• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCloud was Really Hurt Last Week

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

41 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Most top level hires are expected to make immediate results and if you don’t care for that pressure you can always stay entry level but even then you would have some expectations of ability and progress should you like to make it thru your 90 days. Maybe in academia you can survive on theoretical achievements but here in the real world you should be expected to be measured by your results. The only reason we are discussing KB in detail is because his first 6 games are far below average we are a bottom quartile offense and even if our talent is lacking it’s not in the bottom quartile. KB came out of training expecting our offense to be humming with the talent he has in place, that it isn’t certainly leaves him open to criticism. Please let me know what random game you find acceptable to start acknowledging his incompetence.

Key word: Most

For whatever reason, college football coaching results are judged not on the result of 1-3 games into the year, but rather the entire season as a whole (barring no progression at all throughout the first 2/3rd of the season). This isn't an accounting firm, most new hires during the tenure of head coach are made for one of two reasons-incompetence on the part of the previous staff, or success resulting in a bigger job for the previous staff. The only thing a coach can be judged on in his first six months on a job (given there are no games) is the cultural progress the team made. In Bell's case, he was hired because of Gilbert's incompetence, as was Darveau (for Mattox). By all accounts the culture was a lot better, until WIsconsin smacked the offense in the face. I'd still say the culture is better, because Strong and staff are still trying different methods to fix the culture that was previously so horrid. Now, it may be doubtful that Strong can do it, but we still have six games left (at least) to see if what the team is doing now is real or just the result of weak competition. 

I'll note something else here-if we went by Strong's first six months or year here, then we would have been marveling over his results. I was very much in favor of his hire, I felt he must be more the coach we saw at UL, now I've seen that he isn't, and all we can do is wait for him to either reinvent himself as Taggart did and start winning something, or for Kelly to get rid of him. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Our struggles offensively weren't too hard to predict.  We literally did go routes and HB dives all season last year.  Further, Glibert's designs cut off half the field so the QB only needed to make one or two progressions without a checkdown.   This stagnated everyone's growth in football IQ.  Now trying to teach routes and fundamentals it might be easier to start with freshmen.  Will it pay off eventually is anybody's guess...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

3 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Exactly.  Both can be true at the same time.  You have a new offensive system, a young and injured QB with some obvious tools. Anything can happen from here.  

As long as we are clear i'm getting down on the young man, just judging the numbers and not the person

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

Most top level hires are expected to make immediate results and if you don’t care for that pressure you can always stay entry level but even then you would have some expectations of ability and progress should you like to make it thru your 90 days. Maybe in academia you can survive on theoretical achievements but here in the real world you should be expected to be measured by your results. The only reason we are discussing KB in detail is because his first 6 games are far below average we are a bottom quartile offense and even if our talent is lacking it’s not in the bottom quartile. KB came out of training expecting our offense to be humming with the talent he has in place, that it isn’t certainly leaves him open to criticism. Please let me know what random game you find acceptable to start acknowledging his incompetence.

There is no way you can expect that in coaching. There are simply too many variables that are out of the coaches’ control. At least for the first year. Most certainly for the first six games...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

There is no way you can expect that in coaching. There are simply too many variables that are out of the coaches’ control. At least for the first year. Most certainly for the first six games...

And yet somehow someway there are people that come in and make things better or at the very least do not make them worse. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, puc86 said:

And yet somehow someway there are people that come in and make things better or at the very least do not make them worse. 

True but in CFB I’ll venture to say they are the exception not the rule. He gets next year but that’s it (I need 8 wins too). 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

True but in CFB I’ll venture to say they are the exception not the rule. He gets next year but that’s it (I need 8 wins too). 

I believe the minimum expectation should be that you don’t make things worse, if you do more often than not the direction you are aiming towards is bad and eventually you will pivot away from it or be fired. A perfect example is CWT when he came in he immediately went the wrong direction and immediately was worse than Holtz, everyone said blah blah blah time blah blah blah his players blah blah blah blah, and then after years of it obviously not being a successful plan we pivoted and did okay just in time for him to leave and us to start over again. If your system comes in and immediately drops itself to one of the worst in the nation and it stays there for 6 games I can pretty confidently tell you this system will fail you on out of a job if you only have 24 games to be successful. If KB stays the course on his plan for his offense he and CCS will deservedly not be coaching at USF following next season.