• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is there a way to ban "on campus stadium" threads?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Because we want one, dammit! ;-)

Hard to argure with that logic ..............   :-/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think that anyone thinks that we can build one now. I think that we should start a Capital Campaign now for funding of a stadium in the future. I talked to Mike Lapan about it a year ago, he said that it would cost approximately 15K per seat.  

One of the reasons that I think we need one, is the fact that the Galzers made 150K from food and berverages alone for the ucf game.

I don't think that anyone thinks that we can build one now. I think that we should start a Capital Campaign now for funding of a stadium in the future. I talked to Mike Lapan about it a year ago, he said that it would cost approximately 15K per seat.  

One of the reasons that I think we need one, is the fact that the Galzers made 150K from food and berverages alone for the ucf game.

First, capital campaigns usually only run for 3-5 years.

Second, USF has already started a capital campaign for the renovation of exising and construction of new athletic facilities.

Third, Raymond James was built at a cost of less than $3 K per seat. ($168.5 million).  If you're talking $15K per seat, that would be quite the football palace -- that's $750 million for a 50,000 seat stadium.  The Indianapolis Colts are looking at building a $500 million stadium for 75,000 seats with a retractable roof!!

Looking at stadiums in the Big East... Heinz field cost $230 million for 65,000 seats or just over $3,500 per seat.  Papa John's cost $56 million for 45,000 seats or $1,244 per seat.  Rentschler Field cost $91.8 million for about 40,000 seats ($2,295 per seat)...

First, capital campaigns usually only run for 3-5 years.

Second, USF has already started a capital campaign for the renovation of exising and construction of new athletic facilities.

Third, Raymond James was built at a cost of less than $3 K per seat. ($168.5 million).  If you're talking $15K per seat, that would be quite the football palace -- that's $750 million for a 50,000 seat stadium.  The Indianapolis Colts are looking at building a $500 million stadium for 75,000 seats with a retractable roof!!

Looking at stadiums in the Big East... Heinz field cost $230 million for 65,000 seats or just over $3,500 per seat.  Papa John's cost $56 million for 45,000 seats or $1,244 per seat.  Rentschler Field cost $91.8 million for about 40,000 seats ($2,295 per seat)...

Fine, prove me wrong with facts.  :P :P :-[it was over a year ago, so I could have my figures wrong (as you have so adeptly proven). My point being we could start to raise money now, for the future construction of a stadium. Is there a time limit on how long a capital campaign can run? I just hate knowing that the Galzers make so much money from everything at the stadium. And for those of you that worry about not drinking beer at the game, hell tailgate harder before and after, I know that I would personally save at leats $20 per game if it wasn't for the beer sales. :):)

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

They better sell beer at our new stadium...   Good beer too, not some of that panther piss, I want Boddington's. And doughnuts! Mmmmmmm Hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts that we could all eat while were taking rides on the mechanical bulls that they'll have at every entrance. And maybe they'll make the goal posts out of candy and actually let fat kids storm the field after every game. Dare to dream kids, Dare to Dream......     ;)

Oh yeah, "Mutt Field" has a nice ring to it, Don't it??

Fine, prove me wrong with facts.  :P :P :-[it was over a year ago, so I could have my figures wrong (as you have so adeptly proven). My point being we could start to raise money now, for the future construction of a stadium. Is there a time limit on how long a capital campaign can run? I just hate knowing that the Galzers make so much money from everything at the stadium. And for those of you that worry about not drinking beer at the game, hell tailgate harder before and after, I know that I would personally save at leats $20 per game if it wasn't for the beer sales. :):)

Technically there is no time limit on capital campaigns... however, it's hard to ask for big money if the campaign is not getting near the goal...

Here is how I would raise the money...

1) I would design a 60,000-seat stadium along the lines of Doak Campbell -- meaning I would put offices, classrooms, and other features around the outside.  These features provide source of funds: PECO* for class space and CITF* for non-class space. These funds could also help with infrastructure costs.

2) I would include a number of luxury boxes that would be sold like condominiums.  USF would probably own most of them and lease them annually, but some might be bought out-right by alumni or corporations.  [NOTE: Raymond James boxes are all technically condos owned by the Buccaneers.]  Figure 30 boxes at $300,000 each.  That would be $9 million.

3) I would create a personal seat license program where donors would buy the right to purchase season tickets.  Follow the Buccaneers method where you get 5% returned every year for 10 years then the last 50% in the last year.  These licenses would be for club seats and those inside the 20s.  If the licenses were for $5000 and we sold 20,000 of them, that would be $100 million.

4) I would create a donor program to raise private donations.  This campaign would be designed to raise $40 - $50 million and would be for capital costs only.

The total cost of this project would be somewhere around $250 million.  I figure $50 million in PECO* and CITF* funds, $100 million from personal seat licenses, $9 million from the sale of the luxury boxes, and $40 million in donations.  That brings the actual debt down to around $100 million.

At $100 million, the debt service would be around $8.4 million per year.  Naming rights would provide $1.5 million per year (Raymond James is paying $32.5 million for 13 years).  Students would be assessed a small fee of $3 per semester per student, this would ensure free tickets to football games for the first 15,000 students; and it would raise about $315,000 per year (based on 45,000 students).  Advertising for this would bring in another $1.5 million per year.  That leaves just over $5 million per year in debt service.

Assuming a full stadium for 6 home games, and half full for the spring football game -- that would be 280,000 tickets sold.  If $15 is added to every ticket (putting USF in the $45 range of Miami), it would raise $4.2 million.

The remaining $800,000 would come from $8 per car parking fee for non-students. (Parking would probably be $15 per car for operational costs).

In order to do this. We would need to SELL OUT a 60,000 seat stadium.  Thus, USF needs to prove it can sell that many tickets to games on a regular basis.

So, when USF can AVERAGE more than 50,000 fans per game, that is when we should think about starting to build an on-campus stadium.

* PECO = Public Edcuation Capital Outlay.  The state fund that builds education facilities funded by the gross receipts tax on utility and telecommunications bills.

* CITF = Capital Improvement Trust Fund.  The state fund that builds non-education facilities for state universities funded by a per-credit-hour fee paid by all students.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  662

----Sorry to interupt the flow of this thread-----

BRANDON FAZA! It's Jenna the cheerleader....how are you doing?? I didn't know you posted on here! :)

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

The problem with this logic.....you want to spend over $100,000,000.00 to keep the $150,000?  That's not a good return on investment!

The problem with this logic.....you want to spend over $100,000,000.00 to keep the $150,000?  That's not a good return on investment!

The problem with your logic, or lack thereof, is that you are comparing the overalll cost of a stadium to SOME of the income lost in one game attended by less than 50K people. I just realized something. Someone one could build us the the most modern, stacked with ammenities stadium for free, and you would ***** because it was on campus.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think we need an on-campus tikki bar first!!