• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Bell I trust

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

55 minutes ago, MikeG said:

There is really no mystery involved here imo. In the video the OP posted, Bell describes his 30 year long relationship and fondness for Coach Strong. All the other stats, results, where he coached etc was trumped by one obvious thing.

This was a friend hire.

Does it work out? The first game sure didn't give me a lot of faith. But even if this hiring was sketchy-- you have to let it play out. It has the potential to turn out into yet another CCS blunder. But until the guy s giving several games or even half a season to see how it pans out, I don't see how you can flatly state this is a complete failure.

Perhaps the title of the thread should be "In Bell I Hope and Pray"

This is probably better at destroying confidence in KB then all the posts I created combined, kudos.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

@puc86 definitely has an excellent argument about this hire. I think we need to agree on that and chalk the hire up to a friend giving another friend a leg up. Most programs would hire someone with a resume that showed the level of experience or building up to the point to be in this type of position at this level of play. At best-- Bell was a bit of a reach and through his name recognition and friendship, seemed reasonable if you don't dig too hard.

Either way-- what is done is done. Moving forward-- the concepts of what he is trying to incorporate on offense sound difficult for the guys playing at Harvard. Pro Style with a spread component? How? That seems like two systems that are impossible to blend. Perhaps he figured it out. I think @Bull Dozer mentioned that he had to "dumb down" the offense for the first game. No kidding-- it sounds pretty intense and not something you just put into place without a ton of work. You might start with certain parts and work towards the full package after the team had success with live play. Yeah-- dumb it down, please. Way down. Not just because of Barnett-- the whole team has to learn this and be able to reliably do it. We go into that first game and one of the guys who you probably put a ton of time into teaching it is suddenly out of the picture. And the defense you are playing against is just standing there watching you run this offense and all they have to do is play a soft cover and our guys end up running into them.

Granted-- the fact we were down by so much so early, abandoned the run in an effort to try to catch up (and making ourselves easier to defend upfront. It sounds like a cascade of errors and lack of any adjustment. It seems like a flawed game plan from the jump. That scares me. Have we possibly gone from a lousy situation that was the last 6 games last year to something even worse?

I thought this was just a bad night but with some more thought regarding Bell's comments, it sounds like we are biting off way more than we can chew here on offense. And a bunch of quick 3 and outs are going to devastate the defense as the game goes on.

Yikes.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,221
  • Days Won:  25

#PlayFasterScoreZero #FailedToExecute #FailedToPrepare #CantExectueWithoutBeingPrepared

Edited by TheGreatOutlaw

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, TheGreatOutlaw said:

#PlayFasterScoreZero #FailedToExecute #FailedToPrepare #CantExectueWithoutBeingPrepared

#QBsucks...

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

#QBsucks...

He sure did that game. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

#HashtagFail

1 minute ago, MikeG said:

#HashtagFail

I failed to prepare properly. Let me find someone or something to shift the blame on.

1 minute ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

I failed to prepare properly. Let me find someone or something to shift the blame on.

perhaps a time machine--  hashtags are sort of a 2018 thing these days imo'

just ask instagram

Edited by MikeG

17 minutes ago, MikeG said:

perhaps a time machine--  hashtags are sort of a 2018 thing these days imo'

just ask instagram

If had that we could still be in the Big East and have CJL at the helm.

• Like 1