• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Show some respect on BJM name! :) USF 2019 defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Nice deflect Mr. Sawtelle. As the case with Roberts, might be a nice guy, but not an impact player like the guy that took his place. You keep fooling yourself by blaming all of this clown show on the coaches. There is an obvious lack of talent on this team as a whole and especially the 2 deep. Not one time have I heard someone like say this season "If Nico would have been playing in the case of Macon, we would be much better." Just like Roberts, he will hurt you more than he would help you. That is a fact!!!

Nico was never going to start in place of Macon, they would have been starting alongside each other, and we would have been a better team for it. We miss him dearly on the field and it especially showed against Wisconsin. You fail to account for intangibles and leadership in making disparaging remarks without backing anything up with actual stats or proof. Just because you say something is a fact and put three exclamation points behind the word doesn't make it so.  

There is clearly talent on this defense. You aren't ranked at or near the top of the nation in turnovers, fumbles, interceptions, tackles for loss, and sacks without talent. The problem has been 3rd down defense, big plays, and PENALTIES. A big part of those problems stems from coaching and discipline. We are making progress on defense and hopefully that will continue through the rest of the season and into next year. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,467
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Nice deflect Mr. Sawtelle. As the case with Roberts, might be a nice guy, but not an impact player like the guy that took his place.

The "impact player" that replaced Nico is averaging .25 more tackles a game. Nico had 7.5 TFL's and 2 sacks in 6 games. Macon has 8 TFL's and 2 sacks in 8 games. Nico had 6 wins in 6 games, Macon 4 wins in 8 games

Not one time have I heard someone like say this season "If Nico would have been playing in the case of Macon, we would be much better."

That's because there hasn't been a noticeable drop off in the mlb play like there was last year after Sawtelle went out .... that we can identify, . What on the field role does the mlb have in setting up the defense? Maybe that would explain the inconsistency in how the defense plays at times, don't know ....... bottom line is that there's nothing you can point to to defend stupid observations like this:

7 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Same lame defense most made for Sawtelle. He may be an outstanding young man, but struggles on the field.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,514
  • Days Won:  28

6 hours ago, BulledOver said:

You would think that with BJM and CCS both being D guys we would have a smash mouth, terrorizing defense. Of course personnel but that's a recruiting/portal effort by those coaches. Wonder what happened with Auggie?  Thought he was supposed to now be at USF?  What he lacked in physical ability/speed he made up for in savy and could read offenses. Re: current D...I hope they are just getting zeroed in at this point of the season. They certainly got to that ECU qb a lot more than ucf did I think they beat him up pretty good. The days of Selvie and JPP and gang they were qb muggers. 

In the end, if you want a bad ass defense you need the personnel. I think they got some great guys in the portal and developing their current guys. I feel we have a lot of great recruits, but they need more conditioning and experience. This is still a very young team. I also think our DTs need to hit the weight room harder. Kelvin Pinckney bench presses 330Ibs...good for a linebacker, but not for a DT. Hell CCS bench presses  more than that. They should all be at 400-500Ibs for their max. Deadrin Senat and Bruce Hector were both was freakin super strong so he was able to clog the middle. I think they hit the transfer portal in the offseason again to fill a few gaps. 

7 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Much like Gilberts offense getting yards all these defensive stats are activity without accomplishment. Still give up almost 30 points per game. Horrid in run and pass defense.  Give up big plays. Cant cover wide receivers. Missed tackles. Always going for a strip fumble rather than tackle. Taught to lead with helmets. I see them all do it to pop the ball out.  

Um....You are using some misleading stats to prove your point. Out of 8 games, ONLY 3 teams scored over 30pts against us. A Defense can only accomplish so much if the offense don't do their part. In our 4 losses, we scored 0pts, 14pts, 21pts and 3pts. WTF do you want the defense to do when we don't score? I never said this defense was perfect, but they have been carrying them team while we figure out our offense. 

Would you like to go on the record to say that Sawtelle is better than Macon?

Macon is probably the greatest steal this team has ever gotten in terms of transfer talent on Defense. Doesn't mean Sawtelle was a bad player. Being a LB is a cerebral position as well, and he had that part to make up for his physical shortcomings. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Um....You are using some misleading stats to prove your point. Out of 8 games, ONLY 3 teams scored over 30pts against us. A Defense can only accomplish so much if the offense don't do their part. In our 4 losses, we scored 0pts, 14pts, 21pts and 3pts. WTF do you want the defense to do when we don't score? I never said this defense was perfect, but they have been carrying them team while we figure out our offense. 

in our 4 wins the offense has scored 55 - 48 - 27 - 45

in 3 of our losses our defense has given up 49 - 48 - 35

it works both ways.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Macon is probably the greatest steal this team has ever gotten in terms of transfer talent on Defense. Doesn't mean Sawtelle was a bad player. Being a LB is a cerebral position as well, and he had that part to make up for his physical shortcomings. 

2nd round draft pick Kawika Mitchell might disagree

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,467
  • Days Won:  422

Just now, Bull94 said:

Beat me to it ...... barely.

Just now, Bull94 said:

in our 4 wins the offense has scored 55 - 48 - 27 - 45

in 3 of our losses our defense has given up 49 - 48 - 35

it works both ways.

And I perfectly acknolwledged that it takes defense and offence to win a game. 

Wisconsin - We scored 0pts!!!! The only way the defense could have kept us from NOT lost that game was if they shut out Wisconsin and we ended the game in a tie.

GT - They beat us by scoring 14pts.....all we needed to do was score freaking 15 pts and we would have won. 

Navy , SMU, scored a **** load of points, but we had plenty of stops and turnovers to beat them and the offense couldn't do anything. 

But in our 4 wins of   55 - 48 - 27 - 45 that YOU mentioned, we held our opponents to UNDER 25 pts!!!!  So we could have won those games even if we scored UNDER 30pts

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Was he a "transfer" 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

And I perfectly acknolwledged that it takes defense and offence to win a game. 

Wisconsin - We scored 0pts!!!! The only way the defense could have kept us from NOT lost that game was if they shut out Wisconsin and we ended the game in a tie.

GT - They beat us by scoring 14pts.....all we needed to do was score freaking 15 pts and we would have won. 

Navy , SMU, scored a **** load of points, but we had plenty of stops and turnovers to beat them and the offense couldn't do anything. 

But in our 4 wins of   55 - 48 - 27 - 45 that YOU mentioned, we held our opponents to UNDER 25 pts!!!!  So we could have won those games even if we scored UNDER 30pts

Was he a "transfer" 

Yes, from the university of Georgia