• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Usf is a G5 school

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, MikeG said:

I'd rather not drop any sports - but feel we budget far too much money for our coaches salaries. Teams on our level use younger, newer, and cheaper coaches. Jobs in our conference are used by coaches as a stepping stone-- not a retirement plan. Whatever we are paying CCS right now is not worth it. Hopefully we turn that around soon and the next coach understands that our budget is not P5 level. We can incentivize it making it easy for them to jump to a new place. I'd like us to avoid the whole "lock the coach down" approach unless attendance can support raises.

Excellent point. You pay more for retreads and get little return. Give me a coach who is hungry and wants to win in order to move up to a P5 program. When that happens we know we are winning. Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons why ucf is blasting us right now. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Excellent point. You pay more for retreads and get little return. Give me a coach who is hungry and wants to win in order to move up to a P5 program. When that happens we know we are winning. Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons why ucf is blasting us right now. 

and the shame in that is we were in the same mindset with hiring CWT then switched gears to get the retread hire. We need to be more consistent. I wish we would have passed on CCS and looked for the next young head coach. Some programs have leveraged that retread approach but they were doing it to put themselves on the map (talking about FAU here hiring Howard Schnellenberger (sp) specifically- and more recently Lane Kiffin). That approach works if you have donors who are loaded. Even CJL was making less than 100K a yer when he started out. I'd like to see our head coach position making at most 1.5 million a year (with built in performance incentives) - even if that isn't keeping pace with the rest of the AAC. Or use some metric from the rest of our conference mates in what they pay their HC and try to be somewhere close to the average. Salaries these days are insanely high for FBS college football coaches so for all I know-- we are already paying the average for CCS. But I sort of doubt that.

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, MikeG said:

and the shame in that is we were in the same mindset with hiring CWT then switched gears to get the retread hire. We need to be more consistent. I wish we would have passed on CCS and looked for the next young head coach. Some programs have leveraged that retread approach but they were doing it to put themselves on the map (talking about FAU here hiring Howard Schnellenberger (sp) specifically- and more recently Lane Kiffin). That approach works if you have donors who are loaded. Even CJL was making less than 100K a yer when he started out. I'd like to see our head coach position making at most 1.5 million a year (with built in performance incentives) - even if that isn't keeping pace with the rest of the AAC. Or use some metric from the rest of our conference mates in what they pay their HC and try to be somewhere close to the average. Salaries these days are insanely high for FBS college football coaches so for all I know-- we are already paying the average for CCS. But I sort of doubt that.

And that's why this program is where it is. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

USF since Leavitt has only hired former head coaches.

Holtz ECU

Taggart WKU

Strong UL, Texas

UCF has hired coordinators who lead top ranked offenses. 

Oregon OC 

Mizzou OC

I like the approach of not making lateral step backwards hires. 

Either Coordinators stepping up to Head Coach, or Head Coach of smaller program to USF (like Taggart From WKU and Holtz from ECU at the time). 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

7 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

And that's why this program is where it is. 

We are acting like we are at Skip Holtz levels is failure and we are far from that. CSS went 10-2 during first season. Last year went 7-6 and this year may do similar but that is far from going 2-10 or 4-8 like the previous coaching staffs. I have faith in MK so I’m not panicking yet 

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

We are acting like we are at Skip Holtz levels is failure and we are far from that. CSS went 10-2 during first season. Last year went 7-6 and this year may do similar but that is far from going 2-10 or 4-8 like the previous coaching staffs. I have faith in MK so I’m not panicking yet 

I think its the fact that last year we digressed from previous year and during the season, along with the beginning of this year that have people concerned.

Im not panicking yet but at this point need to start seeing improvement not digression.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

40 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I think its the fact that last year we digressed from previous year and during the season, along with the beginning of this year that have people concerned.

Im not panicking yet but at this point need to start seeing improvement not digression.

The team is regressing, we are poorly prepared week in and week out, we can mask some of this with athletes however the chickens will come home to roost,  we can’t hold UCF’s jock right now. I am past panicked, I am just disappointed, which is worse,  know too much about football to feel any differently, need a KB miracle.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

The team is regressing, we are poorly prepared week in and week out, we can mask some of this with athletes however the chickens will come home to roost,  we can’t hold UCF’s jock right now. I am past panicked, I am just disappointed, which is worse,  know too much about football to feel any differently, need a KB miracle.

Keep the faith! Miracles do happen! Seriously, I think we are just starting to finally see the resurrection of USF. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

5 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Keep the faith! Miracles do happen! Seriously, I think we are just starting to finally see the resurrection of USF. 

I hope you are right-- records aside, my eyes are telling me a different story about this team and coaching staff, last game results/performance not withstanding. Replacing Barnett was a move in the right direction. McCloud might repeat the type of offensive turnaround that his predecessors like Flowers and Grothe were able to accomplish. I would love to see CCS finish this year with a great record and have some other program "steal" him from us.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

It's funny how everything falls on the staff and none on inferior talent for depth purposes. If you couldn't see players like Sawtelle, Roberts, Attebury, Norman and Sanders are not G5 talent as starters then you are not good at scouting.

I am hoping at least Hopple gets a shot next week. If Waller is better on Offense then stick him at right guard. He looked like an accountant playing nose. Didn't look like he wanted to dominate.

Mims is a backup talent wise and a hair better than Sawtelle. Boyles and Greer have been unimpressive. I would like to see Bellamy play more. Smoke Davis needs more PT along with Burnett. 

• Me no likey 1