• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCloud was Really Hurt Last Week

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

20 minutes ago, PingBull said:

uhhh, hasn't that always been USF's scheme?  Julmiste, Grothe, BJ, even Barnett ran a ton last year...

No

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, puc86 said:

KB is on track to have one of the worst passing offenses we have ever had 

Valid point.

I will throw out (pun intended) that this team has thrown more TD passes and is on pace to surpass the passing yards of the 2003 & 2004 football teams with Ronnie Banks/Pat Julmiste at the helm. Which stands out to me as the worst passing teams that I can recall. 

I still don't know how that 2003 team went 7-4. That UAB game was just painful. 5 interceptions thrown and still only lost on a game winning FG. I believe Julmiste got sacked 3 straight plays during the TCU game in 2003. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It takes a next level genius to go pass happy against a team that is terrible against the run. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  166
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, puc86 said:

If I said there was no other option but to run because the last qb willing to still go back into the game said “hey coach can we please start running the ball” why would I have to come up with more options?
Also let’s try a thought experiment let’s say you are facing a qb that can’t throw more than 50 yds but the OC keeps running go routs past that mark at which point the defensive backs stop dead allowing them to run free would it be the QBs fault that he can’t hit the wide open receivers ? And if he was actually hitting them do you think they would continue to be wide open?

When it comes to actually converting passing plays KB and his turn the ball over faster offense is ranked 110th and at the end of the day what you actually accomplish with the team you actually have is all that maters, not what people wish you could do or pretend they see in some theoretical alternative universe.

KB is on track to have one of the worst passing offenses we have ever had and this is hardly the worst tools or toughest schedules we have ever faced, the OC has no clothes and everyone pretending they see something are only doing so because they are embarrassed of buying into the DIiiii hype train.

Or Maybe ckb stayed aggressive and took some deep balls over top on the post to separate or to keep the defense honest so they wouldn’t put more players at the line of scrimmage to stop the run. mccloud obviously likes to run the ball and we don’t complain when he takes off and runs to get first downs or touchdowns. Last week vs BYU mccloud ran a zone read play that he scored a touchdown on the goal line to take the lead. At Valdosta state the Qb run game was a big part of ckb Offense. The reason I think ckb offense is going to be great for us if he has time is because he has the same qb runs and spread game to get the players the ball in space just like the gco when we had flowers. But also he knows how to throw the ball down the field on a nfl level and help guys get open unlike we had before. After all the big time coaches to come through Valdosta state, they rave about ckb and what he did there. People are saying this year even with the same players there the offense isn’t nearly as explosive and good. His first year at Jacksonville he went 3 and 9 and then won the conference year 2. His second year at Valdosta state they won 5 games and struggled on offense with young guys and young qb, then the next year went 14 and 0.  I think if we give him time and gets what he needs we will have the best offense we have had here. He has always recruited and got what he needs every where he’s been. Issue is it’s not his program. This is his first time not being a head coach and calling the shots. That could be a problem. 

4 minutes ago, Bullgrad84 said:

Or Maybe ckb stayed aggressive and took some deep balls over top on the post to separate or to keep the defense honest so they wouldn’t put more players at the line of scrimmage to stop the run. mccloud obviously likes to run the ball and we don’t complain when he takes off and runs to get first downs or touchdowns. Last week vs BYU mccloud ran a zone read play that he scored a touchdown on the goal line to take the lead. At Valdosta state the Qb run game was a big part of ckb Offense. The reason I think ckb offense is going to be great for us if he has time is because he has the same qb runs and spread game to get the players the ball in space just like the gco when we had flowers. But also he knows how to throw the ball down the field on a nfl level and help guys get open unlike we had before. After all the big time coaches to come through Valdosta state, they rave about ckb and what he did there. People are saying this year even with the same players there the offense isn’t nearly as explosive and good. His first year at Jacksonville he went 3 and 9 and then won the conference year 2. His second year at Valdosta state they won 5 games and struggled on offense with young guys and young qb, then the next year went 14 and 0.  I think if we give him time and gets what he needs we will have the best offense we have had here. He has always recruited and got what he needs every where he’s been. Issue is it’s not his program. This is his first time not being a head coach and calling the shots. That could be a problem. 

He is half the year thru the maximum 2 years he will have to turn things around, if he think he will be able to win 5 games next season and then get to go 14-0 in year three he will find himself a day late and a dollar short. He knew he was coming here to be an OC (the best job he has ever had by far) and CCS has given him full autonomy over the offense, he can call whatever shots he would like and the only problem that exists for him is that he is calling the wrong shots for his situation. His offense here is awful, this is 100 percent his fault and his responsibility, he has at most 2 years to save his and CCS' jobs, should he get unceremoniously fired from here he will be right back in DIIII where he belongs and will never be heard from again.  

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

16 minutes ago, puc86 said:

He is half the year thru the maximum 2 years he will have to turn things around, 

Are we so sure about that? Agreed KB only signed a 2 year contract. But keep in mind, CCS has 3 years including this one. 

What win total would cause Kelly to pull the trigger on paying the buyout? Or in other words, how low is the bar in Kelly's mind? 6 wins either season?  I know the fan base will be pretty upset if CCS went 5-7 and 6-6 and then was brought back for 2021 but it wouldn't surprise me. 

1 minute ago, usf97 said:

Are we so sure about that? Agreed KB only signed a 2 year contract. But keep in mind, CCS has 3 years including this one. 

What win total would cause Kelly to pull the trigger on paying the buyout? Or in other words, how low is the bar in Kelly's mind? 6 wins either season?  I know the fan base will be pretty upset if CCS went 5-7 and 6-6 and then was brought back for 2021 but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Yes I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that in this scenario CKB is not extended and CCS is most likely given his parting gift, KB has next season to save himself and CCS and if its going to take him longer he probably should have thought about accepting a two year contract here. He knew the situation he was walking into, he went thru the entire off season figuring out his offense with the players he had here and what he presented vs what we have gotten is the complete opposite. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

10 hours ago, puc86 said:

If I said there was no other option but to run because the last qb willing to still go back into the game said “hey coach can we please start running the ball” why would I have to come up with more options?
Also let’s try a thought experiment let’s say you are facing a qb that can’t throw more than 50 yds but the OC keeps running go routs past that mark at which point the defensive backs stop dead allowing them to run free would it be the QBs fault that he can’t hit the wide open receivers ? And if he was actually hitting them do you think they would continue to be wide open?

When it comes to actually converting passing plays KB and his turn the ball over faster offense is ranked 110th and at the end of the day what you actually accomplish with the team you actually have is all that maters, not what people wish you could do or pretend they see in some theoretical alternative universe.

KB is on track to have one of the worst passing offenses we have ever had and this is hardly the worst tools or toughest schedules we have ever faced, the OC has no clothes and everyone pretending they see something are only doing so because they are embarrassed of buying into the DIiiii hype train.

I don't buy the no clothes argument because both this year and last year the lines have been trash. Had the line been even 10% better last year we don't go on a six game losing streak to end the season, had the line been 20% better it's almost a guarantee we still compete for a conference championship, and a lot of that comes from Blake Barnett getting David Carr'd last year. We know what he's capable of, but he's been hit so many times that he hears footsteps coming even when they aren't. He has the talent, the GT game last year proved it-he's just been sacked so often he doesn't have any trust in his pocket being secure and so his throws end up being terrible. I will give you that Darveau shouldn't have shuffled the line, a lot of young guys got early playing time last year and they should have been able to stay and learn the position they were playing. 

Now McCloud comes along, he hasn't been sacked into oblivion, and until his hand gets injured he actually looked relatively competent (for a freshmen at least). I will give you that he looked awful against SMU, but really-who didn't in starter vs starter action? BYU of course he was injured but I still saw the smart pocket awareness I expected. Had his hand been 100% I suspect we would have rolled BYU, because those deep shots to McDoom are on target. 

As is, if he's 100% on Saturday then Navy can load the box all they want, I suspect we can dump it off to Wilcox and Mathis until they finally back off. I suspect we will be much more balanced on Saturday. 

Edited by bullsbucsfan426

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  166
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

He is half the year thru the maximum 2 years he will have to turn things around, if he think he will be able to win 5 games next season and then get to go 14-0 in year three he will find himself a day late and a dollar short. He knew he was coming here to be an OC (the best job he has ever had by far) and CCS has given him full autonomy over the offense, he can call whatever shots he would like and the only problem that exists for him is that he is calling the wrong shots for his situation. His offense here is awful, this is 100 percent his fault and his responsibility, he has at most 2 years to save his and CCS' jobs, should he get unceremoniously fired from here he will be right back in DIIII where he belongs and will never be heard from again.  

Yeah it’s a tough situation obviously he took the job but doesn’t mean it’s a good situation. Obviously there is a talent issue and qb issue here. And I wouldn’t say he’s calling the wrong shots. He’s game planning defenses and being creative with different runs and getting people wide open down the field. Even early in the season vs Wisconsin he got 2 receivers open and they dropped the ball for big plays. Last year schedule was a lot easier than this years. At least we are not running the same plays over and over again. Same 2 run plays and jump ball passes without any game planning like we did the last couple years. Let’s be honest, when we had good offenses here we had Q, BJ, and grothe. Same with teams in our conference. Bell will get that. Always finds a good qb and understands talent in Florida. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Makes sense why he had that bad fumble.

Agree a healthy hand and its possibly not a close game at all in the 4th.

• Like 1