully guaranteed contract for the next HC, no matter who it is. Just seems too risky for a school in our situation. Nobody is guaranteed to win here. Modest base pay, heavier on incentives. Hopefully we go that route. Earn your money.

Fully guaranteed contracts is a standard operational procedure. You won’t get anyone decent without it. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Fully guaranteed contracts is a standard operational procedure. You won’t get anyone decent without it. 

It doesn’t make it any less dumb. I want to meet the first moron that said sure we will fully guarantee almost all of your contract but if you break your side of it you only have to pay roughly a tenth of that. At the very least each side of the contract should be equitable and the sooner ads recognize that they are giving the world to coaches for little in return the better off the schools will be. Every year tens of coaches get bought out for millions of dollars while a handful of coaches have their contracts bought out by a new school for pennies on the dollar, it makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It doesn’t make it any less dumb. I want to meet the first moron that said sure we will fully guarantee almost all of your contract but if you break your side of it you only have to pay roughly a tenth of that. At the very least each side of the contract should be equitable and the sooner ads recognize that they are giving the world to coaches for little in return the better off the schools will be. Every year tens of coaches get bought out for millions of dollars while a handful of coaches have their contracts bought out by a new school for pennies on the dollar, it makes no sense.

It is still the way business is done. Moot point now. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It is still the way business is done. Moot point now. 

Business is always done a certain way until someone comes around and reforms it. All transactions used to be cash or check and now they are practically obsolete. All transactions used to take place in retail spaces and now online is usurping that. All restaurant food used to be sit down and now drive thru and delivery services have cut into that. Business evolves and things are only moot until someone realizes it doesn’t have to be any longer.

15 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Business is always done a certain way until someone comes around and reforms it. All transactions used to be cash or check and now they are practically obsolete. All transactions used to take place in retail spaces and now online is usurping that. All restaurant food used to be sit down and now drive thru and delivery services have cut into that. Business evolves and things are only moot until someone realizes it doesn’t have to be any longer.

Again don’t compare a dishwasher or floor salesperson with the emotion, passion, and competition of college football. This element will not be going away. There is always a cost of doing business some of it is illegal and is unknown by the general public and some of it is out in the open and seems stupid. But to break such a model would be costly for business (university), not to mention it “could” be interpreted negatively relative to financial solvency and concern for quality by consumers (fans not associated with USF). 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

18 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again don’t compare a dishwasher or floor salesperson with the emotion, passion, and competition of college football. This element will not be going away. There is always a cost of doing business some of it is illegal and is unknown by the general public and some of it is out in the open and seems stupid. But to break such a model would be costly for business (university), not to mention it “could” be interpreted negatively relative to financial solvency and concern for quality by consumers (fans not associated with USF). 

Oh I agree we shouldn’t be the ones bold enough to start the movement but if a few other people do we should rush to be early adapters. 

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Oh I agree we shouldn’t be the ones bold enough to start the movement but if a few other people do we should rush to be early adapters. 

Agreed

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

33 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I'd hate to see us in this same situation in the future where we can't afford to buy out a coach that most of the fan base doesn't want. Who knows, maybe the non-guaranteed, incentive based contract becomes a common thing among G5 teams, and may have to out of necessity.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,609
  • Days Won:  108

16 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

I'd hate to see us in this same situation in the future where we can't afford to buy out a coach that most of the fan base doesn't want. Who knows, maybe the non-guaranteed, incentive based contract becomes a common thing among G5 teams, and may have to out of necessity.

Serious question.  Are there any of these type contracts out there in D1?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Serious question.  Are there any of these type contracts out there in D1?

I seriously doubt it, I just think it would make sense for many G5 schools whose football programs are bleeding money. Last figures I saw for our own school is that we bring in $9Mil annually, with $12Mil in expenses (in football only). That contract we gave Charlie is just outrageous for a school with our budget, and I wish we would change the way these contracts are written. I know I'm dreaming here, that it probably won't be happening, but the base pay shouldn't exceed maybe 500K a year or so. Only way anyone gets $2Mil a year here is if they hit all the incentives....Bowl, Conference Championship, NY6, etc, etc. Just don't want to see the school in this situation again.