• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Latest 2020 US News College Rankings

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

New rankings are out. USF continues to show very well! Nice to see the academics side continue to shine and make us proud. FSU also had a great showing this year with a large jump in the rankings. I haven't seen much published yet by way of press releases other than FSU, but I can't wait to see how we publish / market the large strides we continue to make. 

LINK

2020 rankings:

National

#34 UF 
#57 FSU
#104 USF
#166 UCF
#218 FIU
#281 FAU

Public

#7 UF
#18 FSU
#44 USF
#79 UCF
#105 FIU
#140 FAU

2019 rankings for comparison:

National

#35 UF
#70 FSU
#124 USF
#165 UCF
#187 FIU
#230-301 FAU

Public

#8 UF
#26 FSU
#58 USF
#87 UCF
#100 FIU
NR FAU

One thing that I did see published is the following from the Miami Herald which might explain some large changes positive or negative:

"Words of caution: Be careful comparing this year’s rankings to those of last year.

If your school’s rankings changed significantly, it may be because the competitive pool got a little bigger this year. About 13% of ranked schools moved into different categories this year, so a university ranked previously as a regional university may now be a national university.

U.S. News and World Report explained in a press release that that’s because of the “2018 update” from the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, which U.S. News has used since the first Best Colleges rankings in 1983 to compare schools with similar missions.

Nova Southeastern University contacted the Miami Herald to point out that while it ranked 191st last year among 300 ranked universities, it was ranked 246th this year out of 400 universities. Though the ranking dropped, its position improved overall."

Regardless - pretty awesome!

Edited by Drewski
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487

What is UCF doing wrong? They were making strides, but have started to stagnate over the past few years. Is it quantity over quality?

It could be more to do with the last part of my post regarding the competitive pool shifting, rather than anything they are doing wrong per se. As noted in the above, while the number ranking didn't change significantly, their overall position still increased given the larger number of universities in the pool from last year. 

Regardless, still awesome to see our continued jump despite those same factors. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

42 minutes ago, Drewski said:

It could be more to do with the last part of my post regarding the competitive pool shifting, rather than anything they are doing wrong per se. As noted in the above, while the number ranking didn't change significantly, their overall position still increased given the larger number of universities in the pool from last year. 

Regardless, still awesome to see our continued jump despite those same factors. 

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. At least we're bearing UCF at something.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

USF's press release states that in just 4 years we have gone from #88 to #44....simply incredible. With the addition of the Downtown Medical School, the continued progress in research, and the emergence of the pharmaceutical program, the sky is the limit for USF. I could see us being a top 25 Public University by 2030. 

image.png.6bb596ca5ea94be7d35e7c88627f9d89.png

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

This yahoo article details some other good notes. #9 in social mobility, and also now ranked higher than some AAU schools. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/university-south-florida-americas-fastest-120000308.html

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

I don’t understand why FSU is so high on the list. Honestly I’d place them behind UCF. Is it simply because they have a law school? I’ll give them that they do have some top behavioral science / psychology research. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

29 minutes ago, Gismo said:

I don’t understand why FSU is so high on the list. Honestly I’d place them behind UCF. Is it simply because they have a law school? I’ll give them that they do have some top behavioral science / psychology research. 

They were hovering around the low 100s previously. Whatever was done plus their own work massively benefited them. It really doesn't matter as I suspect we will catch them within a decade. They do have a more traditional (read: less low risk) student population. I personally don't buy that they're as good academically as Miami. 

One thing I wonder going forward is how the upcoming consolidation of campuses will impact our rankings / progress. In other words, are these rankings inclusive of the entire system already such that it will have no impact? Or when consolidation happens, are we going to drop because now additional campuses are being baked in that have less favorable metrics?

I am not knowledgeable about this whatsoever, but am genuinely curious what impact, if any, this will have on this trajectory. 

Maybe someone here with better knowledge can enlighten us?