• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Show some respect on BJM name! :) USF 2019 defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Sawtelle is injured.  When he was healthy and playing we were winning.  He got injured and boom we lost 9 in a row. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

This has been a pretty negative year for USF Football. Therefore, I wanted to point out some of our positives. Some of you are hell bent on chitting on Brian Jean-Marie, but for the most part we are much improved. Our biggest weakness is rush defense and 3rd downs which can be fixed. We finished 2018 ranked #95 in total defense.  

USF 2019 Football Defense  

Ranked: 

#58 in total defense 

#1 in turnovers gained 

#3 Fumbles recovered 

#2 Tackles for Loss 

#16 Interceptions 

#40 Sacks 

Defensive Leaders -  

Tackles  Macon, Reaves, NICK ROBERTS (for Corey Lea), Studstill, and Boyles 

Tackle for loss  Dwayne Boyles, Kirk Livingstone, Patrick Macon, Greg Reeves, and Antonio Grier 

Interceptions  Nick Roberts, Sails, Reaves, Studstill, V. Davis,  

Sacks – Reaves, Grier, Boyles, Livingstone, and Macon.  

I am not saying we have a lights out defense, but feel I should acknowledge that we have IMPROVED.  

Much like Gilberts offense getting yards all these defensive stats are activity without accomplishment. Still give up almost 30 points per game. Horrid in run and pass defense.  Give up big plays. Cant cover wide receivers. Missed tackles. Always going for a strip fumble rather than tackle. Taught to lead with helmets. I see them all do it to pop the ball out.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

They seem to play much more aggressive on first and second down and it works usually then on third down they back off the pressure and they let up a third and 10.  They might be trying to force teams to go 10+ plays to score and hope that before they reach the endzone they get a turnover or eventually stop them.  

They have looked pretty good vs bad or avg teams lets see them look good vs a better team...they have four games to show a continued improvement. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

17 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

This has been a pretty negative year for USF Football. Therefore, I wanted to point out some of our positives. Some of you are hell bent on chitting on Brian Jean-Marie, but for the most part we are much improved. Our biggest weakness is rush defense and 3rd downs which can be fixed. We finished 2018 ranked #95 in total defense.  

USF 2019 Football Defense  

Ranked: 

#58 in total defense 

#1 in turnovers gained 

#3 Fumbles recovered 

#2 Tackles for Loss 

#16 Interceptions 

#40 Sacks 

Defensive Leaders -  

Tackles  Macon, Reaves, NICK ROBERTS (for Corey Lea), Studstill, and Boyles 

Tackle for loss  Dwayne Boyles, Kirk Livingstone, Patrick Macon, Greg Reeves, and Antonio Grier 

Interceptions  Nick Roberts, Sails, Reaves, Studstill, V. Davis,  

Sacks – Reaves, Grier, Boyles, Livingstone, and Macon.  

I am not saying we have a lights out defense, but feel I should acknowledge that we have IMPROVED.  

You would think that with BJM and CCS both being D guys we would have a smash mouth, terrorizing defense. Of course personnel but that's a recruiting/portal effort by those coaches. Wonder what happened with Auggie?  Thought he was supposed to now be at USF?  What he lacked in physical ability/speed he made up for in savy and could read offenses. Re: current D...I hope they are just getting zeroed in at this point of the season. They certainly got to that ECU qb a lot more than ucf did I think they beat him up pretty good. The days of Selvie and JPP and gang they were qb muggers. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Same lame defense most made for Sawtelle. He may be an outstanding young man, but struggles on the field.

It's funny how all you Sawtelle cheerleaders went all crickets!!! Lol

Excuse me? No need need to comment on Sawtelle until you make some some stupid, uninformed comment on him like that. Their stats as starters are remarkably similar except that Nico was astute enough to get a pick ....... and not lose a game as a starter. Keep making a fool of your self by trying to denigrate him.

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Excuse me? No need need to comment on Sawtelle until you make some some stupid, uninformed comment on him like that. Their stats as starters are remarkably similar except that Nico was astute enough to get a pick ....... and not lose a game as a starter. Keep making a fool of your self by trying to denigrate him.

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Nice deflect Mr. Sawtelle. As the case with Roberts, might be a nice guy, but not an impact player like the guy that took his place. You keep fooling yourself by blaming all of this clown show on the coaches. There is an obvious lack of talent on this team as a whole and especially the 2 deep. Not one time have I heard someone like say this season "If Nico would have been playing in the case of Macon, we would be much better." Just like Roberts, he will hurt you more than he would help you. That is a fact!!!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Not a fact....

Your incorrect opinion 

Edited by DELdaBull

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649

13 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Not a fact....

Your incorrect opinion 

Would you like to go on the record to say that Sawtelle is better than Macon?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  639

It's a huge difference, and they played especially well in the beginning of the year.  We had much better alignment, backfield penetration, and guys were driving through tackles instead of doing those fall-away hugs from last year.  We all expected Macon to be the star transfer, but KJ Sails has been awesome.  I do wish we'd convert Bentlee to RB/WR - he seems to be at his best with the ball in his hands - so we can have Burnett and Evans out at nickel.