• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4 Reasons Why USF Can Beat GT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

TAMPA — We’re not about to try to explain away an inexplicable performance. USF’s dreadful exhibition in its 49-0 loss to Wisconsin in its season opener Friday transcends a bad throw here or a botched assignment there.

We’re talking a seven-touchdown differential.

“We knew we had to play exceptional to go beat this team,” Bulls coach Charlie Strong said.

Instead of a perfect effort by the Bulls against the nationally ranked Badgers, the nation saw a putrid one ESPN. Still, the stench shouldn’t linger. The debacle represented an imperfect storm of sorts: a convergence of bad execution, bad matchup and bad luck.

Here are four reasons to see the Bulls rebounding — perhaps in a big way — Saturday at Georgia Tech.

1. Johnny Ford returns

PMTVLA3EVNC73KLR7XOU544PGQ.JPG
USF slot receiver Johnny Ford (20) stands on the sidelines during the game against Wisconsin on Friday, Aug. 30, 2019 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. [ALLIE GOULDING | Times] [ALLIE GOULDING | Times]

Though USF still hasn’t said why the 5-foot-5 slot receiver was sidelined for the Wisconsin game, Strong has said Ford will return Saturday.

Believed to be the key component in new coordinator Kerwin Bell’s offense (one in which diminutive, dynamic playmakers historically have flourished), Ford’s absence limited the options in Bell’s playbook.

“Johnny missing the game was big for us,” Bell said Wednesday. “We had a lot of stuff on him to handle some of (Wisconsin’s) man coverages. He’s a great man-beater for us, and with him being out, it really put a lot of extra emphasis on other guys.”

Would the sophomore have made a 49-point difference? No. But imagine the early momentum USF might have seized with Ford bursting for big yardage on a jet sweep or a swing pass.

2. The receivers might catch on this time

GKOONKRMMVAULABKEI6T7G3FXU.JPG
USF wide receiver Jernard Phillips (15) mishandles a throw from quarterback Blake Barnett (11) during the first quarter against Wisconsin on Friday, Aug. 30, 2019 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. [ALLIE GOULDING | Times] [ALLIE GOULDING | Times]

After watching Wisconsin drive for a touchdown in eight plays in Friday’s opening drive, USF appeared poised to respond. Blake Barnett’s first throw, an out route to Randall St. Felix, went for 8 yards. Two plays later, Jordan Cronkrite churned forward for a 2-yard gain and a first down.

Then, Jernard Phillips dropped a Barnett pass near his sideline that would’ve picked up 20 yards. Barnett’s next throw, a 35-yard strike to Eddie McDoom, also was dropped.

“Those two drops were big,” Bell said. “You’re probably at midfield or beyond in the first two drives, now you gain momentum. That one explosive play on both of those would help you finish a drive and score some points.”

Soon thereafter, Barnett was rolling out for his life.

“Once (Wisconsin) settled in man (coverage), they just said, ‘Hey, we’re playing some man coverage. Let’s see if you can beat us,’ ” Bell said. “They got the lead, and then it got even tougher. Every series we went back out there, it got tougher and tougher.”

3. Georgia Tech is no Wisconsin

Given the Bulls’ chronic struggles against the run in 2018 and that they were unveiling a new offense (we’re still awaiting that unveiling), USF would’ve been far better suited opening against a Wofford or Western Carolina.

“We had done some things early in preseason camp,” Bell said, “but we hadn’t gone against the kind of team we were going against defensively.”

Fortunately for the Bulls, Georgia Tech is in major transition under new coach Geoff Collins.

The Yellow Jackets (0-1), changing from former coach Paul Johnson’s patented flexbone option, used three quarterbacks in a 52-14 loss at Clemson a week ago today. They surrendered 411 rushing yards to the Tigers, though their pass coverage was sound.

RELATED: Five things to know about Georgia Tech

Kerwin Bell: “I’m the OC, so I take all the blame.” ⁦@USFFootball⁩ pic.twitter.com/bxJo73nv2s

— Joey Knight (@TBTimes_Bulls) September 4, 2019

4. Things can’t get worse, right?

One sports adage is that teams often make their greatest improvement from Game 1 to Game 2. The coaches now have tape against a live, quality opponent to assess, which can be far more beneficial than breaking down practice tape. Coaches also likely have a better idea of which personnel gives them the best chance for success going forward.

“I will say that I still have confidence and I believe in this football team,” Strong said. “And I know we’re going to go take care of our business.”

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,194
  • Days Won:  25

I will say that I still have confidence and I believe in this football team,” Strong said. “And I know we’re going to go take care of our business.”

Any word on whether the will be prepared or ready to execute?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  330
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

I will say that I still have confidence and I believe in this football team,” Strong said. “And I know we’re going to go take care of our business.”

Any word on whether the will be prepared or ready to execute?

He's saving that excuse for post-game.. 🤨

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

Game 1 was just a disaster in general.

Missed fg, wide open drops, poor tackling and no type of adjustments we made after the half.

Hopefully they learn quick and right the ship.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Great seeing a coach step up...

7 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Kerwin Bell: “I’m the OC, so I take all the blame.” ⁦@USFFootball⁩ pic.twitter.com/bxJo73nv2s

— Joey Knight (@TBTimes_Bulls) September 4, 2019

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  810
  • Days Won:  1

Makes me wonder who made the call on Ford.  Seems Bell was depending upon him.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We better be ready you, can bet those kids remember last year.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756

So 1 and 2 are both basically Ford? Why not just say three reasons? Also #3 doesn’t mean much. So weren’t not play Alabama either doesn’t mean GT won’t be at least decent. Lastly #4 sets a really low bar. We all know basically anything would be an improvement, but crossing the 50 and making a field is no reason for confetti and a parade. Quick somebody write a better article that will imbue our fans base with hope, happiness, and all that jazz

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799

2 hours ago, 94 Bull said:

Makes me wonder who made the call on Ford.  Seems Bell was depending upon him.

Joey said even Strong did not know until night before. I don’t know who is telling the truth anymore.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756

2 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Joey said even Strong did not know until night before. I don’t know who is telling the truth anymore.

200.gif