• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does Ford return to RB next week?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Cronk is just showing no burst, not much of anything.

image.png

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I would start Ford at running back and McCloud at QB.  Enables more options on offense and alleviates the pressure on the offensive line. Plus it builds for the future

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

5 minutes ago, Blackice12 said:

I would start Ford at running back and McCloud at QB.  Enables more options on offense and alleviates the pressure on the offensive line. Plus it builds for the future

Can't argue with the personnel moves. Maybe move King to OC and let Bell coach special teams. 

Strong's tenure is now historically bad. 

I was probably disheartened during the beginning of Taggart's third year, but probably not as deeply as this. 

We went from setting a record for scoring 30+ points per gam just 2 years ago to now averaging 5pts per game. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Nope, let the offense get acclimated to McCloud and see what happens. Ford should kill in the slot now that we have a QB that is capable if going through his progressions 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Cronk has taken a step back but our running game is pathetic on each and every level. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

Ford was back there at RB for some plays in the GT game. I can see them going that route.

As much as we all hated seeing that half back dive play last year, it was a perfect play for Cronkrite imo. It let's him hit the line fast and if he escapes the initial line and LB pressure, he would be hauling arse down the middle of the field. Now it wasn't like it worked every time-- and often it would all of us grown with displeasure. Then suddenly he would be through the hole and heading toward the end zone.

Now he seems to be relegated to an after thought, never getting his legs under him with enough carries to build up any steam. That is partially the new offense and also because the runs are never up the gut where they seemed much more effective. Seems like he always ends up going off tackle or running along the line instead of through it-- and he is not powerful at all running that way.

I could be wrong on that. He did seem much less productive towards the end of last season after he hit about 900 yards rushing. That did coincide with Ford emerging as the main rush threat.

If we start McCloud, get the offense operating somewhat productively from a passing standpoint, and actual TRY TO RUN with some goal towards balance-- these things will certainly help the overall running game. I want to believe Ford can work as both a running back or a slot receiver. He does get attention even as a decoy so more of him on the field is better. I don't want to give up on Cronkrite but then again-- I only see him floundering in our games and can't tell if that is the same in practice. 

The key to this offense working is using a quarterback who can see the field -- which I felt McCloud was doing very well-- and was impressed with his accurate throws to very wide open guys. That seems to be BBs main problem - locking on one receiver and telegraphing to the defense where to focus the coverage-- and he doesn't care, he still throws into tight or double and even triple coverage - leaving some other guys wide open standing there going "What are you doing?". You never even see Blake try a pump fake or look off any coverage. Pretty frustrating-- great arm, no game sense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

I wouldn't yet, be I would give him more reps...there is a rb imo that nobody has heard of yet Joyner that could be a good back in that rotation...

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Cronk has taken a step back but our running game is pathetic on each and every level. 

Does seem like it. He’s dancing and not bursting.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Cronkite is a Florida transfer.

• Upvote 2