• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What would the Bulls' FB uniform look like if...

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212
  • Days Won:  0

The 2004 media guide shows white pants.  Have we worn them since then?

04Fmgcover.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I hate "armpit spikes." In fact, most of these new designs, with the random vertical and horizontal lines all over the place, ought to be taken out back and burned. They scream "XFL."

In fact, that Maryland photo is a great example of the fashion disaster that college football has become. It looks like a photo of an Iowa Barnstormers game, but the team helmets got stolen so they had to borrow some from a local high school.

The colors don't match, the patterns don't match, the lettering doesn't match. The helmet doesn't have the yellow trim that every other part of the uniform does. It's hideous.

It's very simple: if you're going to have modern uniforms, have modern helmets. If you're going to have classic helmets, have classic uniforms. Mixing and matching them is like wearing brown pants and a blue jacket.

Anyway, here's what the USF uniform should look like:

ns6.jpg

Why should it look like that? Because that's what it looked like in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004.

College football is all about tradition. Appropriately, the best college football uniforms are the ones that never change. Michigan, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Penn State, Texas A&M. USF had a chance to have a permanent look for its football team, just by keeping the unique look they used from 97-04. Sadly, they threw it away.

actually that's not entirely true, the logo on the helmet was changed a couple years ago along with the lettering on the sleeves and the bulls added to the chest. I actually really like the subtle changes we've made and think the green on green this year is the best yet.

However, I'm not opposed to going to a more modern look as long as it isn't totally absurd like oregon. Programs around the country are making the change regardless of tradition and I think there is a good reason for it. Recruits these days want to look hip and that look is in. Will that be the reason a kid chooses a school? probably not, but I do believe it could be part of the equation. If you don't believe that just try to remember high school and how important it was to look "cool"

I'm not really sure why people associate this look with the xfl, wasn't it the broncos in the nfl that really started the look? Also, I am not quite sure what the fuss is about trying so hard to look like an old fashioned team. We aren't an old fashion team and we shouldn't be pushing so hard to try to be one. Look at Miami, I think part of their appeal is that they are a modern team leaving the old fogie teams in the dust...this is both look, attitude and style of play. Kids look at miami as "in" and teams like washington as "out"

ps...still don't like the gold in washingtons pants either.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know why anybody likes those Nike uniforms.  To me they don't look new, they look old and not nearly as classy.  Anyway, if you want to alter the bulls uniform, why not take the Iconic U onto the jersey, going from under the numbers above the waist, up the front/sides, and then over the shoulders.  That should be enough of a stripe for you.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

What's wrong with them? They're simple, classic, feature the team and school name prominently, are easy to read, and don't have "armpit spikes" or other bad design ideas.

They look fine.........................................if this was 1974!

Like Bullheaded said, we're not an old team, why are some of you so deadset on making us look like one?

The numbers in that pic are atrocious. The USF on the sleeves is obnoxiously huge and "boxy". Nothing about that uniform says "fast" or "confidence" or "we're gonna kick your ass"

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

anything but white on white

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

They look fine.........................................if this was 1974!

There's nothing remotely 1974 about that look. A 70s uniform would wide stripes all over the helmet, pants, and sleeves. It would have mustard yellow instead of gold, and wouldn't use a lettering font like that. Check some of the uniform histories at ssur.org and you'll see what I mean.

The numbers in that pic are atrocious.

"Atrocious" is a bit much, especially considering some of the fonts that are out there. At least they're legible, which is more than you can say for some teams.

The USF on the sleeves is obnoxiously huge and "boxy".

It can be made smaller. As for "boxy", the emblem is based on the official university logo. Take it up with the front office.

Nothing about that uniform says "fast" or "confidence" or "we're gonna kick your ass"

Uh-huh. But armpit spikes and Iowa Barnstormer wings do?

Actually, jerseys like Maryland and Missouri say either (a) "we're a historical loser in football that prostituted ourselves to a shoe company that's using us as test-marketing for designs they hope to pitch to bigger schools later on", or (B) "the athletic department is hopelessly in the red, and are hoping to scrape some cash together through jersey sales."

But hey, there's no accounting for taste. You like gaudy, great. But I, and most sports fans, prefer traditional to modern. The 1970s Houston Astros uniforms were once "modern."

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

anything but white on white

We had dinner with Coach Kravitz Friday night and asked him about the uniforms.  Actually Mutt told him the "white on white sucks"!!  He told us that the seniors are the ones who pick the uniforms.  So, now we know who picked them, so now can we please stop with the discussions about the uniforms??

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Agree with Shoop.  The uniforms before this year were HORRIBLE.  The letter and numbers actually look rubber and not stitched on.  Is that correct?  

The subtle changes they've made this year are good.  There still need to be some changes to give give us some sort of distinguishing look.  Our program is less than 10 years old!  Who are we trying to kid by teling ourselves we're going for the "classic" look.  To me it's the "easy way out" look.  Or the "lack of imagination look".  USF is part of the NEW breed of college football.  Let's look like it.

I would still like to see something similiar to the prototype that started this thread.  And no the helmets don't look too much like UM or Auburn.  If that's the case then our current helmets look too much like UCF, ND, Pitt, Army, etc etc.  

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

But I, and most sports fans, prefer traditional to modern. The 1970s Houston Astros uniforms were once "modern."

most sports fans? what do you have to back that up?

I would still like to see something similiar to the prototype that started this thread.  And no the helmets don't look too much like UM or Auburn.

actually I didn't say they looked too much like auburn, I said that the look reminded me of auburn and that after looking at the pic closer I noticed why. ie...the auburn guy in the background giving away that he must have just colored over the auburn uniform.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

most sports fans? what do you have to back that up?

Well, I could point to an ESPN2 poll, in which classic uniforms won pretty decisively over new ones: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/bracket/bestuniform/round5.html

Appropriately enough, the only "modern" look that did well, the pukey Denver Broncos, was found to be the result of ballot box stuffing. See http://espn.go.com/page2/s/hruby/031021.html

GQ's list of the best and worst almost exclusively puts classic looks in the best category: http://sev.prnewswire.com/magazines/20041018/NYM19918102004-1.html

Plenty of teams have scrapped "modern" looks to go back to "old", to the delight of fans: NY Islanders (remember the "Groton sea captain"?), SA Spurs, Phillies, NJ Nets, NY Jets, NY Giants, Detroit Pistons are a few that come to mind. The list of teams who had the good sense not to change in the first place is much longer.

Go to fan boards for any team in any sport, and ask their fan base if they want to keep the current look or change. If the team has any history, fan base, or success, the majority will not want to change the look. Hell, go to the Pitt board where most of their fans want to bring back the "script Pitt" helmets of days gone by.

So I'll stand by my assertion.