• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Competition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

26 minutes ago, Bullgrad84 said:

Dude if you look at his film from VSU and JU he runs a pro with a spread and has to have a dual threat QB. Have you looked at our talent? We’re slow and our recruiting here has sucked the past two years. His offense requires speed and playmakers. Which we obviously don’t have here. Why do you think he moved Ford to receiver? 

His QBs yds per game are not markedly different than BBs and would not be described as dual threat by any stretch of the imagination. I have not watched tons of VSU game film but the way he describes it, the stats for the offense and the film I have seen have nothing to do with a dual threat QB.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/2018-12-15/d2-football-ferris-st-valdosta-state-highlights

17 minutes ago, Bullgrad84 said:

From what players are saying Blake hasn’t been his favorite. But how do you bench a 5 star senior QB that is CCS big recruit. CCS makes all the final decisions. Hearing that CKB wanted to start Mccloud after halftime. We saw what happened with that. 

I would like to see some evidence of this.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,221
  • Days Won:  25

13 minutes ago, puc86 said:

His QBs yds per game are not markedly different than BBs and would not be described as dual threat by any stretch of the imagination. I have not watched tons of VSU game film but the way he describes it, the stats for the offense and the film I have seen have nothing to do with a dual threat QB.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/2018-12-15/d2-football-ferris-st-valdosta-state-highlights

I have zero evidence besides the eye test and any one who watches football can see McCloud outplayed Blake considerably. I know you agree Puc, but you are right that there is no evidence that BB is not favored by KB.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

20 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Out of curiosity, how many yards/carries is your threshold for being a dual-threat QB? There seems to be some wildly different definitions of that term on here.

Just now, TheGreatOutlaw said:

I have zero evidence besides the eye test and any one who watches football can see McCloud outplayed Blake considerably. I know you agree Puc, but you are right that there is no evidence that BB is not favored by KB.

I absolutely agree that we look better with McCloud I just think McCloud would look even better with a OC that appreciated his abilities and ran an offense that highlighted those abilities and has worked historically for our team. 

If KB loves dual threat QBs and that's the secret sauce to standing in the pocket someone forgot to tell KB because he has never said a word about it, recruited to fill it or ran plays that highlighted it to date. 

image.png.40842358ae580e7dab77a858b87cfcfe.png

image.png

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,221
  • Days Won:  25

I am with you we need a spread offense with a choice to the qb to roll out and make space or run. We have a pro/spread hybrid which I do not know how to evaluate because we scored 1 TD in 8 quarters.

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Out of curiosity, how many yards/carries is your threshold for being a dual-threat QB? There seems to be some wildly different definitions of that term on here.

Somewhere near 100 yds a game Wells averaged 50, BB 30 something and Flowers was always around 100 sometimes over sometimes just under. When I have watched video of the VSU offense it just looks like there is a lot of standing in the pocket, if the kid is some dynamic rusher it doesn't seem captured by highlight films and I don't think you can find a highlight film of Flowers that doesn't have a dynamic run or impossible scramble. 

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Somewhere near 100 yds a game Wells averaged 50, BB 30 something and Flowers was always around 100 sometimes over sometimes just under. When I have watched video of the VSU offense it just looks like there is a lot of standing in the pocket, if the kid is some dynamic rusher it doesn't seem captured by highlight films and I don't think you can find a highlight film of Flowers that doesn't have a dynamic run or impossible scramble. 

So Michael Vick, BJ Daniels, McKenzie Milton, Robert Griffin, Tim Tebow...all are drop back/pro style QBs for you?

For me, I don't even know if I ever though about the stats, it was more of an eye test. Whether I thought the guy had legs enough to be worth caring about if he took off running or if it was a legit way to extend a drive, play. All of these guys fit that bill for me but fall well short of 1000 yards a game or anything close to it. I had no idea Vick ran so little compared to my memory. And I would have 100% said Milton went for over 1000 yards.

Edited by JTrue

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

So Michael Vick, BJ Daniels, McKenzie Milton, Robert Griffin, Tim Tebow...all are drop back/pro style QBs for you?

Sure. Can you show me a clip or two of kB utilizing pro styles similar to even these pro style QBs? Most anything I have seen show pretty good pockets with pretty open passing lanes. One of the reasons I’m probably confused is because KB says he runs a prostyle but he is probably confused because he also says he scores fast.

11 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Sure. Can you show me a clip or two of kB utilizing pro styles similar to even these pro style QBs? Most anything I have seen show pretty good pockets with pretty open passing lanes. One of the reasons I’m probably confused is because KB says he runs a prostyle but he is probably confused because he also says he scores fast.

Yes? I don't know what you're asking. If you think those guys are pro-style QBs, than you are absolutely right that KB needs/wants/demands a pro-style QB. 

And I'm absolutely positive that for that last decade of your life, you'd have never called Tim Tebow a pro-style QB, but you're going to ride or die with that label as of 11 minutes ago.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  157
  • Days Won:  1

We don't need "pro style" or power football. What we need is lethal simplicity.