• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Notre Dame: Can everyone now agree

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  19

They have no business being mentioned in connection with the CFP...ever!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

Can't really agree with "ever" but this year definitely over hyped ....

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Can't really agree with "ever" but this year definitely over hyped ....

I am kind of sick of them taking advantage of their "special" status to get into the CFP mix only to be destroyed by any good team.  Notre Dame is usually not as good as advertised.

I do get that but there are years where their schedule should get them consideration depending on how they navigate through it ...... although not this year. There's no way they should have been a top 10 in any poll before yesterday, which I guess is what brought this up.

56 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I do get that but there are years where their schedule should get them consideration depending on how they navigate through it ...... although not this year. There's no way they should have been a top 10 in any poll before yesterday, which I guess is what brought this up.

Not to belabor the point but I guess that is where I would disagree.  I would argue that their schedule doesn't support them being considered for the CFP, particularly without having to at least compete for a conference championship.   There are usually at least a couple of teams that are at least comparable to Notre Dame but have go through that last hurdle of playing for a conference championship.  Selecting Notre Dame appears, on its face, to conflict with CFP Selection Committee's own criteria which states:

Proposed Selection Process:

Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head‐to‐head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie‐breaker; apply specific guidelines).

The criteria to be provided to the selection committee must be aligned with the ideals of the commissioners, Presidents, athletic directors and coaches to honor regular season success while at the same time providing enough flexibility and discretion to select a non‐champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non‐champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

• Championships won
  • Strength of schedule
  • Head‐to‐head competition (if it occurred)
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

I contend that Notre Dame makes it into the mix based primarily on name recognition and marketability, not any legitimate strength of schedule matrix or even a subjective "eye test" comparison of on-field performances over the season.  I think their recent post-season record bears this out.  Note this excerpt from a USA Today article by Tim Stebbins on last season's blowout loss to Clemson:

For Notre Dame, the loss is more of the same in terms of losing big in the "big" postseason games. The Fighting Irish ended the BCS era 0-4 in BCS bowl games, losing the 2001 and 2006 Fiesta Bowl, the 2007 Sugar Bowl and the 2013 BCS National Championship Game.  Saturday's loss to Clemson dropped Notre Dame's record in New Year's Six games to 0-2, as the Fighting Irish also lost the 2016 Fiesta Bowl. A look at the scores of those games, respectively:

Game Score
2001 Fiesta Bowl Oregon State 41, Notre Dame 9
2006 Fiesta Bowl Ohio State 34, Notre Dame 20
2007 Sugar Bowl LSU 41, Notre Dame 14
2013 BCS National Championship Game Alabama 42, Notre Dame 14
2016 Fiesta Bowl Ohio State 44, Notre Dame 28
2018 Cotton Bowl Clemson 30, Notre Dame 3

I just think it is time to recognize that Notre Dame does not compete on the same level or relative difficulty as the major P5 football powers (the same argument that was used to exclude UCF) and to eliminate them from any serious consideration for the CFP.

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

I just think it is time to recognize that Notre Dame does not compete on the same level or relative difficulty as the major P5 football powers (the same argument that was used to exclude UCF) and to eliminate them from any serious consideration for the CFP.

You're correct, UCF was never seriously considered because they didn't compete on the same level or relative difficulty as the major P5 football programs ..... and probably never will in the current set up .... but there's a possibility that may not be the case for Notre Dame's schedule in a given year. All I'm saying is that Notre Dame, BYU or any independent shouldn't be eliminated from consideration strictly based on the fact they won't have a conference championship. It'll be a strike against them, and tough to overcome, but shouldn't be an automatic disqualification, IMO.......... but I do get your being fed up with the Irish love fest. Just playing the part of impartial observer.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

19 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

By some standards used in Orlando, they were co-national champs in 2012

Wish we had a chance to be that stupid.