• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Bell I trust

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If your offense needs great OLine play it will not happen here. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Agree can't depend on O line, Gilbert did that too much as well. If he can move it towards more of a spread/option, maybe we can get the ball in space with our speedy guys. Ford with a 5yd cushion would be magic.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

OC Bell signed a 2 year contact back in January. I think that tells you everything we need to know. Everything Kelly and Strong said and did back over the winter gives me every reason to believe they all have 2 seasons.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

There is really no mystery involved here imo. In the video the OP posted, Bell describes his 30 year long relationship and fondness for Coach Strong. All the other stats, results, where he coached etc was trumped by one obvious thing.

This was a friend hire.

Does it work out? The first game sure didn't give me a lot of faith. But even if this hiring was sketchy-- you have to let it play out. It has the potential to turn out into yet another CCS blunder. But until the guy s giving several games or even half a season to see how it pans out, I don't see how you can flatly state this is a complete failure.

Perhaps the title of the thread should be "In Bell I Hope and Pray"

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,514

2 hours ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

The result sucked, but unlike Charlie he talks the talk and doesn't blame anyone else but himself.

GTFOH, he takes full blame a week later, after CCS and the players got chitted on 4 this game. CCS took responsibility plenty of times. I just dont understand this false narratove that he doesnt do so. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

A offense is only as good as the QB doesn't matter how great the system is.  Its like a finely tuned high performance engine with a bad spark plug..it just wont work at 100%.  Also the receivers and other players have to be on the same page but the QB is maybe the most important part id say.

Not saying we have to switch from Blake or even if we have the QB that could run the system he wants to run.

The idea Bell wants to run a complex offense with college players sort of scares me some.  Lets see if we see some progress this week.  Luckily we still have time till conference play to get this dialed in.

Edited by Bulls On Parade
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612

I really liked the Bell hire but last week was extremely disappointing.  This offense has worked in high school, D3, D2 it just needs the right parts and outside of Ford I don’t know how many of the rest of our players fit his scheme.  As atrocious as last week was, I’m willing to give him more than one game before I call it a bad hire.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,221
  • Days Won:  25

25 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

GTFOH, he takes full blame a week later, after CCS and the players got chitted on 4 this game. CCS took responsibility plenty of times. I just dont understand this false narratove that he doesnt do so. 

Really has Charlie said the team was not prepared to play and that is on me. I have to do a better job at coaching and getting the players ready to play football?

No Charlie said we weren't big enough, we aren't strong enough, we need more fans in the  stands, we need more money donated, we need an IPF and better facilities,  we need be players for our team, and we were not prepared. He never puts the blame on him.

Edited by TheGreatOutlaw

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

Really has Charlie said the team was not prepared to play and that is on me. I have to do a better job at coaching and getting the players ready to play football.

And if that’s what he has kept saying at what point does taking responsibility involve doing something productive about it? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,221
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

And if that’s what he has kept saying at what point does taking responsibility involve doing something productive about it? 

He just finds more excuses and other excuses to blame things on. He kicked ten plus players off the team because he lost control of them and they did not buy into his excuses is my assumption. Salomon probably would have been great in this offense.

Charlie needs to reverse the streak and put together 7 wins to be .500 in his last 14 games. Let that settle in.

Edited by TheGreatOutlaw
  • Upvote 1