• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Keys to Victory at Pitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

Bulldoug, I disagree on a couple points:

If you mean one-dimensional in terms of passing all the time, that's just what we DON'T want. With Tyler Palko, they're actually good at throwing the ball. Just review the second half of the Rutgers game or the last drive of the Ohio game. If Pitt had called plays like that the whole season, they'd probably be 5-1 right now.

But unfortunately for Pitt, their new coaching staff is obsessed on establishing a power running game, even though their personnel is completely wrong for it. The Pitt offense doesn't concern me as long as they're trying to pound the ball with their injured running backs behind their mediocre offensive line. It's when Pitt gets behind, and game circumstances force the offense into the correct strategy, that they become dangerous.

I'm not so sure about blitzing Palko. When Pitt gets behind and starts passing the ball, it's all three-step drop/quick ins and outs and slants. Watch the second half of the Rutgers game, or the last drive of the Ohio game. You're not going to get to Palko in three steps, so it's wasteful to commit extra guys to a pass rush. Rush 4 or maybe even 3, and focus on short pass coverage. I realize that this puts pressure on the defensive backs to cover Greg Lee straight up. But that's a gamble we can live with, because the offensive braintrust at Pitt is too risk-averse to try exploiting it with a lot of deep balls.

Good analysis.  It blows my mind that Wanny didn't come in and just take the offensive machine Harris had left -- almost fully in tact -- and ride the horse a little longer.  What a putz.

You go from a BCS appearance to the bottom of the heap with essentially the same squad and a marginally better defense (arguable).  

Your poster sums it up.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  187

#1 key to winning at Pitt....make sure Wannstedt is the head coach on the other sidelines.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Score points, while at the same time defending against the University of Pittsburgh's team from scoring an equal or greater amount of afore-mentioned points.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Play good D

Run Andre

NO turnovers

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  184

Establish that we can pass...

Then run Hall over, around and through them.

TOOOOUCHDOWN!  Andre Hall!

I hope to hear that on the radio a lot on Saturday.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

spike Pitts gatoraid with exlax... ;D

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

spike Pitts gatoraid with exlax... ;D

That should be #1 on the list of "57 reasons we're going to beat Pitt."