• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So I open the local paper...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Miami and TCU are the best examples of teams in those types of metropolitan areas who had the support and made the move to the P5. 

So because all other things are pretty much equal with UM and TCU, we are where we are solely because of the failure of our athletic department ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

TCU from C-USA to MWC to Big12 in about 13 years....whatever it is we didn't/don't have it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

TCU from C-USA to MWC to Big12 in about 13 years....whatever it is we didn't/don't have it.

You forgot the 10 minutes they were in the Big East.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

Tradition...TCU has been playing football for 123 years and they have oil money. We’ve been playing 22 years and have auto insurance money. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,845
  • Days Won:  67

16 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So because all other things are pretty much equal with UM and TCU, we are where we are solely because of the failure of our athletic department ...

7 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I wouldn't say solely but I think if there is any single group that can have the greatest impact on community involvement in a university's sports programs it's the athletic department.

TCU is a private institution with a boatload of cash that played in a big time conference for years (SWC) before we dreamed of a team.  Miami won 4 National Titles before we even fielded a team as well.  You can’t compare us to them, we are more comparable to FIU, Central Comm college, FAU, Georgia State etc.. which has us placed about where we should be.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I wouldn't say solely but I think if there is any single group that can have the greatest impact on community involvement in a university's sports programs it's the athletic department.

The single group that has the greatest impact on community involvement is the community .... the community decided we were cool when we were at the big boy's table but not so much now.

5 hours ago, Friscobull said:

TCU is a private institution with a boatload of cash that played in a big time conference for years (SWC) before we dreamed of a team.  Miami won 4 National Titles before we even fielded a team as well.  You can’t compare us to them, we are more comparable to FIU, Central Comm college, FAU, Georgia State etc.. which has us placed about where we should be.

In this conversation, talking about community support, I think you even have to throw CCC out of there. They are in a glorified college town because of the dearth of major sports options ....... one mediocre basketball team.

11 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I think this proves that they aren't alot of good comparisons. Anyone who was us, has moved up either decades ago or most recently.

Pick any city with 3 of the big 4 professional sports and tell me what football universities exist in those cities where there is a competition for entertainment dollars - the majority of them are P5 schools. Just because it may take time doesn't mean that we should use that argument to lower the bar.

The bottom line is we need to be ready for 2025 when the landscape changes again.

Nobody who is 'us' has moved up recently. Frisco listed the "us's" and nobody has moved up ...

Although nobody really knows what "ready" will mean then unless a criteria from the P5's is published, I agree ...

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I guess I mean as ready as we can be.

By be ready you mean....get the IPF built, build a culture of winning, get butts in the seats, get the corporate community more involved, use our VPA influence to lobby the P5 decision makers.

****, MR. Kelly has his work cut out for him.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

Houston and Temple come to mind as similars.  I'd probably include ucf in there as well because Orlando is more than a college town, it's projected to be bigger than Tampa in our lifetime.  San Diego State may be in that group as well, especially if you look past just football.