• Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

21 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Kenan and Ket had a bit of tiff going a few years back. Apparently, Kenan was big timing him and he wasn't pleased.

I guess everything must’ve broken down after Good Burger? They would’ve killed on SNL. 

CBG getting this ship turned. Maybe getting it built in the first place.

11 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I agree we are at a crossroads right now....but seriously you believe we are on the verge of irrelevence.  Come on dude!

Your negative attitude blinds you from the good things that are finally happening here.

You dont see the difference in competence and enthusiasm with Kelly running the show?  You dont see the excitement being generated from our new football coach?  You dont see that we are finally are on the verge of the long awaited IPF announcement?  And I know you dont see that we finally have a decent and maybe very good BB coach!

Go ahead think the worst.  Thats what losers do!

I see the echo chamber of USF Athletics excited. None of that has translated to USF fans who have unplugged or the broader Tampa Bay community - its not being reported. And the results in the two major sports that matter have been horrific - this community supports a winner (sometimes) and never a loser.

I'm not thinking the worst, I'm just saying like it really is. Don't be so desperate to cling onto any piece of potential news as if its somehow going to rescue us from the purgatory that USF athletics is in.

Great, there are more than a few people that care about Scott (I'm one but after seeing the disaster that is our athletic department I am going to be pragmatic) and much fewer that care about an IPF announcement (that honestly how long have we been waiting for an announcement for?). The local media doesn't care, more importantly the USF fan base we lost 8-10 years ago doesn't care and the broader Tampa Bay community doesn't care about USF athletics.

The desperate strive for mediocrity and table scraps and lack of university support is what's killing this Athletic Department. We have nobody on Fowler Avenue that can think big.

Edited by brybull1970
  • Crying 1

21 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I see the echo chamber of USF Athletics excited. None of that has translated to USF fans who have unplugged or the broader Tampa Bay community - its not being reported. And the results in the two major sports that matter have been horrific - this community supports a winner (sometimes) and never a loser.

I'm not thinking the worst, I'm just saying like it really is. Don't be so desperate to cling onto any piece of potential news as if its somehow going to rescue us from the purgatory that USF athletics is in.

Great, there are more than a few people that care about Scott (I'm one but after seeing the disaster that is our athletic department I am going to be pragmatic) and much fewer that care about an IPF announcement (that honestly how long have we been waiting for an announcement for?). The local media doesn't care, more importantly the USF fan base we lost 8-10 years ago doesn't care and the broader Tampa Bay community doesn't care about USF athletics.

The desperate strive for mediocrity and table scraps and lack of university support is what's killing this Athletic Department. We have nobody on Fowler Avenue that can think big.

Let's say you are the AD, what big things you got in store for us that can actually happen?  Write it here first and then forward it to MK.

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Let's say you are the AD, what big things you got in store for us that can actually happen?  Write it here first and then forward it to MK.

I've already shared my thoughts and recommendations with him directly in a 45 minute phone conversation last fall. While I was very respectful, I was also very pointed and direct in a way not dissimilar from how I call things on this board. In summary I shared that:

•  The athletic department needs to do a better job promoting themselves and its programs across the Bay area and that the current efforts (which he described) weren't sufficient enough to re-engage the disengaged USF fans and the broader Tampa Bay market
  • Decisions made now will have an impact on how the athletic department is perceived 5 years from now when the next round of realignment likely occurs, and that the beauty pageant for conference realignment has already begin and the school to the east is way ahead of us
  •  His work to secure 2-for-1's with attractive homes schedule should be applauded

Additionally, when I asked him what his top 3 strategic priorities were for USF athletics the first two were around fundraising and we never got around to the third, if there was a third. That's when he shared than <1% of all USF alumni have ever donated to the athletic department.

Lastly I shared with him - and he's a smart guy and knows this but felt it needed to be said - is that fundraising isn't about getting people to give money, its about getting people who don't care about USF athletics to care, and have them to want to give money. Its a battle for the hearts and souls of the people in this community and who they want to support - USF needs to leverage its unique position as the only major university in the area in a way to win that battle in a very competitive landscape.

Unlike most on this board, I am not one to complain and not provide solutions and MK has heard my suggestions, but not for a second am I ever going to lower my expectations as a USF supporter.

Interested in you thoughts now CousinRicky since I have already done what you suggested.

It seems the question is: are we capable of doing more financially and athletically? Bry says yes and most of you say no. If it is no then is this as good as it gets? I must side with Bry on this. I hope there is more than this at some point or I, and many other diehards, will start to leave. I mean, how much longer can any of us put up with the current state of athletics? Now I am NOT advocating to fire BG or any coach...at this point. But I think Bry has a bigger question that needs to be addressed. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

20 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I've already shared my thoughts and recommendations with him directly in a 45 minute phone conversation last fall. While I was very respectful, I was also very pointed and direct in a way not dissimilar from how I call things on this board. In summary I shared that:

•  The athletic department needs to do a better job promoting themselves and its programs across the Bay area and that the current efforts (which he described) weren't sufficient enough to re-engage the disengaged USF fans and the broader Tampa Bay market
  • Decisions made now will have an impact on how the athletic department is perceived 5 years from now when the next round of realignment likely occurs, and that the beauty pageant for conference realignment has already begin and the school to the east is way ahead of us
  •  His work to secure 2-for-1's with attractive homes schedule should be applauded

Additionally, when I asked him what his top 3 strategic priorities were for USF athletics the first two were around fundraising and we never got around to the third, if there was a third. That's when he shared than <1% of all USF alumni have ever donated to the athletic department.

Lastly I shared with him - and he's a smart guy and knows this but felt it needed to be said - is that fundraising isn't about getting people to give money, its about getting people who don't care about USF athletics to care, and have them to want to give money. Its a battle for the hearts and souls of the people in this community and who they want to support - USF needs to leverage its unique position as the only major university in the area in a way to win that battle in a very competitive landscape.

Unlike most on this board, I am not one to complain and not provide solutions and MK has heard my suggestions, but not for a second am I ever going to lower my expectations as a USF supporter.

Interested in you thoughts now CousinRicky since I have already done what you suggested.

What are solutions you propose, within budgetary constraints, that would do that?  It seems to me that their social media presence has increased although I only have a Twitter account and not on the others.  We appear to be getting better press with the media having better access to MK and the new football coach.

On the 2nd one I imagine that he has pretty good access to the powers that be.  Not quite sure what else we can do besides winning and, with that, increasing attendance.  'bama coming in and some of the others should help the attendance thing.

I applaud you speaking with him and hope you appreciate that an AD of a Div 1 school took time to speak with you for 45 minutes.  I can't picture many others doing that unless you are a muti-million dollar donor (which you might be but I have no idea).  

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It seems the question is: are we capable of doing more financially and athletically? Bry says yes and most of you say no. If it is no then is this as good as it gets? I must side with Bry on this. I hope there is more than this at some point or I, and many other diehards, will start to leave. I mean, how much longer can any of us put up with the current state of athletics? Now I am NOT advocating to fire BG or any coach...at this point. But I think Bry has a bigger question that needs to be addressed. 

If the douchebags to the east can do it there is no reason why we can't. Now maybe we don't want to do it in the same manner as they did, but UCF has increased revenues over 50% over the last 5 years while we are flat, and they now generate around 35% more than us in revenues, or $16M.

2049108800_AACRevenues.thumb.jpg.1afedb52d29a27b156832b6fdc8e0d0e.jpg

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

What are solutions you propose, within budgetary constraints, that would do that?  It seems to me that their social media presence has increased although I only have a Twitter account and not on the others.  We appear to be getting better press with the media having better access to MK and the new football coach.

On the 2nd one I imagine that he has pretty good access to the powers that be.  Not quite sure what else we can do besides winning and, with that, increasing attendance.  'bama coming in and some of the others should help the attendance thing.

I applaud you speaking with him and hope you appreciate that an AD of a Div 1 school took time to speak with you for 45 minutes.  I can't picture many others doing that unless you are a muti-million dollar donor (which you might be but I have no idea).  

I was very appreciative of his time and his candor, and out of respect to him I won't go into to many of the specific opinions he believes that is holding the athletic department back, but clearly he doesn't believe its realistic to compete consistently on the field/court if we cannot compete with others in our conference financially.

We need more from the university, the alumni and the broader Tampa Bay area.

12 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I was very appreciative of his time and his candor, and out of respect to him I won't go into to many of the specific opinions he believes that is holding the athletic department back, but clearly he doesn't believe its realistic to compete consistently on the field/court if we cannot compete with others in our conference financially.

We need more from the university, the alumni and the broader Tampa Bay area.

Probably have heard some of those issues you speak of.  Don't know if it is the "commuter school" history of USF but there doesn't seem to be much of an attachment to the school.  Even current students don't seem to have a real connection.