• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF, TSA, TPD to Fans: Stay off the field...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,467
  • Days Won:  13

From the Tampa Tribune:

USF Game Spectators Will Have Reminders

Published: Oct 5, 2005

TAMPA - Spectators attending upcoming University of South Florida football games at Raymond James Stadium will face a host of reminders that they are not allowed to trespass onto the playing field, officials said Tuesday.

People at the Oct. 22 homecoming game against the University of West Virginia will receive a flier upon entering the stadium warning them not to go on the field for safety reasons, said Tom Veit, USF's associate athletic director for external affairs. An announcement also will be made over the public-address system.

The measures were enacted after Tampa police and Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies arrested seven people after USF's Sept. 24 Big East win. The Tampa Sports Authority says it has banned spectators from the playing field because of the steep drop from the seats to the field and the danger of injuries or death if the goal posts are pulled down.

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGB0RKU3FEE.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the St. Petersburg Times:

USF fans warned to stay off field

The university hopes doing more to get the word out will prevent the problems experienced Sept. 24.

By AMBER MOBLEY

Published October 5, 2005

TAMPA - The message is still the same: No fans allowed on the field.

University of South Florida football fans who run onto the field after a game - no matter how thrilling the victory - will be met with the same security enforcement that met exuberant fans at the USF-Louisville football game two weeks ago: take-downs, Tasers and handcuffs.

Authorities decided Tuesday not to change that, but USF hopes to prevent problems by doing more to let fans know the rules at Raymond James Stadium.

When some fans rushed the field following the Bulls' historic victory against Louisville on Sept. 24, security officers took many to the ground. Five were arrested, and at least one person was shocked with a Taser.

Some spectators thought officers used excessive force. Although officials said they received no complaints of police brutality after the game, the agencies involved met Tuesday to discuss operations and communication with the students.

The agencies - USF, Tampa Sports Authority, Tampa Police Department, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office and Florida Highway Patrol - agreed that the policy should remain the same for the safety of the fans. But USF plans to distribute fliers, display video board announcements and work with different school groups such as alumni associations and student government to spread the word: No fans allowed on the field.

Signs posted at the ends of rows and officers on the field telling fans to stay put didn't work last time, but reinforcing the communication should do the trick, said Tom Viet, USF's associate director for external affairs.

"I think there was some miscommunication with the fans," Viet said. "The signs were hard to see, and not everybody could hear the officers.

"I don't think our fans were trying to do anything mean-spirited. With the extra effort to give them information, I think they'll respond."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/05/Tampabay/USF_fans_warned_to_st.shtml

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

WE NEED OUR OWN STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

NO WE DON'T!!!!

STAY OFF THE **** FIELD!!!!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

YES WE DO!!!!!!

STAY OFF THE **** FIELD!!!!  ;)

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

One day, everyone will see the light.............. :-/

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I would assume that there really aren't that many places that allow you to go onto the field. I know for sure that they do not allow anyone on the field at Doak Campbell stadium.

Plus IMO I think that our goal should be to win so much at home, that it makes it a non event when we do beat a ranked opponent.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

WE NEED OUR OWN STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pony up the $100 million or so and we'll have one.

Jewbull Stadium, it has a nice ring to it.   ;)

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642

NO WE DON'T!!!!

STAY OFF THE **** FIELD!!!!

you must be one of those alumni

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

We received those flyers in 2003.  I think fans rushed 3 times (which wasn't necessary)...so that means that those didn't work for 2...