• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Too Early to Talk March Madness...but What The Hell

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,776
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

The nearest place for us to play the first and second round games is Greensboro North Carolina or St. Louis. If we made it to the sweet 16 we would be playing in Houston, Indianapolis, or New York 

Im partial to them being West Coast road warriors and heading to Sacramento for the first weekend and LA for the second weekend.

I also noticed the Spokane games are hosted by University of Idaho (a couple hour drive south of Spokane), presumably so Gonzaga can play there in Rounds 1 and 2, maybe FGCU should host the next time there are tourney games in Tampa...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

8 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

And, IIRC, people were questioning the fact that we had to pay to get into the tournament. Or pay by the game maybe. In either case it was well worth the investment.

It was pay by the game along with a cut of the gate or something like that. It turned out great but some of the apprehension was based on getting invited to a pay for play tournament. NIT and NCAA are money makers with TV contracts and the general prestige that the CBI lacks. My take was money well spent even if only to extend the season and the practice time for the team- never really expecting they would win the entire thing.

No doubt that success will go straight to some fans heads and they demand things that are overboard. I think this is a result of video game thinking. Well-- we got past level 4 so that is done and we should go much farther this time. The fact that you have to earn all those wins from the previous year seems to get glossed over. "Oh-- we beat that team last year so I expect us to beat them again and others we lost to last season". Unlike a video game -- the other teams are not static and also improve/change from year to year. It is just a theory I have about fans behavior and works in conjunction with the message board phenomenon of the impact of others positive comments bringing the overall board thinking to higher and higher expectations. 

4 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

The nearest place for us to play the first and second round games is Greensboro North Carolina or St. Louis. If we made it to the sweet 16 we would be playing in Houston, Indianapolis, or New York 

don't forget the play in game.

I appreciate the interesting information but are we getting a little LOT ahead of ourselves talking about the locations of the sweet sixteen round?

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

11 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

And, IIRC, people were questioning the fact that we had to pay to get into the tournament. Or pay by the game maybe. In either case it was well worth the investment.

I questioned it big time. Turned out to be worth while since we made a massive first round come back and won the tourney.

Guest Jonesy Bull
6 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I questioned it big time. Turned out to be worth while since we made a massive first round come back and won the tourney.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20.  If we hadnt made that huge comeback in the 1st game, you would have been right to question it....but alas the gamble paid off!  I thought it was worth it being a young up and coming team.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

21 hours ago, psteazy said:

wit it! someone want to give me the corporate rundown of how CBA win bumped recruiting? 

I am happy they did a pay for play and believe the experience was a benefit to the program however winning that tournament did not create a buzz due to the relative obscurity of this tournament.  To put it into perspective, all 3 tournaments are a form of dancing but the venues vary in importance.

An example is the big dance is similar to a ball room dance, wife dressed to the nines, you are wearing a tux, pearls, champagne,  limos etc.. the NIT is similar to you slamming well drinks and grinding on a skank to “just trying to get a nut so move that butt to the dance floor” at some seedy night club.  The CBI is more like throwing down a piece of cardboard on the corner of MLK and Nebraska and doing the worm and maybe even the pop and lock to some local rap music.   Basically they are all dances but some venues are more prestigious and elegant than others.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Yeah hindsight is 20/20.  If we hadnt made that huge comeback in the 1st game, you would have been right to question it....but alas the gamble paid off!  I thought it was worth it being a young up and coming team.

I recall the consensus opinion being that the costs were worth it just for having all the extra practices alone even if we went out after one game.

Each game cost USF more money but also gave us more practice time. It was paying to extend the season, get experience, and to get a leg up on all those teams that ended their seasons. USF was playing well past the time many that made the NCAA were out.

Edited by MikeG

Guest Jonesy Bull

Yep, and this was the first time we played into April, and one of only 3 or 4 teams to win their final game.   Ended up being invaluable experience that bodes well for the future.

I remember many thought we were too worn out and beat up and it wasnt worth playing in that tourney.  It did seem that way down the stretch.

Again hindsight is 20/20.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

15 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s amazing what winning that small tournament did for this team. The record is strong that past CBI winners reach the dance within the next two years. 

If nothing else, the extra tourney was more playing time against quality opponents and more practice time. Those are never bad things.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

12 hours ago, puc86 said:

Plenty of the best NCAA teams are only together for one year.

The best NCAA teams are either a) getting one and done players or b) have a core together for multiple years and the system, players, coaching, etc. gel and they make a run. We're not going to be in the first category any time soon, so our success is going to be more akin to Bucknell or Murray State. Where our older guys have developed and maybe a younger guy or two gets added to the mix to push us over the top. Some of the older guys graduate and we hopefully repeat the process with the younger ones and make another NCAA run a couple years later.

Best teams are one year? Depends on your metric. If you call the teams who finish in the top 25 in football the "best" teams for the season, give or take, 25/130 is the same percentage of football teams as 68/351. If you're saying the "best" teams are the ones who make it to the Sweet 16 or higher, yeah, those are probably your one and done (two and done) teams with a much higher degree of turnover.

Edited by JTrue