• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

LOL I'm the only cheerleader who comes on these boards....it's fine, I was just playing around.  Their Sunsations had some great moves with some Miami flavor, but I think it's important to note that it is not the goal of all schools to have that type of dancing.  You won't see our Sundolls or cheerleaders bumping and grinding on the field, just as you won't see it from LSU's Golden Girls, UF's Dazzlers, Louisville's Lady Birds, Tennessee's dance/cheer squads or the ones from Penn State...you also won't see that from Bucs cheerleaders.  I personally think that stuff works well for schools like FAMU because it suits the hip-hop urban flavor of the band and the demographics of the school, but I don't necessarily think that same style would fly well in the Big East, just as you won't find it in the SEC or Big 10.  As far as those conferences are concerned, they want to project a wholesome all-American look from cheerleaders and dance teams.

Trust me, Jenna, we're glad you're here sharing your own perspective on the Buls as well as educating us on the spirit squads... y'all do a great job and work hard at it... The fans may not tell you often enough, but it IS appreciated.

Besides, UM has that "thug" image already (South Beach, rap videos, 2 Live Crew, etc)... their girls have to play down to that level...

For me, I'd rather stick with the traditional college cheer and dance routines... leave the "bumping and grinding" for Ybor.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  662
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks Jim...I appreciate it very much.  We love our fans, especially the "die-hards" who have been coming to the games since day 1, the ones who yell with us when we cheer and make the great signs! Even though we're on the field, we DEFINITELY notice it.  I swear some of my teammates were almost in tears when the wave made it around 6 times during the Louisville game, just bc it was so phenomenal for us to see such a strong crowd in support of the team!

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

"Hoochies'??   :-/

Short for "Hoochy Mama's".

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433

You would think that all this would be settled at "Band Camp". :)

Miami's cheerleaders and dancers....yes they can dance well.

Also, I think we have the 5 best 'flag guys' in America...bar none.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  662

hehe just to be politically correct...our cheerleaders go to UCA CHEER camp....also, the people with the flags would be cheerleaders as well (they hate the term 'flag guys') ....sorry, had to do it!

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

Miami's mics aren't an innovative way to let the visiting side hear better - they are just there to compensate:

http://zioshow.com/view.php?id=2737&area=5

Also - it is has been my experience that mic'ing pep bands is not a common practice.  30 people making music indoors isn't really much harder than 200 outside in a gigantic stadium.  Although most of the times I have seen other bands were at conference/NCAA tournaments - so I'm not sure if some of those programs do things differently at their home arenas (From what I heard there, they wouldn't have needed to)

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Miami's mics aren't an innovative way to let the visiting side hear better - they are just there to compensate:

http://zioshow.com/view.php?id=2737&area=5

Also - it is has been my experience that mic'ing pep bands is not a common practice.  30 people making music indoors isn't really much harder than 200 outside in a gigantic stadium.  Although most of the times I have seen other bands were at conference/NCAA tournaments - so I'm not sure if some of those programs do things differently at their home arenas (From what I heard there, they wouldn't have needed to)

Ah, that explains it. Good link.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Their band was definitely mic'ed on purpose.  I've never seen that done.

AND they put HOT in the upper deck - couldn't even hear them from under the overhang.

FYI....It was USF that put your Band in the UPPER DECK...not Miami.

USF was free to distribute their tickets almost anyway they want....

Most of all the visiting Bands to the Orange Bowl are usually placed in the visiting sections close to the 10-20 yd line...

USF was given "x" amount of tickets...you are free to use them anyway you want.

Can't recall ever seeing a visiting band in the UPPER DECK at the OB...(or even any college stadium come to think of it).

KL

PS. Of course...I could be wrong...but if I am...there is always a first...(like Bands in the Upper Deck).

FYI....Y'all have a VERY good band...especially one that's only a few years old. Your Band will have a NICE future..and I hope they make the changes they've promised at RJS next year that will make it look/feel more like college football...and less and less with PR Rap Music, Commercials, etc...booming from the speakers.

Let the BAND PLAY!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Most all basketball bands, including USF, are mic'ed.  That's different being inside for balance levels.  

I think there is a difference being mic'ed for TV vs being mic'ed for "Amplification" for live sound (aka to help make the sound much LOUDER).

Maybe that's what some are trying to say in this thread.

KL